What's new

'68 Bronco with 2.8l Cummins on Kincer Chassis

JR1

Member Number
Some of you know me as an early OG from Pirate. I kind of got away from doing off-road stuff and instead focused on street cars.
Anyway, a client asked if I could help with his project. I'm retired and would rather spend time on my stuff, but this seemed like a really cool project.
I also don't do projects on forums much anymore but rather on You Tube.
Here are some pics and a link to the video of this project.
I'm always open to questions

Attachments

• IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2132.JPG
    IMG_2132.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2285.JPG
    IMG_2285.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 17
Glad to see you pop up here. I've been watching your builds on YouTube. Amazing work as always.

Hey there JR! Watched the video, looks like a barrel of monkeys!

I've had pics of your old bronco hung up on my walls since I was a wee lad and about wore out the old VHS tape of 2002 TTC. Always thought that was the sickest rig I ever got to see in that video series.

You also had a profound effect on my dad, who always thought that a Ford 9" with unimog outers was the coolest thing anyone had ever thought up. Thanks for the positive impact you've had on us!

Looking forward to following the rest of the updates :smokin:

I’m wondering what you think of the R2.8? It doesn’t seem like it pops up much other than influencers who likely aren’t paying full price for it.

Is the installation as easy as they make it sound compared to any other engine swap? Is the completeness of the package as complete as advertised?

I guess I typed that out before watching the video, looks like you got the chassis delivered with it already installed so maybe can’t comment on those questions.

Once you get it driving it driving hearing your feedback on its driving characteristics would be nice.

Awesome work so far.

That’s great and all, but can you please go see Dave Cole and fix your old bronco? It needs a lot of love.
I heard something happened to it, someone was supposed to call me for advice but they never did. It's been around 10 years since I sold it.

I heard something happened to it, someone was supposed to call me for advice but they never did. It's been around 10 years since I sold it.
It’s at Dave’s shop. The exterior is rough and somebody put doors in it but they don’t work and all the belts are loose and it is very sad. He wanted to put me in it but I wanted to remember it like it was.

Once you wrap up the current builds, an old Bronco refurb would be a series I would watch 100%

Watched the Bronco vide and only question I had at the end was if it was truck bed linered too early, but I get it how project timelines and expectations of "it'll be fine" go.

Really enjoying the corvair build, too.

Watched the Bronco vide and only question I had at the end was if it was truck bed linered too early, but I get it how project timelines and expectations of "it'll be fine" go.

Really enjoying the corvair build, too.
Good point. The owner had it all lined up schedule wise to line-ex. I could have put the brakes on that scheduling but I wanted to move forward and not make a 2 year project out of it. With the coating done, I can move forward on final assembly. Assembling the entire car, including wiring, then disassembling it for coating is the right way but a lot more time consuming.

JR, thank you for showing what is possible with your builds.

The problem is that it has been through 4 owners since I sold it. Each one has had their chance to goober it up.

I get it. Who would want to rebuild something that they put so much time and effort into making perfect only to have the next few owners hack it up. Sort of a kick in the nuts....

I've been wiring for a couple weeks. At first, I was pulling my hair out trying to tie the Cummins, complete Painless harness, Quick 6 trans controller, Retro Tech digital dash, flaming river steering column and Vintage Air together as it's not really plug and play. But after I calmed down and just went one-wire-at-a-time, I got into a rhythm.
This thing is going to be ready to belch smoke before too long.

Attachments

• IMG_4102.JPG
    IMG_4102.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4106.JPG
    IMG_4106.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4107.JPG
    IMG_4107.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Caught it the other day. Good summary and great work.

I'm ready for the rest of the Corvair...

Top Back Refresh