What's new

Elk

2JZ

Member Number
A friend gave me 10 pounds of elk meat. Steaks and ground. Ive made chili, tacos, and burgers from the ground. And did a hatch green chili stew with one of the steaks.
Looking for recipes for the 4 pounds of steaks I have left. I should be getting some more soon, as he just got his archery elk last week.
Post up your elk recipes here.

Treat it like a very fine cut of beef. Sear, grill, or reverse sear (sear then cook vs cook than sear respectively) depending on how you are set-up. SPG ahead of time. A pat of butter, herb butter if you have it - or make it yourself, never hurts regardless of the marbling. You can make a really impressive steak with just an oven and a burner but cast iron is a requisite (or anything else that can do double duty like Caphalon). Sous-vide is a good way to to accomplish the cook and sear if you want to spend the time and have a blow torch for finishing quickly. The sous-vide method is a set and forget cook vs a time saver.

You have a very good friend!

Last edited:
Egg wash, roll in panko and fry in oil thank me later

Reactions: 2JZ
Cooked up some Elk round steak yesterday. Made elk green chili stew, with hatch chilis my mom brought me from New Mexico. Fried up a few pieces of bacon, then browned the floured chunks in the fat. Added the green chilis, beef broth, onion and red pepper, with a little liquid smoke. Cooked that almost 9 hours in a cast iron dutch oven in the oven at 200*. It was hella good.

I make a lot of ek fajitas as well. Slice it thin when it mostly frozen. Homemade seasoning over the meat in a bag and shake the fuck out of it. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours or more if possible. Cook in cast iron pan. Throw in more peppers and onions with more seasoning. Cook until done.

Yummm

Whipped up the best meal Ive had in quite a while...

Smoked on the Yoder for 40 min at 200*, then seared on the Blackstone, Elk steak marinated in Korean BBQ sauce, jasmine rice infused with hatch chilis, grilled onions, and of course…bacon.
With a side of margarita.
Nom Nom.
IMG_5213.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5211.jpeg
    IMG_5211.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Top Back Refresh