What's new

1991 Snow Tracker Build

These splines are engaging but not seating. This is what I’m looking at.

IMG_1486.jpeg
IMG_1487.jpeg

The splines are actually different or just the shank part right after?

Sounds like a pain, but should be easy enough to make work with a lathe. I'd Definitely machine the carrier if possible so any shaft will work.

The splines are actually different or just the shank part right after?

Sounds like a pain, but should be easy enough to make work with a lathe. I'd Definitely machine the carrier if possible so any shaft will work.

Splines are the same. The shank after is slightly too big.

I need to get this back together before 9/23 as we have a wheeling trip planned. I also do not know what machine shop could handle this. Never needed one before.

I’ll call around Monday and see who could turn this around quickly.

Splines are the same. The shank after is slightly too big.

I need to get this back together before 9/23 as we have a wheeling trip planned. I also do not know what machine shop could handle this. Never needed one before.

I’ll call around Monday and see who could turn this around quickly.

Hopefully anyone with a lathe could do it, doesn't even have to be perfect, just big enough

Mark the carrier adjusters and pull it, you won't have to mess with the pinion.

If you try to grind it out with out pulling it apart, you'll be setting up gears again either way :laughing:

I suppose if I can’t find a shop to do this, I can just swap in the 22 spline spider gear on that side, and run my original CV. Because my search results for local machine shops is coming up with one, and I’m not even sure he’s in business anymore.

I suppose if I can’t find a shop to do this, I can just swap in the 22 spline spider gear on that side, and run my original CV. Because my search results for local machine shops is coming up with one, and I’m not even sure he’s in business anymore.

Wonder if it would fit in a HF bench top lathe :laughing:

Wuz-A-Zuk covinced me a lathe was unnecessary. :laughing: Usually I am not good at doing this stuff, but the Dremel cam through nicely. It’s all back together, but now I have a weird issue going on when trying to set the gears up. I made a thread in Newb 4x4 hoping for more traffic, so we’ll see if there’s an answer…but I’m kind of wondering if the welding didn’t kill the pinion bearing like som suggested it would.

I’m pretty certain I’m going to just run it. :stirthepot:

Clearanced carrier:

IMG_1502.jpeg
IMG_1503.jpeg

Pattern:

IMG_1510.jpeg
IMG_1511.jpeg

Here’s the weird clicking:

Clicking is definitely from welding the carrier. This morning before work I tested it while looking at the pinion. It’s wobbling.

Question now is will a new bearing fix it, or is it toast completely? Ugh.

Byro figured it out, man.

Warped the housing and the bearing race is sitting in there wonky. I forgot you welded that bracket to the housing. That’s why your BL gets funky too.

Warped the housing and the bearing race is sitting in there wonky. I forgot you welded that bracket to the housing. That’s why your BL gets funky too.

Well this sucks. I don’t think there’s anyway to fix this.

Suppose I could try to swap the carrier and the pinion into the Tracker 3rd member. But I’m not sure how long the aluminum 3rd member will last locked up.

Take the pinion out and the outer pinion race. Clean up where it presses into the housing with a flap wheel on a drill. My guess is there is a high spot and it’s making the bearing race sit weird.

I swapped out the Samurai bearings/races with Geo Trackers. Everything works well now. Back on track. Currently all I need to do is install the driveshaft and the CV and it’s done.

New pattern and no clicking. :flipoff2:

IMG_1515.jpeg
IMG_1516.jpeg

Never showed a pic of this done.

IMG_1517.jpeg
IMG_1518.jpeg

I tested this out tonight. It just crawls over stuff I had to winch over before. Love it! It was even wet and soppy and it still did amazing.

Pinion seal is leaking, but fawk it. It’ll keep the fluid fresh. I think I needed a Track/Kick pinion seal instead of a Samurai. I’m guessing the Samurai might be smaller at the pinion, since the flange fits a Track/Kick t-case spline.

Spartan is loud and clicky/poppy, but whatever. Turning got a lot harder, too. :laughing:

Overall 10/10 would recommend. :smokin:

Pinion seal leak got worse, so I fixed it today.

This is all the metal from the first short test run. Hopefully this holds together.

IMG_1524.jpeg

That's a lot of metal, is that from a fresh assembly and new oil? And yes the Spartans in mine are noisy, they pop, click and every once in awhile I get a loud bang under the right conditions but they are awesome off road.

That's a lot of metal, is that from a fresh assembly and new oil? And yes the Spartans in mine are noisy, they pop, click and every once in awhile I get a loud bang under the right conditions but they are awesome off road.

Used gears, fresh set up on them, new Spartan, and new fluid.

It seemed like a lot to me. But I’ve also never ran any gears I’ve set up. I mean, other than the ones I cobbled together that have a lot more metal than that in them. :flipoff2::laughing:

There shouldn't be any shavings like that there's something going on, what's the backlash?

There shouldn't be any shavings like that there's something going on, what's the backlash?

It was 13 on the dial.

Some of those shavings might be from forcing the steel Samurai 3rd into the aluminum housing. It was so tight it was digging into the aluminum.

I’ll just watch the fluid moving forward.

Last edited:
I was itching to get this out and test it one more time before the trip next weekend.

The front locker is much quieter now. Far less clicking and popping. Still some, but way less. Plan is to run it next weekend and do another fluid flush.

Anyways, got some video from the test run. I finally made it up the biggest rock obstacle I have, then it bottomed out on the frame rails. 33’s or 34’s might literally be the ticket. :smokin:

The filming sucks, but I was alone. Gave it my best. :flipoff2:

IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg

I’m pretty satisfied with it currently. It’s come a long way from page one. :laughing:

There's always going to be limitations with the smaller tires, but the first time you make an obstacle a much more built rig gets denied on, it makes it worth it. Just have to usually pick different lines than bigger rigs.

Top Back Refresh