What's new

Chevy engine out of a boat with magneto how to make it run good in a 1985/1986 non smog truck environment ?

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
IM not sure about changing the heads as they are sealed with solid copper gaskets at the moment and would need to pull the o rings to run the same or to run oval port (matched) heads with felpro blue head gaskets.

Compression is about 8.5-9:1, cam is/was a comp cams blower / turbo grind mechanical flat tappet design.

If the cam changes would find a recommended grind in a hydraulic roller.

Ignition is somewhat limited being a vertex magneto so only has mechanical advance and no vacuum advance like another truck engine in my fleet of squares with the HEI ignition.

Ive seen vacuum advance module's for a VW that might work on a vertex mag.

Wanted the vertex as it has a mechanical tach drive and I have a few mechanical drive tachometers.

Last edited:
20220820_075018.jpg

20230715_160119.jpg

Last edited:
Good, mileage for a 454, pull hills good with rpm to spare.

Etc
Etc.

Yes very much so, CHEVY LS6 block and heads Factory LS6 steel standard crankshaft, JE pistons .005 over tool steel pins, crower titanium billet rods, crower roller rocker arms, comp cams cam and solid lifters.

A ton of cash in that eng

Is the rotating assembly balanced?

Boats run at 5k + trucks run at 2500 or so, betting not gonna run worth a shit in a truck. but IDK shit

Also need to change cam and lifters unsure of correct specs of new cam didnt pay good enuf attention to cams in engine building class.

Difference in function square port heads and intake verses oval port heads and intake.

Didnt run it in the boat long enough to get a feel for how it would run and totally different in truck than in boat on the lake.

Also need to change cam and lifters unsure of correct specs of new cam didnt pay good enuf attention to cams in engine building class.

Difference in function square port heads and intake verses oval port heads and intake.

Didnt run it in the boat long enough to get a feel for how it would run and totally different in truck than in boat on the lake.
So do you have rectangular or oval?

Rectangular heads blower manifold on it now, thinking of changing to oval port heads and aluminum edlebrock manifold I have on hand asap.

Also working on building three transmissions two sm465's with my illusive 5 inch stickout 465 main shaft being made (in heat treat) as I type and a early NV 4500 built from part of a 1995 and another part of a later with same gear ratio.

So do you have rectangular or oval?

Last edited:
Have the oval port heads and aluminum manifold.

Just need to have the heads built and manifold matched to intake ports.

Oh about the operating difference between having vacuum advance and not having it in a specific application in this configuration and limited to mechanical advance.

Btw you can communicate without the foul language if you choose to continue in this thread, thanks.

What does any of that have to do with the magnito?

I'm sure that it will be fine. When you set your timing set it at full advance.

Not true, just want to make the parts work.

Thinking of also using the stock LS6 heads and single 4 barrel intake manifold it came with.

Would rather use the magneto but without vacuum advance not sure it would function too well.

Anyone with experience using a mag without vacuum advance on a street truck?

Because you thought that he needed help selecting parts when in reality he just wanted to brag about the parts that he already has...

You have to set your high rpm timing at full advance 32°-34°. This will most likely put your initial timing around 20° and will make this engine hard on starters.

I would throw a roller camshaft, rectangular port intake and 7-850 holley on it and burn rubber.

Most people do shit and ask questions later when they're having trouble. paE has trouble just asking questions and not liking the answers.

This is the second time this whole debocal has been hashed over.

I dont even understand the issue with the magneto. It has a mech advance, its perfectly functional as is, its tuneable and adjustable.

Wants good mpg and rect port bbc.

Want to use ls6/7 heads, run a ls6/7 cam.
Went mpg run a edl perf .500/.500 cam and ovals with a 650/700cfm carb, you MIGHT get 8mpg.

This is the worst possible motor to want any thing other than fuck you tires i hate you performance.

Parts can be had at any APS for a HEI but not for a vertex magneto, Just a bit more complicated than a standard distributor.

If TNewb knows how to get the curve correct we can run on in his distributor machine next time I bring any parts up that way.

Just trying to put in operation what I have lying around as the last engine I tried to have built was stolen by a unscrupulous machine shop operator.

I hope (TNewb) when you get to be my age your memory is better than mine.

I hope when im your age im ded.

come on up and get this 14bff the fuck out of my yard while youre at it.

Did you forget google exists?
Lots of info on hamb, speedway has the install and setup instructions (it was litteraly the first result when i used that thar gookle thing)

I also dont understand why youre so worried about the copper head gaskets, they are the best thing to use for constant reuse as they dont peel apart and glue themselfs to the surfaces.

Top Back Refresh