What's new

1962 Mercury ADHD build

Snowracer

Member Number
So i have truck ADHD and once again started a build and had a change of plans before even really starting the build. Picked up a first gen ranger one night when FB shopping after a few drinks. GF claimed the truck as hers so we started to build it as a wheeling rig for her. Can read the short build here Another Ranger build we picked up some 1 tons and went through them getting them ready, same with a 302 and c6 as well. i wasnt in love with the ranger but it was cheap and the gf liked it. wasnt looking forward to making full width leaf sprung diffs fit the narrow frame or dealing with exhaust, tcase and rad fitment. yes lots of people have done it and i could have but the ranger was pretty stripped so was pretty much a shell of a body and stock frame. was having issues finding a fixed yoke tcase to replace the one i planned on using but was to rusty so was junk. buddy found me a tcase but came with a complete truck so after thinking about it im going to use more of that donor truck then just the tcase now and we ditched the ranger

New build specs will be

1989 F250 frame
302 and 4speed stick
d60 welded with 4.10s and 4340 outers
10.25 welded with 4.10s
Leaf sprung with shackle reversal front
39 BFG tires on beadlocks

Few years ago i picked up two 60s ford trucks and never did anything with them so left one at a friends farm and put the other one in the back corner of my yard. the cab i plan on using is a 1962 Mercury M200 ( Canadian version of a Ford) when i got the truck it had a 61 ford grill on it. The second truck is pretty bad so better as a parts donor and is a 65 f100.

Plan is mild wheeling rig for the GF, no racing or rock crawling. just a nice sunday rig that we can toss a cooler and some other crap in the box and go out and have some fun.

Last edited:
62 and 65 when i got them few years ago

uGyBtgJpBzAXD6ELMPpNp7huDdIttncXH1wbKqbXIspQ=w2400.jpg

119-hMBYX59dbVZHIvIZsLDMqSSYQV48nS9I-kGRt_cw=w2400.jpg

and the 89 donor

Vs_Z7S4wjmzJjozoFulo6g0tE6qZU0cJlj1e1ZM_LwuQ=w2400.jpg

I was wondering what was going on when I saw the Ranger for sale :idea:

This should be a pretty cool build, can't wait to see it come together. Maybe we can get out and do some wheeling.

Happy something's getting done with the slicksides. This should be wicked :smokin:

me too as been holding on to them in hopes of doing either a street truck or wheeler with them. i also picked up a "wrong" short box that will go with this so will have a nice short box so will look better then a flat deck

I was wondering what was going on when I saw the Ranger for sale :idea:

This should be a pretty cool build, can't wait to see it come together. Maybe we can get out and do some wheeling.

hoping to have this done in time for early winter snow wheeling

Any plans to ditch the welded diff for at least an auto locker? Welded front sucks for the type of use you described, I'd honestly throw a lunchbox in it.

For a min, I was thinking you were building a trar while reading the op :laughing::flipoff2:

Those are probably my favorite ford truck before the 93-97s. I learned to drive a stick in a 4x4 converted ~64. :usa:

Any plans to ditch the welded diff for at least an auto locker? Welded front sucks for the type of use you described, I'd honestly throw a lunchbox in it.

For a min, I was thinking you were building a trar while reading the op :laughing::flipoff2:

Those are probably my favorite ford truck before the 93-97s. I learned to drive a stick in a 4x4 converted ~64. :usa:

budget says we rock the welded for now. the diff needs a full rebuild so when we do gears then i will probably buy a locker for the front

im tempted to take the 271 tcase out of my buggy for this build and that would force me into a reduction box for that build. im sure that is something you could get behind :flipoff2:

budget says we rock the welded for now. the diff needs a full rebuild so when we do gears then i will probably buy a locker for the front

im tempted to take the 271 tcase out of my buggy for this build and that would force me into a reduction box for that build. im sure that is something you could get behind :flipoff2:

Ya, i get it. I did the welded front thing for years.

2 cases or no cases :flipoff2:

Ya, i get it. I did the welded front thing for years.

2 cases or no cases :flipoff2:

been looking at the Behemoth box as it uses the 271 parts vs the eco box so i already have the donor case and will be 31 spline ect to match the ford trans. even the shorty box they sell uses the 271 parts and they claim i can run the box in low and 205 in high. seem to be better reviews with the new owners as well so not waiting forever to not get your parts so makes it pretty tempting to order

been looking at the Behemoth box as it uses the 271 parts vs the eco box so i already have the donor case and will be 31 spline ect to match the ford trans. even the shorty box they sell uses the 271 parts and they claim i can run the box in low and 205 in high. seem to be better reviews with the new owners as well so not waiting forever to not get your parts so makes it pretty tempting to order

I hope the new owners work out. Behemoth had/has a lot of cool product ideas.

271 crawl box would be sweet.

washed few years of grim off the chassis and trans/tcase last night

G2hd51N80x9JmyxWq780P14k6Y9iW8PdhsuyO46E6ErQ=w2400.jpg

started blasting layers of paint off the box, got 2 layers off and have what looks like 3 more to go but pressure washer ran out of gas last night

c9gK5bZbvPNQ5vk7F8_xRMfWdLEPWQB14hGYG6zd7zcQ=w2400.jpg

stripped the rear section of the frame and wire wheeled it cleanish

qe_v5ORWAD7q1soJzZhX254mTx_dY8fo_zGHUsSd0JQg=w2400.jpg

using my SD Deaver springs for this build. got the rears mocked up

nVCpq0Z16qSmh2czErYAZ1lrSW8U8Va24gkdc5hfnjMw=w2400.jpg

not sure if shackle angle is good as no real weight on it yet. looking at my superduty the shackle is straight up at ride height so might be fine

ik1QReqRfH2TtvoL3twAXVvCBqJzRFm2_mYHiJ0Abopw=w2400.jpg

Why are you staying with a compression shackle for a wheeler?

ive ran this set up on my last rig with great results so hopping for it to work well again. i did run a longer shackle last time so might not be as great this time around. i find it helps with axle wrap and also keep the rig lower as they are a 4-5" lift spring with a fair bit of arch to them. yes it might loose some flex but works well for vertical travel for more go fast stuff, so it a trade off

last rig with the same set up other then longer shackles

MK3rFeEAC2w38OXSNVgqaiAOZ3bUtADk-JPc1yB5i-DQ=w2400.jpg

Last edited:
I think you're really cutting yourself short with those short shackles.

Personally I'd rather run spring under with compression shackles instead. But at least get some longer ones to utilize the potential of the leafs.

Also, you can do some math to figure out your ideal shackle hanger length.

Measure along the main leaf, subtract shackle length and add ~1/2". This gives you the ideal spring mount to shackle hanger length. The 1/2" is for bushing deflection and can vary a bit.

I've also heard a general rule of thumb to get the right shackle length is to subtract the spring eye to length in a straight line with no wieght, from the measurement along the leaf.

Top Back Refresh