What's new

86 CJ7 DUMPSTER BUILD

Okay, so plan today is get the old frame and axle brackets cleaned off. I'm sure it's going to be a miserable day. Sigh.

As you can clearly see, I'm going with the triangulated 4 link rear. I got my brackets and truss from TMR (Black Friday sale), and joints from Barnes. All 1 1/4 heims. My d60 rear has the 3.125" tubes, and TMR was was the only one I could find with that axle size. I'll add some webbing between the truss, and tubes/diff. Probably.

The rear axle is going to be moved back 6". Here's the biggest obstacle for me. The clearance between the frame rails, and the inside of the tire isn't enough. So any reasonable person would back half the frame and go on about their day. I'm not a reasonable person.
1000008800.jpg

Now, I have 2" wheel spacers that would solve this small problem, but it creates another one. It wouldn't fit between the rails on my trailer. So some trailer modifications would need to happen. Which is fine, but my trailer is too wide to fit between the posts on the lean-to on my shop. So some shop modifications would need to happen. This all sounds super unreasonable, and I am, after all, a pretty reasonable person.

The frame changes dimensions on a CJ as it makes that rise up over the rear axle. Going from a tall rectangle, to basically a square. The rails are PLENTY wide enough to notch out where the new axle location (and shock) will be, so that's what I'm going to do.

1000008809.jpg

The line on the left is going to be the new axle centerline location. The one on the right is the old one.

Not to mention, there's a frame cross member there, directly behind it, that will add support.

1000008810.jpg

So anyways, that's the plan. That and coming up with a way to safely and affectively tie the cage to the frame. A loop is easy. The back legs are easy. Its the b loop that's got me scratching my head. It lands directly on top of a pretty important body mount. God I hate jeeps.

Ugh. What a crappy day in the shop. I got about 30 seconds into the first cut, and my $179 Amazon plasma cutter died.

Okay, no problem, that's why Satan gave man the angle grinder. I got about 50% of the brackets cut off and THAT POS died. Luckily it was still in the 90-day window at HF. Annoying, because the last $15 angle grinder lasted me like 5 years of abuse. This one must've been a "Friday" grinder. All I know is I've got a new one, and some Chinese child needs to find another job, because assembling cheap grinders, isn't for them.

Anyways, after about $30 worth of consumables later, I've got a mostly slick Dana 60, ready for some bracketeering.
1000008812.jpg
1000008813.jpg
1000008814.jpg

Today was a bit of a shit show, but I got some stuff done in spite of it.

I broke out the TMR brackets and got them all welded together. Everything went smoothly, until it didn't. I felt like I wasn't getting enough gas at the torch, but the bottle seemed full (ish). I turned the music off in the shop, and turned the welder off, and I could hear gas hissing. Took it apart to find a ruptured gas line in the body of the welder. No clue how I was going to fix that. It's a 15 year old Chicago electric welder. The line just got brittle and cracked. At least the section directly over the transformer in the welder.

Anyways, I hauled ass to ace, and found some fuel line with a slightly smaller id than the of the gas line in the welder. Slid right over it nice and snug. Not like there's any pressure behind it.
1000008864.jpg

Closer look. I even lubed her up, and couldn't get it shoved in there any further.

1000008865.jpg

Anyways, welder works fine now.

Here's some of the bracketeering I did.

I cut up a soda can to make a nice little shim to get the spacing right. After I had it tacked up, I used a piece of all thread, and flange nuts to hold everything in place, so I could pull the heims out of there. So one nut on each side of the walls of the bracket. I didn't take a picture, but hopefully you get it. It worked REALLY well, and didn't have to worry about getting weld spatter on my hardware.

1000008866.jpg

1000008867.jpg

My favorite is fixing things on the go.:smokin:
Those are always the repairs that seem to hold up. Most of the time anyways. Somewhere out there, there is a 21' Cajun with a Johnson 150 motor with a piece of fuel line, wrapped around a split on a plastic elbow on the fuel pump, with some hose clamps around it. Still holding strong. 15 years later.

Brackets are all done. Joints fit nice and snug.

Here's a better pic of my setup when I'm welding them.

1000008868.jpg
1000008869.jpg
1000008870.jpg

Got the axle tubes welded to the rear diff today. Look like one of the tubes tried to spin, at some point.
1000008902.jpg

After I got all the plug welds done, I welded around the tubes/housing. Pre/post heated with Mapp gas torch.

After that, I got the axle exactly where I wanted it, and at ride height. I'm gonna be sitting right at 100" WB. This will put the back of the tires about 2" out past the back of the jeep. Should be plenty of wheel base for the trails it'll see.

Also got my lower link mounts tacked to the axle to give me a starting point for figuring out the numbers.

Oh, also got the truss welded on. It's a TMR simple truss. 1/2" plate. I'm going to add some gussetss or whatever.

1000008903.jpg

1000008907.jpg

I got some things done today, FINALLY.

Last night I went and bought a new welder. I've been beating the shit out of my Chicago Electric 170 (harbor freight house brand) for 12+ years. Duty cycle, schmooty cycle.

The feed system is Jerry rigged, and so is the gas line. Lol. It's inconsistent and there's only 4 voltage settings.

I got the Titanium MiG 170. The jury is still out. It does something weird where once you start a bead, it just keeps going, even if you let off the trigger. If you press the trigger again, it stops, or you pull the torch away from what you're welding, and it'll stop. You'll loose about an inch of wire though. Annoying

Idk if that's normal, but I don't like it.

Anyways, it welds as good if not better than every single Hobart I've ever used, and on par with the Millers.

So the frame will get cut off tomorrow. Today I got the old sheet metal out of the way and started on the sections that will go behind the rockers that the new cage will tie into. I used 11ga 4x2. If the frame didn't still hang 6" lower, I would've used something thicker.

Anyways, the frame tie ins for the 4x2 will be 3"/5lb C channel, and probably 3x2 at the ends.

Here's some pics. It'll make a lot more sense tomorrow when I get more done.

1000009906.jpg
1000009908.jpg
1000009909.jpg
1000009910.jpg
1000009913.jpg
1000009914.jpg

That kinda shows how the tie ins will be. ^^

Lol. Damn I love reddit. Quick Google search turned up an old post.

I figured out the autopilot on the welder. It's a setting.

1000009915.png

So today I got up and got my kids to school, and went out to the shop. Realized I was out of propane for my heater, and that I promised my wife I'd put a new mirror up in our bathroom. I had some errands to run.

After all that nonsense, I got the new mirror hung, and got to crankin away on the rocker/cage whatever-they-are's.

This went really well. I was using that 5lb c-channel, and I think it's pretty much perfect in this application.

After measuring a few things, and checking angles a few times, I came up with this...

1000009920.jpg

Went ahead and burned it in, and did three more.

1000009921.jpg

I realized I could add even more support to it.

1000009923.jpg

1000009924.jpg

So yeah, that was basically the goal for today, and it's done. I really can't overstate how many hours of time I've spent wracking my brain trying to come up with a good way to tie the cage into the frame.

I'm going to cut the rocker guards along the bottom edge, where they wrap under the floor. I really just wanna keep the rocker side armour, and rub rails. They'll go back on, and get stitch welded to these bad boys.

I MAY go ahead and chop the frame off tomorrow morning, before I gotta go in, and give the man my 8hrs.

This is going way slower than I'd like it too, but I'm taking my time and trying to do everything to the best of my ability.

Which, after reading the Wolf in Jeeps clothing thread, I realize I'm basically a 'tard with a mig welder, and a shitload of cutoff wheels. Lol.

Oh, I got some new goodies from the purple/orange fun fairy. Now I'm the above mentioned, but I've got a porta-band, that new stand from HF that turns it into a horizontal/vertical bandsaw, AND a tubing notcher.

Booyah

All I need now is a CNC plasma table/water jet, AC/DC TIG, a 3 axis mill, and a lathe, and I should be all set. Lol.

1000009930.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the third point of no return. Lol.
1000010013.jpg
1000010010.jpg
1000010011.jpg

Something like that. Lol

I'm also stretching the wheelbase another 6" for a total of 106"

The 4x2 under the rockers will tie into this as well.

1000010014.jpg

I got a lot of good stuff done, or at least STARTED. I'm moving at a pretty good tempo now, and I'm really excited about it.

Okay, so I knew I was building new frame rails. And I knew they'd have to be exactly the same. As you may have read earlier in the thread, in reference to my rear fender flares, I've never been that great at doing something exactly the same way, twice.

That said, my fabrication skills have come a long way, even from when I started this. Still not nearly in the same ball park as some of y'all on here, but this build also isn't going to take 4 years.

Okay, two frame rails, comin right up!

1000010027.jpg
1000010028.jpg

I had a smaller piece I slid into the frame rail just to get an idea of how far I wanted it to slide into the original rail, and what I wanted the angle to look like.

1000010029.jpg

Okay, so without too much explanation (because numbers and angles are boring) I needed to make a 45° mitered cut, to slide into the rail. This would put the riser part at a 55° angle.

1000010031.jpg

Nice. Let's do it again

1000010032.jpg

Now, at this point, I needed a 55° mitered cut to get the transition back to flat. That's two 27.5° angles. EZ PZ

1000010036.jpg

So at this point, I'm feeling REALLY good about how it's going. Time to slide them in and see how it looks.

1000010038.jpg

Nice.

I marked and cut the ends off, and got the cross member tacked in.

1000010039.jpg

The ratchet strap was holding it all perfectly square. (obviously)

1000010041.jpg

It's the new welder. Man, I really like it.

Also, to take up some of the space between the inside of the factory frame rails, and the outside of the new ones, I cut some 3/16 fish plates.

1000010043.jpg

I've got some really cool ideas to finish this transition.

Here's where I'm at. I MAY have some time tomorrow to do some more stuff.

Those 4x2 rocker things are going to tie into the frame rails, also.

I’ve been using the same welder. I also like it.

Had a pretty productive weekend, got the used corbeau seats installed with the corbeau sliders, rear brake line tabs are welded on, installed the new MSD spark plug wires, installed the new air filter, installed the PRP front limiting strap. Just punching out as much of my list as possible.

129242.jpg

Look at dat ass on that jeep-
129241.jpg

I love those MT tires. DFW Rusty

Today was kind of a shit show. I had to go to a home inspection for a guy, then I got a call that my youngest kiddo was sick, so I had to pick her up.

After all that, I got her settled, and went outside.

All I got done was setting my bandsaw up, and got it adjusted, and cutting straight. I'll never use my abrasive cutoff saw again. Lol.

I made some fish plates for the frame, and did the rocker tie-in. It turned out exactly like I had envisioned. Another thing that basically NEVER happens to me. Lol.

1000010125.jpg

1000010126.jpg

I got some work done today on the Dumpster. Unfortunately my day was cut short by a call from my wife to pick up our youngest from school.

Anyways, the original cage on this thing was a hybrid of the factory CJ roll bar, some 1-1/4 pipe (1.66 OD) AND some actual 1-3/4 tubing. The A-loop being the latter.

The idea was to keep the section forward of the B-loop. To do this I cut the pieces that stretch between A and B, at the B loop. I didn't get a picture of that after I'd done it.

Next thing I did was build a chincie stand off my work bench to mount the tubing bender.
1000010558.jpg

Got the B loop all bent and in place, then I notched all the pieces that span between A and B.

I drilled some 2-1/2" holes through the floor where the legs pass through, and into that 4x2" rectangular tubing behind the rockers.

Anyways, here's some pictures.

1000010559.jpg

1000010561.jpg
1000010562.jpg
1000010566.jpg
1000010567.jpg

Okay, so I probably won't get to play in the shop for the rest of the week. I feel good about what I got done today. This was my first attempt at bending tubing and building a roll cage. I feel like it's going well.

I had exactly 45 minutes between getting home from work, and having to stop and do other crap, to make the other rear leg of the cage. I'm 3:3 of making two things that are exactly the same now.

I think the biggest challenge of making a cage is taking your time, planning, measuring, and taking good notes.

For instance- the horizontal part of the leg is 31.5" (yellow line) The vertical part is 41.5" (red line) The vertical leg is 82°. The horizontal leg is 5°. So I needed a 77° bend, that started at 22.25" from the tubing end, because the bend radius adds 10" to that 22 before it becomes straight again. So 32", minus about .75" for the notch....etc etc.

At least that's how I'm doing it.

1000010571.jpg

1000010569.jpg

I had exactly 45 minutes between getting home from work, and having to stop and do other crap, to make the other rear leg of the cage. I'm 3:3 of making two things that are exactly the same now.

