What's new

Ashcroft Underdrive

abraded

Member Number
Not sure how much traffic there is on this site for rover content, but I'm trying to find some background on underdrive versions. I've been wanting the additional gearing of an underdrive for some time. I Just stumbled across an older used underdrive to possibly buy. From pictures the attachment of the inner shaft to the planetary gear is different than other versions I have seen. The inner shaft is welded to the gear rather than a splined interface (attahced pic of example of unit like this disassembled on bench). I emailed Ashcroft and Dave wasn't sure this was a solution they had used or if it had been modified after sale at some point. Anyone seen something similar?

Attachments

• Image 3-28-24 at 8.05 AM.jpeg
    Image 3-28-24 at 8.05 AM.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 32
They welded in the planetary gear pins. Servicing those bearings is going to be a bitch.

I'll take it off your hands to save you the headache :flipoff2:

Decided I’d take the gamble and get it. Will see if I can pick up an old borg warner RRC or P38 case to harvest the planetary out of in case this one ever goes bang.

Still haven’t been able to determine if this is just how the Gen 1 underdrives were built or if it’s been modified/welded after the fact.

Top Back Refresh