What's new

Java's F450 RV

Just use a multimeter inline for the amp measurement. You won't need anywhere near the 10 amp capacity.

FWIW
So far everything you've described happens to be the same as what I went through with my parasitic battery draw issue.

The 30* and colder weather hastened the problem.
There was a 3-day period with 50* temps; started up.
Temps dipped/labored attempt to start; fail.

It started right up yesterday, I started it at lunch as well, but no issues after sitting for 6 hours each time.

I went with more robust cable. I had always felt the OEM stuff was undersized.

At a casual glance, mine looked fine. But after replacing them, I cut one open at the end and there was corrosion an inch and a half or more back into the cable under the insulation.

I will take a closer look at mine when I go poking around.
Just use a multimeter inline for the amp measurement. You won't need anywhere near the 10 amp capacity.
I will try this afternoon if its not snowing.

I left it unplugged last night also, its ~35 out today. We will see if it wants to start. Its kind of seeming intermittent Battery tester arrived as well.

I will take a closer look at mine when I go poking around.
You can test battery cables and charging cables by measuring resistance along the run. Don't have to disconnect them first either. Should be zero if the cable and connections are good.

You can test battery cables and charging cables by measuring resistance along the run. Don't have to disconnect them first either. Should be zero if the cable and connections are good.
That's not a good test of current capability though.
If a volt meter is present a resistance check is of little use. Have your wife kid crank it over while you measure voltage drop of the cables connections etc.

This machine had a ground cable with .01 ohms of resistance but 4v drop when cranking.

jbWvUwLktWv7VDCNoRFvrpLA=w677-h902-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

That's not a good test of current capability though.
If a volt meter is present a resistance check is of little use. Have your wife kid crank it over while you measure voltage drop of the cables connections etc.

I'm not saying it's a be all end all test, but it can be useful if you suspect there's internal corrosion like PAToyota was saying.

I will try this afternoon if its not snowing.

I left it unplugged last night also, its ~35 out today. We will see if it wants to start. Its kind of seeming intermittent Battery tester arrived as well.
Be aware of capacitor charging though. I usually jumper the battery cable to the post then connect my meter in series, then disconnect the jumper from post to cable. That prevents you from charging caps through your meter fuse.

No start this afternoon.

After cranking Connected together and in truck this was the reading both sides. (one was 132 one was 133)

20230227_152118.jpg

Separated, not connected to anything this was the result.

20230227_153005.jpg

No start this afternoon.

After cranking Connected together and in truck this was the reading both sides. (one was 132 one was 133)

20230227_152118.jpg

Separated, not connected to anything this was the result.

20230227_153005.jpg
So batteries are completely dead 0%
:eek:

So it was on the tender or not?
Voltage resting 12.45 but battery is 100% bad is weird

And my meter must be out of batteries.... It's says 17.xx volts on the batteries?

I don't think that's right. :lmao:

Yeah... and its a 9v battery. Didn't have one and decided beer was good last night.

What size or model trickle charger
It charges off the main Victron (Multilplus 3kw, it is set for AGM though) house battery charger. Once voltage is more than 13 on the house bank the solenoid triggers and connects the house and start batteries.

But I think my house batteries are pissy too. Down to 11V this am. Been unplugged since Sunday PM.....

Yeah... and its a 9v battery. Didn't have one and decided beer was good last night.

It charges off the main Victron (Multilplus 3kw, it is set for AGM though) house battery charger. Once voltage is more than 13 on the house bank the solenoid triggers and connects the house and start batteries.

But I think my house batteries are pissy too. Down to 11V this am. Been unplugged since Sunday PM.....
What ever you are doing is not working out too great unless artic temps are super problematic.
Did you ever get the heating working for the house batts?

So you are trickle charging the cranking batteries by connecting to the house with a AGM charge profile?
Is that smart?

What ever you are doing is not working out too great unless artic temps are super problematic.
Did you ever get the heating working for the house batts?
Heater and fridge were running.... Heat mat does work on the batteries. Comes on ~35

Charger is set to AGM profile.

So you are trickle charging the cranking batteries by connecting to the house with a AGM charge profile?
Is that smart?
Maybe not? But the AGM and flooded profiles are not that far off. Just a higher peak voltage when bulk charging.

Maybe not? But the AGM and flooded profiles are not that far off. Just a higher peak voltage when bulk charging.
But how does it direct the charge to the house or start batteries when paralleled? Path of least resistance?
The AGM's have a much lower resistance than flooded lead acid, so it might just overcharge the house batteries?

A $35 maintainer might be the better solution to maintain the starting batteries.

But how does it direct the charge to the house or start batteries when paralleled? Path of least resistance?
The AGM's have a much lower resistance than flooded lead acid, so it might just overcharge the house batteries?
The charger is at the house battery bank. Could be? I am not sure to be honest.

IIRC there is a starting battery output on the charger, I just didnt want to run another wire :homer:

Top Back Refresh