I think the biggest challenge of making a cage is taking your time, planning, measuring, and taking good notes.

For instance- the horizontal part of the leg is 31.5" (yellow line) The vertical part is 41.5" (red line) The vertical leg is 82°. The horizontal leg is 5°. So I needed a 77° bend, that started at 22.25" from the tubing end, because the bend radius adds 10" to that 22 before it becomes straight again. So 32", minus about .75" for the notch....etc etc.

At least that's how I'm doing it.

1000010571.jpg

1000010569.jpg

So are you cutting a piece of tube the exact length you need and then bending it?

If that's what you're doing and you're 3 for 3 in pulling it off.............stop what you're doing and go buy a Powerball ticket right now.:flipoff2:

So are you cutting a piece of tube the exact length you need and then bending it?

If that's what you're doing and you're 3 for 3 in pulling it off.............stop what you're doing and go buy a Powerball ticket right now.:flipoff2:
I'm 3:3 for making two of the same things.

First was the rear fender flares
Second was the frame rails
Third was the two rear legs of the cage, lol

The second rear leg WAS cut to the exact length and then bent it, but that's only because I had already made the first one, and it wasn't tacked in yet. The B loop and the first rear leg were bent first, cut second
Lol

I'm 3:3 for making two of the same things.

First was the rear fender flares
Second was the frame rails
Third was the two rear legs of the cage, lol

The second rear leg WAS cut to the exact length and then bent it, but that's only because I had already made the first one, and it wasn't tacked in yet. The B loop and the first rear leg were bent first, cut second
Lol

Ok, so you are human:flipoff2:

Little more progress over the last day or two. I try to sneak in a little time when I can.

I've got about 15' of tubing left, and if I'm correct (I'm probably not) that should get it all completed.

After that, I can work on finishing up the 4-link, and get the fuel system, and new brake lines run.
1000010569.jpg
1000010588.jpg
1000010591.jpg

I didn't get a dang thing done in the Joop this weekend, BUT I did clean up, reorganize, and just reintroduce some general order to the shop.

It's been a nightmare trying to get anything done in there, lately. Whenever I've had time to be out there, I'm in a mad dash trying to get something done on this thing.

When I built my shop 7 years ago, I was into Dual sport dirt bikes. Basically street legal dirt bikes. I built what I needed in terms of work benches, and storage. Over time, I've accumulated more shit, and interests change. Id build more into the work benches and storage to suit my needs at the time. At this point, I'm completely maxed out on space, and nothing really flowed. Like it was all pieces together, predicated on what materials I had at the time.

Anyways, I spent some time Sunday and today (my weekend and sun/Mon) getting things in order, and whatnot. I built onto and existing work bench and made a bunch of shelves. I moved a bunch of crap I haven't touched in years up to the loft storage, which opened up a TON of room for stuff I use all the time.

Also, a while back a buddy gave me a Husqvarna back pack leaf blower. All my stuff is Husky. Even back when I was messing around with motorcycles. It didn't run so I'd ordered a carb for it a while back, and got that going today, too. Beats the hell out of my Ryobi one+ leaf blower. Lol.

Anyways, here's a pic or two.

BEFORE --

1000010607.png

1000010606.png

After---
1000010605.jpg

1000010614.jpg
1000010613.jpg

He also gave me this old Stihl 009 chainsaw. Eww, STIHL.🤮🤮

I'm gonna restore it, I think. Just for kicks. It actually looks like it'd be a really good bucket saw, or one to put in the SXS to clear fire lanes and such. It's a reed valve 41cc, that allegedly has a really nice power curve.

1000010612.jpg

Did a little bit of stuff today before work. I got the crossbar for the B pillar, where the shoulder straps will attach, and made some gussets and got them tacked in.

I also laid out the rest of the cage. The top of where the shock will be is marked with some blue tape, on the body of the shock. Basically 10" shorter so I'll have 6 up, 10 down from ride height.

1000010618.jpg
1000010619.jpg
1000010630.jpg
1000010631.jpg
1000010629.jpg

Do you plan to put a diagonal in the B-pillar? An X is best, but even one diagonal will help keep everything from shifting sideways in a flop.

Top Back Refresh