Travel trailer tips and tricks

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Travel trailer tips and tricks

    Since we have a small boy, we decided to get a camper trailer instead of living the tent life. Bought ourselves a 19' 2011 model. Tandem axles, no slide. What kind of tips and tricks have you guys got for travel trailers?
    Best caulking to use to re-caulk windows and doors?
    2x6v batteries instead of one 12v? Why or why not?
    It's a 4000lb unit, towed behind a levelled 2001 f350 7.3 6 spd on 315/75r16.
    I don't have a trailer brake controller, any recommendations?

    #2
    Here's a tip

    Rent

    Comment


      #3
      Tekonsha brake controller. I have been happy with them on two trucks.

      Comment


        #4
        stackable leveling blocks
        scissor jack levelers
        X chock tire brakes
        Fantastic fans
        Level master for the win
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200629_161503.jpg Views:	0 Size:	303.7 KB ID:	55573
        ​​​​​this is on the front of the rig, look in rear view and level rig.g
        Etrailer.com has some decent forums and links
        Last edited by Clb; 06-29-2020, 06:20 PM.
        83, 22re,w56,ultimate duals,4:10 \31" arbs.
        hopes to grow up someday

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Wulf View Post
          Tekonsha brake controller. I have been happy with them on two trucks.
          Yes, but more specifically the prodigy p2. Or p3 if you like to have features that you will never use.
          Every day is better than the next.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Benny View Post

            Yes, but more specifically the prodigy p2. Or p3 if you like to have features that you will never use.
            There's a P2 on the local classifieds for $85/cad. Comes with a harness. Do these things get plugged in? From the pictures thats what it looks like. I thought you had to cut wires and shit to install em.

            Comment


              #7
              I like 12v batteries over 6v for the ease that in a pinch, I can find a 12v battery anywhere. Also, putting a master disconnect switch is good idea. When you store the trailer, Flip the switch and you don’t have to worry (much) about draining the battery.

              prodigy like other have said.

              keep electrical tools with you (stripper, crispers, connectors, tape and meter at a minimum)

              a good cordless drill with a socket adaptor will bring down the outriggers quickly. And you may need the drill to screw things back together

              sewer hoses and adaptors, electrical adaptors, water hoses, pressure regulator, leveling stuff, but wait, there’s more ......

              Comment


                #8
                Some of the newer trucks are pre wired front and rear...
                ymmv
                83, 22re,w56,ultimate duals,4:10 \31" arbs.
                hopes to grow up someday

                Comment


                  #9
                  Prodigy controller for sure. Buy led light boards on eBay and change all the lights to them. If you pull one light you can see what base they have. Buy them with the bases included. Dirt cheap and you can run the lights forever without running the batteries dead. Buy a battery tender and leave the thing plugged in when you aren’t using the trailer. Get a 12 volt disconnect and disconnect the battery when not using it. There are things that pull on the battery when it sits. I’ll have to think about all the other stuff I’ve done to our trailers.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Squamch View Post

                    There's a P2 on the local classifieds for $85/cad. Comes with a harness. Do these things get plugged in? From the pictures thats what it looks like. I thought you had to cut wires and shit to install em.
                    With the prodigy controllers, the harness plugs into the back. So you can buy a double ended harness that matches your truck. Or you can still do it the old way and get a single ended harness for your truck and one for your prodigy (should come with it) and use butt connectors and do it yourself.
                    Every day is better than the next.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Add 200+ watts of solar when $$$ are a plenty
                      83, 22re,w56,ultimate duals,4:10 \31" arbs.
                      hopes to grow up someday

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Newer? My 97 is pre-wired for a brake controller ​​​​​​

                        I'm not a huge fan of the prodigy one in my 97, it has 4 different levels and then more adjustments on top of that, yet it seems like it either too weak or too aggressive 90% of the time.

                        Had a tekonasha or whatever in my company truck, seemed to work fine except the stupid display was bright as fuck. Bad enough I'd throw my hat over it every morning.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Newest thing I drive is an obs ferd of 93 vintage.
                          Don't know when the pre wire was oem...

                          op asked about prewire...
                          83, 22re,w56,ultimate duals,4:10 \31" arbs.
                          hopes to grow up someday

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Rttoys View Post
                            I like 12v batteries over 6v for the ease that in a pinch, I can find a 12v battery anywhere. Also, putting a master disconnect switch is good idea. When you store the trailer, Flip the switch and you don’t have to worry (much) about draining the battery.

                            prodigy like other have said.

                            keep electrical tools with you (stripper, crispers, connectors, tape and meter at a minimum)

                            a good cordless drill with a socket adaptor will bring down the outriggers quickly. And you may need the drill to screw things back together

                            sewer hoses and adaptors, electrical adaptors, water hoses, pressure regulator, leveling stuff, but wait, there’s more ......
                            I drive old shit, I don't leave home without tools!
                            If it's a pinch, don't you just turf the 6v batteries and put a 12v in? My reading suggested that there is nothing more to putting a pair of 6s in than wiring a pair in series. Is there more than that?
                            I'll be putting together a fix it kit for the trailer with some electrical shit, screws, caulking, etc in an ammo can.
                            Reason for asking about batteries is I plan to use it for hunting season too, so being significantly off grid will happen.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              P3 has one feature that has saved me in the past, where my former controller smoked. A short in the connector of a borrowed trailer smoked my Curt, where I couldn't make any adjustments, just full or nothing. The P3 has a diagnostic feature that will tell you if there is a wiring short and disable the brakes to protect itself and the trailer's wiring.

                              This is a double-edged sword, however, as my car hauler is now down because of a wiring short. Its very intermittent, but I can't set everything up and tow not knowin when I will be stopping and the controller suddenly detects the short and drops out. I have the supplies and am rewiring the trailer when time permits.
                              Mrs CSR said I was good, or something.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X