What's new

1970 C10 project

see above. No intent on ditching the drums or 6 lug wheels. I want it back like it was when built.
Are you in an area where you can still get shoes re lined and ground to actually match the drums? Thats whats killed running old style stuff for me. Frickin parts are junk and the old timers and their antique machines are dissappearing.

Are you in an area where you can still get shoes re lined and ground to actually match the drums? Thats whats killed running old style stuff for me. Frickin parts are junk and the old timers and their antique machines are dissappearing.
Yes there are still a couple old school type NAPA stores and stuff around that can do machine work, etc.. And you're right about parts being junk. On my 92 chevy 3500 that's got 426,000 miles on it now, and on it's second set of new door hinge pins that I've installed, they didn't last a month and the bushings shattered and fell out. I've done some searching and gonna go back with either original GM replacements, or spring for the greasable machined replacement pins they make now that should hopefully last the rest of my life.

Yes there are still a couple old school type NAPA stores and stuff around that can do machine work, etc.. And you're right about parts being junk. On my 92 chevy 3500 that's got 426,000 miles on it now, and on it's second set of new door hinge pins that I've installed, they didn't last a month and the bushings shattered and fell out. I've done some searching and gonna go back with either original GM replacements, or spring for the greasable machined replacement pins they make now that should hopefully last the rest of my life.
Graft on some hinges from a Ford. :flipoff2:

Ford hinges wont support the weight of a door that doesn't vibrate and crack itself apart. What was this thread about?

I made bushing out of copper tubing that go around the bronze ones for our work truck. That seems to work.

Ok this question might start a two page argument over which is better, but should I just rebuild the quadrajet 4 barrel that's on it? Buy a rebuilt quadrajet, maybe with electric choke, or upgrade to an Edelbrock or Holley? My only intent with this truck is to drive it around, to work and back, etc..

I'd rebuild the Quadrajet to keep things simple and cheap, if it ends up sucking all you are out is the rebuild kit and some time.

This thread got my attention because I have an unfinished 70 C10 project in my garage. Back in the day I was buying parts from Brothers Trucks and Early Classic Enterprises. Today I looked and Holley bought them both:lmao:

I'd rebuild the Quadrajet to keep things simple and cheap, if it ends up sucking all you are out is the rebuild kit and some time.

This thread got my attention because I have an unfinished 70 C10 project in my garage. Back in the day I was buying parts from Brothers Trucks and Early Classic Enterprises. Today I looked and Holley bought them both:lmao:
Yeah this project has sat almost untouched for quite a while now. If I'd known when I bought it for 60 bucks that I'd be unemployed within 3 weeks, and change jobs 4 times since Christmas, etc., I probably wouldn't have bought it at all. Working for the city now so besides catching up on bills and throwing money at the 92 chevy daily driver to keep it running, I'm starting to kinda get back on this project with plans and all. Before I do anything with the carb I"m gonna try to get the brakes all good and working, so that I can at least move it around the pasture and test the transmission. Daydreaming at this point.

Just rebuild your garbage. Buy a kit and slam it together in an evening without any "to do it right I really should order X" stoppages. Sure it might not be perfect but it'll be a huge improvement.

x3 on rebuilding the quad. It's quick and easy, and the cheapest way. Plus, they are good units for what you need it for.

Pulled the front brakes apart today and checked all the ball joints, etc.. all that stuff is good but the brakes are shot. drums are fine, shoes are fine, but wheel cylinders and lines are toast. Also pulled the carb off today and it's an old school rochester, but the circle tag is missing, and it had a rebuilt in 01 sticker on it. Not sure how I'm gonna identify it enough to get the right parts for it without the tag, I guess tear into it and just match up parts on the carb rebuild page I found for quadrajets.

Pics just because
20230507_115854.jpg
20230507_120004.jpg

never seen a circle tag on one of those. it will have a number stamped in the main body on the throttle or choke side, like 7040205 or something like that. it looks like a 70's 4MV carb so probably a kit for a 70 truck will cover it.

Take it apart in a clean space. Don't lose any of the small bits when you turn it upside down. Replace the small fuel filter on the inlet and enjoy very quick starts that oe carburetors provide.

never seen a circle tag on one of those. it will have a number stamped in the main body on the throttle or choke side, like 7040205 or something like that. it looks like a 70's 4MV carb so probably a kit for a 70 truck will cover it.
I'm sure now that it's a 4MV, from the link you provided, but it's pre 68 originally because it has the place for the round tag that's missing, but no tag in it. Also learned that from the link you provided.

Ordered all new brake parts for the front today from Rockauto. About 60 bucks for all new soft lines for the front, wheel cylinders, hardware kits, etc. All Ac Delco as well just cus.
Also got ahold of the apparently Cliff himself from Cliff's High performance and described my situation with a carb that is pre 68 but on my 70 pickup, and he gave me his cell number so I can tear the carb down tomorrow and text pics, because the old style with round tags had a couple configurations apparently, and he'll put together a complete rebuild kit for me jetted for my engine size, altitude, etc.. so hopefully after this rebuild it'll run like a raped ape once I get some brakes for it and fix the transmission leak lol.

Update. Got the carb apart further so Cliff himself from Cliff's High Performance, literally the guy who wrote the book on how to rebuild and modify Quadrajets, could Identify it to put together a parts kit. Just my luck, when he identified it, he said he's worked on quadrajets over 30 years, and he'd throw that in the trash and start with a better core. He said this particular carb is the one that gives all quadrajets such a bad name like "quadrajunk" and quadrabog, etc. So i'm watching Ebay for certain coded quadrajets now for a core worth rebuilding.

Update. Got the carb apart further so Cliff himself from Cliff's High Performance, literally the guy who wrote the book on how to rebuild and modify Quadrajets, could Identify it to put together a parts kit. Just my luck, when he identified it, he said he's worked on quadrajets over 30 years, and he'd throw that in the trash and start with a better core. He said this particular carb is the one that gives all quadrajets such a bad name like "quadrajunk" and quadrabog, etc. So i'm watching Ebay for certain coded quadrajets now for a core worth rebuilding.
Send or text me the codes that you are looking for.

Send or text me the codes that you are looking for.
right now I've got a winning bid on Ebay for a core from a 69 truck with 350 and TH350. if that falls through, I'll send you part numbers to look for. In the last 36 hours I've about gotten to the point I can read Rochester part numbers like that dude in the Matrix looking at code :laughing:

I'm still the winning bidder on the one I'm trying to buy. Also, yesterday, Cliff's book that's basically the quadrajet bible, arrived from summit racing so if anybody has quadrajunk questions from here on out I can load pics or give help.

Top Back Refresh