What's new

First plasma table build

I love Carling rocker switches but damn I hate trying to get them installed... I started buying the plastic housings to make it much easier to only cut the one hole.

I'm finally putting the Xmas presents for my wife's SXS, LED whips and rock lights.
This 50" rig doesn't have the real estate I'm used to in regards of adding switches, with winch enable and in/out there's only a few left in the prime area and 2 locations to the rear of the shifter. That location would be perfect for these two lights but I fear the dogs platform (between the seats) would constantly turn them on/off.

In front of the shifter there is a perfect area for switches but no pre cutouts in the plastic like all the other locations.

So I drew up shape that I thought would fit and cut it out of some .100 aluminum sheet.

Had to modify it a few times but finally got it dialed in. Pretty amazed that I could cut this part with my El cheapo rig. This type of part is absolutely what I had in mind when set out to build this table.

1000012399.jpg

1000012402.jpg

1000012405.jpg

1000012406.jpg

Spent a bunch more time figuring out OnShape sheet metal parts and finally tried to use the "spotting" function in Sheetcam/LinuxCNC. Took way to fuckin long to get all that working but I did get it in the end.
That feature is going to be really awesome as I much prefer drilled holes in the smaller diameters over the plasma cut holes. (With the understanding I have not dialed in much of my cut quality)

Figured out how to put the tabs on bend relief lines, not sure I should have used them on these parts, I'll weld them up when I add the gussets.
1000012797.jpg

1000012798.jpg

1000012800.jpg

I never really used the spot feature… but it was super nice to be able to do it.

Yeah… drilled holes win:

I never really used the spot feature… but it was super nice to be able to do it.

Yeah… drilled holes win:

It's probably due to my inability to spend the time to dial in cut settings...
But I don't mind drilling holes of a smaller diameter so this should really speed up general layout.
I can think of many times just having a bolt pattern layout would have been so awesome.

It's probably due to my inability to spend the time to dial in cut settings...
But I don't mind drilling holes of a smaller diameter so this should really speed up general layout.
I can think of many times just having a bolt pattern layout would have been so awesome.

I would say less then 2X material thickness and you are going to have a hard time regardless.... At that holes under .5" are not easy on a plasma. I wouldn't beat yourself up too much on it.

I would say less then 2X material thickness and you are going to have a hard time regardless.... At that holes under .5" are not easy on a plasma. I wouldn't beat yourself up too much on it.
That does make me feel better actually.
:beer:

Do you still have the listing where you bought the trucks and otion pieces. Thinking about building one and trying to budget cost but no pattern of terms I put in the search gives me anything like what you bought

Do you still have the listing where you bought the trucks and otion pieces. Thinking about building one and trying to budget cost but no pattern of terms I put in the search gives me anything like what you bought

This is his store.(and mine came from Turkey as well, fast shipping too)

While they work fine I will be replacing them with the SBR linear rails I have bought.
The SBR rails will be more work to get going but will result in a better table I think.

When I built the frame it didn't have any gussets and I didn't think it would be a problem. I figured I'd add them later but the way I did the Y axis rails I can't add anything to them or the trucks will hit them, so I blew it off.

I started noticing some weird shit happening when the table would make high acceleration moves around corners etc. and I wondered if that was due to the movement of the table either loosing steps or sliding the material. I figured I better add some gussets to restrain the table from gyrating.

Spoiler alert these gussets made a HUuGGGEEE difference In the table performance, I just cut some parts at 140 IPM where I could not do that previously without obvious cut quality problems.

On the non control cabinet side I was able to get a full X. I used 5/16" riv nuts in the legs.
I made to support rods out of 1/2" EMT conduit. Smash the ends flat, drill holes. Easy, cheap and flexible of future upgrades.

1000012857.jpg

I had some laser cut "squares" from the local short iron store. They made great gussets for the front and rear of the table. Used 5/16 riv nuts for them too.

1000012859.jpg

1000012861.jpg

And lastly on the control cabinet side I put the cabinet right directly in the way of any sort of X like the other side so I did one gusset tube as long as I could get it.

1000012860.jpg

Should've put some turnbuckles in there so you can both pull it into square and pretension it at the same time. :laughing:

Should've put some turnbuckles in there so you can both pull it into square and pretension it at the same time. :laughing:
Trust me I thought about just using cable to do this but I'm not sure that would be easier than the conduits.

I had ratchet straps on it for a while after I built it but they kept getting in the way I figured I was gonna fuck something (limit switches/wiring) up if I kept messing with them.

When I built the frame it didn't have any gussets and I didn't think it would be a problem. I figured I'd add them later but the way I did the Y axis rails I can't add anything to them or the trucks will hit them, so I blew it off.

I started noticing some weird shit happening when the table would make high acceleration moves around corners etc. and I wondered if that was due to the movement of the table either loosing steps or sliding the material. I figured I better add some gussets to restrain the table from gyrating.

Spoiler alert these gussets made a HUuGGGEEE difference In the table performance, I just cut some parts at 140 IPM where I could not do that previously without obvious cut quality problems.

On the non control cabinet side I was able to get a full X. I used 5/16" riv nuts in the legs.
I made to support rods out of 1/2" EMT conduit. Smash the ends flat, drill holes. Easy, cheap and flexible of future upgrades.

1000012857.jpg

I had some laser cut "squares" from the local short iron store. They made great gussets for the front and rear of the table. Used 5/16 riv nuts for them too.

1000012859.jpg

1000012861.jpg

And lastly on the control cabinet side I put the cabinet right directly in the way of any sort of X like the other side so I did one gusset tube as long as I could get it.

1000012860.jpg
If the woman don't find you handsome, at least they will find you handy :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh