What's new

Lame small tire build

My first samurai had 4.62 diffs, stock tcase and 31’s. I didn’t do a lot of difficult trails with that setup but somehow it did highway pretty well. Maybe that motor wasn’t as tired as my current one is.

I could see that, 3.73 to 4.62 is a pretty good jump. I think with lower tcase gears, 4.62s would be fine also, just depends on off-road VS highway.

The stock low range is pathetic though, they should have came with 4:1 stock :laughing:

Got adventurous and drove it the 10min to work today. However it blew some coolant out of the cap on the way back from lunch. Never had that happen before, temp gauge looked normal on the drive. Hoping just a bad cap?

02A12E81-5EFA-4696-8734-CD57EEBF07CA.jpeg

Yep I have an overflow bottle hooked up. It has some coolant in it but feels cool to the touch.

Commuting in a Sami is pretty entertaining. :laughing:

I've been driving mine for a few weeks. It's only 2.5 miles but up a decent grade so it's like 35-40 if I'm lucky, although I did pass a loaded semi the other day :lmao:

When I was young I drove my old tintop on the freeway long distances all the time no matter the weather and thought nothing of it. Now I’m middle age and the ten minute commute to the office is too much :laughing:

I ordered a new radiator cap, let’s hope that’s the fix. Don’t really feel like building my swift motor and swapping that yet.

When I was young I drove my old tintop on the freeway long distances all the time no matter the weather and thought nothing of it. Now I’m middle age and the ten minute commute to the office is too much :laughing:

I ordered a new radiator cap, let’s hope that’s the fix. Don’t really feel like building my swift motor and swapping that yet.
This is why I don’t give up shitboxes. You get out of practice and it turns you into a massive pussy. Heck, just driving the Ranger or Aerostar after driving the Lesbarus feels like a huge downgrade even if they’re all the same age and the difference is just a reflection of car vs pickup vs van. No way you’ll have the motivation to drive a crawler or classic car on the road if you are driving a modern car for 99% of your mileage.

I drive brand new stuff at work all the time, I still like the old junk, it has character.

The samurai drives so bad with bias tires at 3 psi, it just makes you laugh.

Although a 30+ min commute might be a different story :laughing:

This is why I don’t give up shitboxes. You get out of practice and it turns you into a massive pussy. Heck, just driving the Ranger or Aerostar after driving the Lesbarus feels like a huge downgrade even if they’re all the same age and the difference is just a reflection of car vs pickup vs van. No way you’ll have the motivation to drive a crawler or classic car on the road if you are driving a modern car for 99% of your mileage.
I know, i've gone soft. even my 20yr old subaru is like driving a luxury car.

I find it hilarious when people end up with having similar fleets even though they are from all over the place. I had a subaru as my DD since I was 16 (different ones not the same entire time) and then usually had a lifted squarebody or a samurai as my playtoy and had multiples of each through the years. Currently have a 96 Impreza EJ18 as DD but no playtoy since selling my last samurai.

weird coolant leak issues ate up some of my weekend. New radiator cap and thermostat just made the leaks reappear elsewhere. Poured some blue devil stop leak in it, never doing that again because it just filled the heater core with jello for awhile. Eventually it worked itself out.

Ran it without the cap for awhile and saw some bubbles, feared the head gasket was bad until I saw the water pump pouring coolant out of the weep hole. Theorized that the pump had a bad seal and was sucking/pumping air into the cooling system. New water pump and everything seems ok so far……

Top Back Refresh