What's new

Buford T - 79 Ford Crew Cab Powerstroke Swap

Holy crap you been busy!

What do you move all this stuff with?
Marketplace?

I buy a ton of super duty trucks for my car lot, sometimes 3 or 4 a week. Everyone knows we have them so it's pretty easy to offload stuff. I did sell the 6.4s on marketplace and they were gone immediately.
What concerns did you have with the '23 truck?
General build quality. The two post covid trucks I have owned had all kinds of little stuff, like dash resetting at random, weird electrical gremlins, etc. The general fit and finish is really lacking also in my opinion. I have a clean 04 super duty and it just feels overall like a better built truck. The 10 speed was already starting to do some funky stuff, it would shift into 7th gear at like 25 mph, then do big bang down shift, it occasionally wouldn't upshift, just stuff that wasn't confidence inspiring in a new truck with 20k miles. I just wasn't prepared to own it out of warranty with the unknowns and also really being hamstringed on fixing it myself. I had bought it right, so after a year and 25k, I only lost about 6k. I used to buy new trucks every 2-3 years, but I guess I'm just over that.

Gotcha. I have several alumiduties and F150s ('17-'23) in my work fleet and wanted to see what you were seeing with yours.

Gotcha. I have several alumiduties and F150s ('17-'23) in my work fleet and wanted to see what you were seeing with yours.
My 19 was pretty solid with the only issue in 40k miles being a failed radio ( just after warranty ended, natch). My 22 f150 was pretty crap as far as electrical stuff and panel alignment, and the 23 F250 was better but sill had gremlins.

Things are still happening in the background on this thing. We are supposed to have rain all next week, so I might get out of farm work and house work.

Last fall I bought out an estate of 7 cars, one of them was a 85 F250 that they told me just to take for scrap, as it was in the woods and basically rusted in half. However, it had a pretty slick set of wheels that look sorta period correct for the dentside, and they were 17's so they would clear super duty brakes. I had to get adapters, but whatever, I doubt this truck will be loaded down like my other ones and I'll keep an eye on them.
20240421_170751.jpg
20240502_140754.jpg
20240502_141707.jpg

This chassis has 4"? I think lift springs up front, I haven't measured the block, but it looks like they added 4". It sits about the same height as my 03 with 4" lift. I figured a 37" tire would fit well, and help keep the 6bt in a happy rpm range. I went shopping for 37's in E rating and about had a stroke. I have a connection that can supposedly get me an employee price set of Grabber X3, but not until next January. Against my better judgement, I picked up these Kanati Mud Hog. They have fair reviews, typical of a cheap tire. If they suck, I'll replace them with the grabbers next year. They ended up being under $1000 shipped to my door, and I had some rebates to get about $75 off that. The pattern reminds me of OG Goodyear MT/R which was one of my favorite all around tire.
kanati-mud-hog.jpg

I was looking at flywheel and clutch stuff, and figured out that it would take a cummins flywheel, machined for a ZF6 pilot, and a 7.3 clutch. I was recommended to Kentucky Clutch, so I called them up, told him what I was building and how much power (not much), $750 and 4 days later and a clutch was delivered by UPS. They machined the flywheel and installed the zf6 pilot bearing, all hardware, ready to go. Good dudes there.
20240503_061406.jpg

20240503_061410.jpg

My 8 year old has been into wrenching a lot recently, so he helped me pull the cab off my Zf6 donor truck.

20240430_171655.jpg

Unrelated to this, but setting up stuff for yet another eventual project, the engine donor for my Foxbody was delivered yesterday too. Complete disaster unloading it, I told them to load it backwards at the end of the trailer, instead it was on the front of a wedge trailer. Pushed the poor toolcat too far and blew the seals on the tilt cylinder, then got in a rush to get off the road with it and forgot I had chained the forks up to stop it leaking and bent the shit out of the fork guard. A state trooper actually stopped because he thought the mustang had hit the car hauler, then told us to get the hell off the road.Trying to not let my ADHD get the best of me and stay focused on the dentside.

20240501_111158.jpg

20240501_120047(1).jpg
20240501_121006.jpg

Popped out the blown turbo, no coolant having 6.4 and sold it sunday for $1800, I paid $2100 for the whole truck and got $400 out of the tailgate and rear bumper, so free ZF6 and a bunch other parts left.

