What's new

Cooling Fan Tech

connector ideas?

BMW "Brose" fan with triangle connector
I am thinking a 120amp Anderson connector...
If I could find a pigtail or new housing I would just use that, I don't have the fan yet otherwise I'd have more info on the existing connector.

1711928866179.jpeg
It’s a BMW, guaranteed you can find dozens of them in the gank-a-part. Most disposable vehicle ever. :flipoff2:

Not sure if it was ever mentioned here but this seems very economical fully featured device to provide PWM cooling fan control.

Not sure if it was ever mentioned here but this seems very economical fully featured device to provide PWM cooling fan control.

I bought one for my LS swap. Haven’t got it started yet, but instructions are relatively clear and wiring was simple.

Check my maths...

This skid steer has a 23"x13" engine cooler core 4.25" thick the other half of the radiator is hydraulic oil cooler of similar size at 23"x9"x4.25"
The engine is 73 horse power.
It has a 18" ish fan spinning a max of 2900 RPM. I don't have any specs of the fan blade but I have a picture.
The fan motor is 14.53 cc per rev with a max pressure of 2600 psi
The pump to drive it is for the sake of easy maths 10 GPM (21cc per rev)
Using online calculators for hydraulic horsepower I am getting 15 horse power, converted to watts is 10,000+ watts....
Are we really that under powered in electric fan cooling with 850w fans?

1711143174294.jpeg
1711143145242.jpeg
1711141995238.jpeg
I tested the WFO wind speed coming out of the radiator on one of these today.
AVG 20 MPH

Anyone know of NPT threaded temp sensor with a Deutsch connector (outside of the AEM).
I'd like a OEM unit if possible.

Anyone know of NPT threaded temp sensor with a Deutsch connector (outside of the AEM).
I'd like a OEM unit if possible.
Deutsch isn't OEM

Just use a standard Chevy one and crimp a GT150 connector

Deutsch isn't OEM

Just use a standard Chevy one and crimp a GT150 connector
It depends on the OEM though doesn't it?

That was my plan I just hate the XXXpak connectors with a passion.

You can't have a heavy equipment connection and a OEM automotive part.

Gotta pick your poison...

IDK what's holding you from using an AEM, I put that shit everywhere.

You can't have a heavy equipment connection and a OEM automotive part.

Gotta pick your poison...

IDK what's holding you from using an AEM, I put that shit everywhere.
I just figured I'd ask, a lot of guys are like myself recognizing parts from their day job that can be repurposed.

Nothing wrong with the AEM part, it's pricey for what it is.

I'll probably solder a Deutsch pigtail on a GM sensor, I'm really thrifty like that :rainbow:

I couldn't figure out the BMW connector from the web so I have a SB50 Anderson connector coming. I don't need water/dirt protection so it should be fine as is.
FYI the SB50 is rated at 120 amps and HOT pluggable at 50 amps. Should be perfect for this fan.

How do you handle the PWM wire ?

I couldn't figure out the BMW connector from the web so I have a SB50 Anderson connector coming. I don't need water/dirt protection so it should be fine as is.
FYI the SB50 is rated at 120 amps and HOT pluggable at 50 amps. Should be perfect for this fan.

The only potential issue is the largest contact is 6ga. Not sure how big the wires are on the fan, it comes in today so I can test it all then.

Did some testing on my fans and core. Got an average of 25MPH across the front of the core. Velocity behind the fans is not laminar. Its directed out in a cone shape with high and low spots. That was with both of the 600W fans at 100%.
Next I want to force air on the front of the core and measure velocity after the core.
Tested the core resistance.
Used a leaf blower with 80MPH at front surface of core and 60MPH at back surface. So 20MPH loss.

Thinking about it now, I’ll redo it in 20MPH steps to see how linear or exponential the loss gets.

BMW connector vs SB50
There are "environmental" boots for them too.

1000012351.jpg

They aren't waterproof IIRC.

That was my main driver to go with a Spal instead.

They aren't waterproof IIRC.

That was my main driver to go with a Spal instead.
I was gonna bring that up...
The fan I bought in the front you can see clearly into the windows of the motor and the windings.

The 1k fan motor doesn't appear to be the same design.

I was gonna bring that up...
The fan I bought in the front you can see clearly into the windows of the motor and the windings.

The 1k fan motor doesn't appear to be the same design.
That's a good point.

Top Back Refresh