What's new

I need a good batter recipe

IUsedtoBendCars

Professional Lurker
Member Number
Loc
Nevada
A couple of months ago I told my boys we were doing pork chops for dinner. The immediate response was " I don't like pork chops" from both of them. I said you can't say that until you've had "my pork chops ". So I went into panic mode of kow I could cook pork they would like. I sliced them into strips and breaded them with a recipe I found online for onion rings. I deep fried the pork strips and they came out awesome. We also did fresh cut fries that we sliced with an apple core cutter.
The problem is I didn't write down the batter recipe and the couple I have tried since haven't turned out the same. They are flakey and fall off or just taste too doughy. So what do you guys go to for breading stuff??

Reactions: 2JZ
Wash/dry product
Lightly dredge in seasoned flour, shake off excess
Dredge through seasoned beaten egg
Back through the flour this time upon removal squeeze in palm of hand
Back through the egg
Then back through the flour, shake off excess
Deep Fry
Season
Edit: 1/2tsp baking powder in 1cup flour

Last edited:
Throw in some soda for the fluff factor
That’d be a wet batter
Usually a good ratio is a 1:1
1cup soda water to 1cup flour
Best bet is always 1/2 beer, half flour
Cake flour will be a schmidgin fluffier
Then there’s Tempura... but why.

Beer batters are a shortcut because the CO2 is already there and doesn't require the same chemical reaction to create the bubbles. You also get added flavor; I prefer red ales (shoot, now I need to post in the bread thread about beer breads).

There are some thoughts on chilling the batter ahead to thicken but experiment on what works in your kitchen. The refrigeration might also help to drive some of the water out (again to thicken).

One other critical point is to use clean oil or at least only fry whatever you cooked last. Frying fish and then pork chops in the same vat is going to be nasty. I've tried to recycle the turkey oil and that is a non-starter. Veggies can use the same oil but meats require their own fresh oil. I hate getting an appetizer of onion rings, mozz sticks, or whatever, and I can smell the last batch of fish or calamari. And of course the oil itself will eventually turn rancid on its own. Pan frying is more economical than a deep fryer for that reason alone. But man, homemade french fries or potato chips are the bomb.

Food science is awesome =)

ETA more:

Cook's Illustrated (AKA America's Test Kitchen) is always a go-to to brush up on technique. And, everyone's kitchen should have a copy of "The Joy of Cooking"; older versions teach how to skin small game (think squirrel, rabbit, etc). That alone is why it's one of my bibles.

Last edited:
My goto beer batter is Martha Stewart's recipe. I add enough beer though so it's on the thin side, more like a tempura. Comes out very crispy and doesn't weigh down or overpower whatever you're frying.
20230813_140208.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
For pork chops:

I would buy the thin ones 1/2"-3/4"
trim the big chunks of fat (not for health reasons they just cook too fast to render)
pat dry
dredge in seasoned flour shake off excess
dip in seasoned beaten egg
dredge in panko bread crumbs (check the asian food section of the store)
pan fry in the cast iron until golden brown

Serve sliced with Katsu sauce (it's like really thick worcestershire sauce again check the asian food section)
Traditionally served with shredded cabbage for some reason, I like to have an asian salad or white rice.

Thick pork chops get cooked like a good steak: cast iron, butter baste, etc., I don't really like thick breaded chops.

Crock Pot Mississippi Pork Chops🐖
Imagine pork chops so tender, they make a pillow feel like a pile of rocks. That's this recipe!.
Ingredients:
6 boneless pork chops.
1 packet ranch seasoning.
1 packet au jus seasoning.
10-12 pepperoncini peppers.
1/4 cup pepperoncini pepper juice (optional).
1/2 cup unsalted butter, sliced into pats.

Directions:

Optional: Sear pork chops for a couple minutes per side in a skillet over medium high heat with oil or butter.
Place pork chops in a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
Sprinkle ranch and au jus seasonings over pork chops.
Pour pepperoncini juice around pork chops if using.
Place pepperoncini peppers on and around pork chops.
Add butter slices on top of the pork chops.
Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours, or high for 1-2 hours, until pork reaches 145F.
Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

A buddy of mine mention City Chicken to me one time. After trying this recipe, my family is sold!

You will never convince me that city chicken is not just a euphemism for rat. Also the guy in that video for Food Wishes has an odd and unsettling cadence when he speaks, it's so distracting that I can't enjoy the videos.

I noticed some mentions in here about Martha stewart,cadence and the word fluffier.
I'm afraid you've all degenerated into panzy housewives:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh