What's new

Ford van 4wd conversion with SD coils. Who has done it?

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Anyone have a parts list? Rear fuel tank swap, too?

You can see my thread on my class C ford Van, it's mostly the same except for the fuel tank.

You can see my thread on my class C ford Van, it's mostly the same except for the fuel tank.

Awesome, I forgot all about that thread but I really liked it when I looked at it before.

I think the sop for a while was to cut the fuel tank, shorten it and weld it back together, even the plastic ones

What engine tranny and t case? Some 2wd 5r110s take a tcase

Post pics

Reactions: DMG
I think the sop for a while was to cut the fuel tank, shorten it and weld it back together, even the plastic ones

What engine tranny and t case? Some 2wd 5r110s take a tcase

Post pics
Unfortunately it is 5.4/4r70w. I am talking to a tuner about swapping in a 6r80 with a standalone and tuning the trans stuff out of the pcm but i may just swap in a 4wd 4r70w with a manual transfer case.

20240215_164016.jpg
20240215_163856.jpg

Unfortunately it is 5.4/4r70w. I am talking to a tuner about swapping in a 6r80 with a standalone and tuning the trans stuff out of the pcm

As cool as that would be, if you're traveling and such, I'd probably go with the drop in 4wd 4r70w to K.I.S.S.

Either way, I'll be following:smokin:

BTW, when you get to that point, I spent 8 plus hours building a functional shifter box with a nice trim piece for my 4wd express van, I should have just bought the jb cable shifter to begin with

As cool as that would be, if you're traveling and such, I'd probably go with the drop in 4wd 4r70w to K.I.S.S.

Either way, I'll be following:smokin:

BTW, when you get to that point, I spent 8 plus hours building a functional shifter box with a nice trim piece for my 4wd express van, I should have just bought the jb cable shifter to begin with

Going from 3.73s to 4.10s or 4.30s will help too. I wish it was a V10/5r110 but it was almost impossible to find any high top/extended that didn’t have rust holes in the east coast so I took what I could get. I just can’t tow heavy.

Going from 3.73s to 4.10s or 4.30s will help too. I wish it was a V10/5r110 but it was almost impossible to find any high top/extended that didn’t have rust holes in the east coast so I took what I could get. I just can’t tow heavy.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, there's so much value in a 4wd van swap that you can swap it, learn what works and what doesn't, drive it, accept a ridiculous offer and buy the 2wd v10 van you want and swap that

Saw this posted the other day, didn't really know whats different about a quigley tank.

Saw this posted the other day, didn't really know whats different about a quigley tank.

It’s cut down to make room for a transfer case.

I have heard that the c&c van rear mount tank will work. I am also going to measure the 44 gallon tank in a friend’s excursion.

It’s cut down to make room for a transfer case.

I have heard that the c&c van rear mount tank will work. I am also going to measure the 44 gallon tank in a friend’s excursion.

My '97 E350 SRW had the 35gal rear tank only. It was a cutaway though (bus body). The 55gal rear was available on some configurations.

Top Back Refresh