What's new

55 pickup 2wd to 4wd questions

Sluggy

Drives by braille
Member Number
Loc
Bay Area
Buddy has a 55 pickup 3100 2wd and wants to convert it. Just have some basic questions with hope of saving myself some time on research. Truck is only going to be used for camping and weekend fun. This isn't going to be a hard-core crawler.

Plan is to keep the factory frame/ front springs/ push pull steering. Is there a axle out there that will bolt in? Something like a Waggy d44 or would I need to cut the long side on a gm d44? Trying to match the rear 12 bolt 6lug width wise.

I'm not opposed to crossover steering but I don't wanna deal with replacing the steering column if possible

Is the frame strong enough with some plating or am I better off swapping to a later model k10 frame

Truck currently has a sm420.
put a divorced 205?
Sm465/205 factory combo?
I also have a sm465/d300 we could use.

Rear suspension plan was to just do a shackle flip with hopes of it matching the front. Figured the front 2wd beam has a drop in it and it all might work height wise.

Any other obvious things I'm missing here?

Thanks,
Jimbo

Is your buddy actually gonna wheel the thing with any regularity? If not just tell him to drive it as is.

That's a lot of work to wind up with half ton axles and frame.

Also if you need a spare steering gear I have one that I will never use that's just taking up space.

In high-school the auto teacher had a 55 chevy truck on a 76 k10 frame. We shortened in in the bed area and made new cab mounts to the frame. We also did some cutting on the front of the frame but I can't remember what :homer:.

Edit: it was on the original frame when we started the front axle had spring perches welded to it, so it wasn't direct bolt in. The rear frame had later model spring hangers welded to it.

Do you wheel with anyone from Dang Gang?

Edit 2: it had a chevy d44 front and 12b rear.

Last edited:
So he will use the 4wd every now and then but it's mostly just a camp/weekend rig. He's keeping the old I6 for now until we put a sbc in it.

I've talked with a couple people and so far I've heard that a j10 front 44 will match the oe 12 bolt. I'm waiting on my buddy to get me the center pin distance to try and find a axle that's close to that.

We originally were contemplating 05+ ford axles and a nv4500 but that's bookooo bucks and way more work. The goal here is simple and fun.

So he will use the 4wd every now and then but it's mostly just a camp/weekend rig. He's keeping the old I6 for now until we put a sbc in it.

I've talked with a couple people and so far I've heard that a j10 front 44 will match the oe 12 bolt. I'm waiting on my buddy to get me the center pin distance to try and find a axle that's close to that.

We originally were contemplating 05+ ford axles and a nv4500 but that's bookooo bucks and way more work. The goal here is simple and fun.
I would think that instead of fabbing trans/tcase stuff twice that you find a running 350/465/205 in a square body and do that all at once. I get the allure of the I6 though.

I get it to do it all at once but the nice thing is that we don't have to remove the bell housing and just slam whatever we decide on back into the 4 bolt pattern. I'm currently considering the sm465 with a stock dana300. Keeps it tight for the narrower frame and a d300 not being abused will last forever.

Those old frames are almost flat front-to-back. The '60-newer have a considerable dip in the frame under the cab. That can make the frame swap weird.

Sm465 doesnt fit the sm420 bell. Pilot diameter changes.

A remote 205, Rockwell, or spicer 23 could work.

Measure the spring spacing on the front. That will decide if you can just shorten the long side alone.

3100 6lug truck
708663690.jpg

Screenshot_20230628_113813_Chrome.jpg

Basically was planning on using something like this and keeping it manual box for now.

The housing that I had is gone. I am pretty sure that I have one of those raised arms though, I'll check.

You could use stock frame and swap everything from a square body over but if he is just looking for something to drive around and use 4x4 occasionally for a play trip you really need to have him think about how much pavement its going to see vs how much trail\dirt\mud etc.This company also does a conversion for using a squarebody frame if you want to go that route vs the tahoe which would get you 25yr newer drivetrain.

E-Z Chassis Swaps

Shouldn't that have an old dropout 3rd rear axle, not a 12b?

I'd be more concerned about matching body width than an axle from a 55. Rear axles are easy to come by.

My step dad had a neapco swapped 59 chevy, was a really cool truck.

I haven't looked under the truck to confirm what axle it is. Still gotta measure my buddies to see what we're working with. I've gotten some mixed opinions so far and just trying to get a game plan before I start on the truck. I agree on matching the axles to fit under the truck. I don't want the won ton toyota look.

I haven't looked under the truck to confirm what axle it is. Still gotta measure my buddies to see what we're working with. I've gotten some mixed opinions so far and just trying to get a game plan before I start on the truck. I agree on matching the axles to fit under the truck. I don't want the won ton toyota look.

Should look kinda like a toyota axle with a removable cover. I'm not sure if it's a baby brother to the Eaton or? Pretty sure 12b didn't start till the 60s

I agree, but you also don't want the toyota axles under a 1 ton look :laughing:

Should look kinda like a toyota axle with a removable cover. I'm not sure if it's a baby brother to the Eaton or? Pretty sure 12b didn't start till the 60s
It’s a dropout 10b basically. I have one in my garage. Nothing special or beefy about it.

It’s a dropout 10b basically. I have one in my garage. Nothing special or beefy about it.

I figured they were not great since no one has ever mentioned them.

The only thing I like about them is they look period correct. But so does an 8 lug Eaton, and it's actually strong.

It's also looking like we're keeping the sm420 due to the bell housing frame mounts but haven't decided on a tcase yet.

There are iron sm465 bells with side mounts... 68-72. Earlier bells with the right pilot may exist in heavier trucks; say where a direct-5spd was used.

Divorced may be easier since that truck never had a married tcase option and divorced gives you lots of flexibility fromtnto back and even a little side to side.
And since this isn't actually gonna get wheeled he can use anything with zero regard for strength.

Rockwells, NP202s, Dana 23s are all "reasonably" priced in most cases.

Top Back Refresh