20240505_091035.jpg
20240505_124818.jpg

If it rains as forcasted, I can take a break from pool building and get the ZF6 and Cummins married and into the 09 chassis this week. The 37's I ordered showed up, and honestly I dig them. Hopefully they will balance out ok.
20240506_144309.jpg

Another thing I've been working on: I hate cable throttles, DBW is so much more reliable and easier nowadays. I especially didn't want to mess with running a cable to a TPS to run the VP44 electronically anyhow. Just seems over complex. Working with another cummins super duty swapper, this is the solution. He deserves credit for 99.9%, I just provided some extra motivation and pinouts, etc for throttle pedals. This box takes the input from a super duty pedal and makes it talk to the VP44. He also designed in provisions for cruise, high idle, etc. Even better, it's all open source.

24v dbw1.jpg

24v dbw2.jpg

That pedal converter box is fuckin awesome. Where does one find one of those?
It's open source, developed by a guy named Josh. Basically have to build your own. It's untested still, but he is wicked smart with this stuff.

Here's a link to his Github:

It's open source, developed by a guy named Josh. Basically have to build your own. It's untested still, but he is wicked smart with this stuff.

Here's a link to his Github:
Anyone else not a fucking clue how Github works?
I can never make heads or tails of that shit :homer:

Some have descriptions you can search. A lot of the time its just a good place to point people to for the purpose of collaboration on open source stuff.
Sorry for the hi-jack, I am pretty saavy on most matters of the internet but I very seldom learn anything from the Git's I find.
I suppose if I understood coding it might make more sense.
It would seem helpful to have some pix and explanation of the project in those listings.

Plodding away. Trying to set everything up for some big progress this weekend hopefully.

On wednesday, I ran over to my brother's and used his tire machine to mount up the 37's. I brought them home not seated to add the balance beads I had delivered form amazon, and decided to drive home a truck I just bought and he had hauled to his shop. It almost made it, about 5 miles from home it just shut off. My wife came and rescued me off a pretty busy interchange, and we drug it to a parking lot. I think the alternator is junk maybe, I tossed in some fresh batteries and drove it home, the whole thing needs gone through, but when you buy a $1500 diesel truck out of the auction, this shit happens I guess.
20240508_165923.jpg

The tires made it safely home, and I tossed in 8oz of beads and hit 'em with the homemade cheetah, which is scary as shit.
20240509_093503.jpg

Tossed them on the 09 chassis and powerwashed the grime off, this frame is cleaner than my 2019 was when I traded it in.
20240509_133255.jpg

I dug the cummins out of my lean to, and got it in the shop. The cherry picker is the only thing I have here to move it. My mini excavator is out matched. I also prepped up the engine mounts. I think as of now, my plan is to mount the engine, clean it up in the chassis, and then add the transmission. Mounted in the frame is the easiest way for me to move it around with what I have here.
20240510_064708.jpg

20240510_093838.jpg

I also ordered a FASS for it. I decided to buy the one for the 24v and make it work. Also, summit had it on sale, and i had a coupon, so got about $90 off. I went ahead and picked up a sump kit as well.
fass.jpg

fass sump1.png

Running out now for hopefully a big score off marketplace. Then I'll attempt to get the engine swung into place this afternoon.

I tried to find a replacement motor for my sons but didn't have much luck, the motor is a very generic unit though.
Any idea how you are gonna run it on 24v?

Edit: I are :homer:24v is 24 VALVE not 24 volts....

Last edited:
I tried to find a replacement motor for my sons but didn't have much luck, the motor is a very generic unit though.
Any idea how you are gonna run it on 24v?
I'll just plumb it to the sump, the rest is 24v fittings. There are replacement motors on ebay for the fass

Biiiigggggg score today. On a dentside FB group, there was a guy selling a bed, and he casually mentioned he had new bedsides for it. I hit him up as he was only a little over an hour away, and he agreed to sell both bedsides, a new tailgate, with all the hardware, and the taillights/side markers for $700. I hauled ass up there this morning and snagged them. Prob a little over 2k worth of stuff new, plus shipping it. Pretty stoked to mark this off my budget sheet for this thing.
20240510_121613.jpg
20240510_142527.jpg

Top Back Refresh