What's new

A wolf in Jeeps clothing - Goatbuilt 1200 LJ/TJ Chassis build

You guys just using rattle can versions of Steel It for application or using actual spray guns?

Case of rattle cans is $450. Gallon is $435. I'd bet most go with the rattle cans due to less over spray/waste.

I did notice they have a epoxy pre-coat, which sounds like it would be a good strong base. But it doesn't come in rattle cans.

I never realized the stuff is so expensive.

Case of rattle cans is $450. Gallon is $435. I'd bet most go with the rattle cans due to less over spray/waste.

I did notice they have a epoxy pre-coat, which sounds like it would be a good strong base. But it doesn't come in rattle cans.

I never realized the stuff is so expensive.
Yeah, and someone said they used 2 cases on a tube chassis...

Got the axles, thirds, and unit bearings sprayed in primer.

CXdT-UfP9dpRCklscsc3=w584-h1039-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

3jIcBLQ8T7huxux6iSW-=w1773-h997-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

CD07c6xabNR8nU0i428z=w584-h1039-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

The guy from Wild Powersports said 3-4 coats on the axle. After doing both housings, the knuckles, skid plate, and ram mount skid took 10 cans.

Got the axles, thirds, and unit bearings sprayed in primer.

CXdT-UfP9dpRCklscsc3=w584-h1039-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

3jIcBLQ8T7huxux6iSW-=w1773-h997-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

CD07c6xabNR8nU0i428z=w584-h1039-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

The guy from Wild Powersports said 3-4 coats on the axle. After doing both housings, the knuckles, skid plate, and ram mount skid took 10 cans.
That color is sick. :smokin:

What did you use for primer?

And please tell me it's actually greenish or I think I'm having a stroke.

So spraying (assuming gun, not can?) what pointed you toward Steel-It as opposed to Rustoleum or something else? Just curious as I'm also starting to paint some stuff, starting with axles and trying to make that decision. I'd love to not go gloss black, but also trying to figure out what will resist getting sandblasted the best (mostly for rear axle). Axles look good:smokin:

So spraying (assuming gun, not can?) what pointed you toward Steel-It as opposed to Rustoleum or something else? Just curious as I'm also starting to paint some stuff, starting with axles and trying to make that decision. I'd love to not go gloss black, but also trying to figure out what will resist getting sandblasted the best (mostly for rear axle). Axles look good:smokin:

No, I used cans. I have never been super impressed with the durability of spray paint, weather it be rustomleum or duplicolor, or insert brand here. A few buddies have used steel it on their race cars, and it seems to hold up pretty dang well. Also, it has a matte sheen to it that just looks killer. It was pretty costly considering, but we will see how it holds up. On the can vs spray, 1) I didn't have a good air source where I was able to paint, and 2) according to the application instructions, you need a somewhat fancy spray gun.

Well, that sucks. I have no idea what happened, but something wasn't happy. The acid etch primer had 4 days to cure, so it wasn't off gassing. It peeled everything off before I was finished spraying the first shaft. It peeled up the primer almost perfectly. It acted more like air craft stripper......

MzqWUX79mQUDmJz0mPog=w584-h1039-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I was able to use a micro fiber and bring it back down to raw steel. So I must have messed something up. I let it dry overnight and then used a wire wheel to strip everything off. I ended up using duplicolor engine enamel black to give it another shot.

UnlFZNb_Lro7gnb8UOog=w584-h1039-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Note: this was seymour 316L paint over seymour acid etch primer. This is the same combo I used on the trailing arms, and it turned out fine.

Well that’s pretty interesting. Nothing like the randomness of various issues with applying paint.

Got the seats and dash installed over the weekend. Now I can really start planning how I want to mount everything. I am redoing the floor panels and the trans hump to increase foot room and hopefully make it a little more comfortable. With those designed and ready for laser, I am going to design a center console and have that cut at the same time. Slowly moving along.

QaWqeUBVbIDDxxrqtD0=w2200-h1238-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

dTXQFoXlnNzTSe4BEpmU=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Top Back Refresh