What's new

Cooling Fan Tech

It would be cool to figure out what that connector is, looks like a hearty unit. Just did a little surfing on Broses website, looks like they offer fans up to 1200w. But no real details beyond that.

Electric motors and drives - Products - Brose Fahrzeugteile

Here's one of those BMW Brose fan motors itself, not that it's helpful for much. Just trying to learn more about 'em

09-15 F01 F02 F04 BMW 750I 750LI N63 RADIATOR COOLING FAN MOTOR BROSE Y6763 | eBay

Edit - First time I've actually seen the chassis side power harness, at least we know what it looks like now:

Electric Fan Wiring Harness / Connector 61136987020
1441455bdcb9c13f339948cb1d23ab9b332ae1db2602308720.jpg
I believe Kostal makes that connector and uses a weird terminal in it.

You can buy a chinese version here:

Unfortunately, looks like they use ultrasonic wire bonding instead of crimping. See: Ultrasonic joining technology systems | TELSONIC Ultrasonics The terminal looks identical. However, "Kostal LSK8" terminals might fit, and they're crimpable.

A good alternative might be Yazaki 58X connectors, which are weathersealed and use basic, common, inexpensive, FASTON 6.3mm and 9.5mm terminals

I believe Kostal makes that connector and uses a weird terminal in it.

You can buy a chinese version here:

Unfortunately, looks like they use ultrasonic wire bonding instead of crimping. See: Ultrasonic joining technology systems | TELSONIC Ultrasonics The terminal looks identical. However, "Kostal LSK8" terminals might fit, and they're crimpable.

A good alternative might be Yazaki 58X connectors, which are weathersealed and use basic, common, inexpensive, FASTON 6.3mm and 9.5mm terminals
Definitely sonic welded.

Thanks for the extra info though.

Trying to get my design locked in for the shroud I disassembled the brose fan to see about building a aluminum shroud for it

Should be easy, it has a 4 bolt symmetrical pattern mount.

1000012852.jpg

1000012853.jpg
1000012855.jpg

1000012856.jpg

FWIW, I work the Rod Repair Shop at some of the NSRA shows, if we see 80 cars on a weekend show 40 are cooling fan related problems.
People will wire up their fans with chinesium relays and wire, use a 20A relay and expect it to work, LMAO.
I’m going to start taking pictures of some of the stuff I find.
Also the A/C companies like Vintage Air recommend a 70A circuit for electric cooling fans.

Can confirm the FPM works well. I forgot to cycle power while setting up so I made it more difficult but it controls the engine and trans right where I set them and it’s super easy to change temp range which changes the operating temp where it settles in. I ended up tapping into the same wire from the autometer sensor to guage in the control enclosure. 3M foam taped it to the side of the enclosure.

Can confirm the FPM works well. I forgot to cycle power while setting up so I made it more difficult but it controls the engine and trans right where I set them and it’s super easy to change temp range which changes the operating temp where it settles in. I ended up tapping into the same wire from the autometer sensor to guage in the control enclosure. 3M foam taped it to the side of the enclosure.

Did you do the setup "live" start engine wait until it got to "set temp" or did you use resistors or something to fake it?

Started engine like normal, no resistors
Press and hold green button
Wait for engine to hit 180
Press green button, low is set
Press and hold red button
Wait for engine to hit 200
Press red button, high is set
It then should blink green saying it is working and fans come on
If you are below low temp the led is green and signals off
I will probably bump the temps up a little as that was a rough number and first attempt at setting the temps
I have read that the LS should be around 195° to run best
I can barely hear the fans most of the time so they must be very low speed

Top Back Refresh