How much would you pay to rent a trailer?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How much would you pay to rent a trailer?

    This might be better in gcc since it's not tech, but for now I'll try here.

    How much would you pay to rent a trailer?

    Standard 16' 7k?

    7x14 dump?

    2 car/3 sxs wedge?

    24'/21k deck over?

    30' gooseneck?

    Something you wish you could rent?

    I have a problem with wanting every trailer, I have 2, plus a homosexual flatbill wearing friend is trying to sell me 2 more for a steal. I was half ass thinking about trying to rent them out. I realize people are going to treat them, but if I can make enough to keep them up, it should be worth it.

    I see people advertising car trailers for $75/day but 2 day minimum. I feel like I'd rather not deal with that for the most part, I'd rather do something a little more "speciality" and less volume.


    #2
    I’ve rented an enclosed trailer from the trailer dealer once to move. Have thought about it other times. But I never thought it would be much of a business.

    Comment


      #3
      A place in chico that was once called hertz RAC rented me a tilt bed trailer I needed to take some 20 ft lengths of C900 from out on hwy 32 to my place.

      Charged me $100.00 for the weekend.

      Comment


        #4
        I'd love to rent a car trailer for the 7-10 times per year I need it, instead of it taking up space in my driveway all year round.

        There used to be a local rental place that would rent their car trailer but people trashed it and he got tired of fixing it.

        $75/day seems a little low for a car trailer IMO

        Comment


          #5
          Probably depends where you live. Around here (suburbs) there's a few places that might be tough competition price wise since they are bigger. I also would assume a large number of renters would treat a trailer like a rental and destroy it quickly.

          Comment


            #6
            I've thought about it, there's 2 schools of thought, buy junk and rent it out cheap enough that it stays busy, and you'll stay busy fixing it, could be a solid business model.

            Another school of thought is buy a brand new trailer with no scratches on it, and charge a premium price. Get the credit card deposit, and ding a renter for any damage at all. This will scare off a segment of renters, and you'll rent it less. Maybe only make 3-4k a year, then buy a new one, and sell the old one.

            I personally would like to get into the rental business, just buy every toy and tool I want and rent them all out.

            Sure, at some point somebody will crash my 2020 quad and I'll have to deal with it, mostly by filling their insurance claim, but every time I want to take out my 2002 and 2005 quads, I have to fire them up and fill the tires anyways.

            I've rented quads on vacation, the owners are always smiling. One guy also rented boats. Everything was due back in at 5pm sharp. Sun set at 9pm. They took something out every night.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by PAE View Post
              A place in chico that was once called hertz RAC rented me a tilt bed trailer I needed to take some 20 ft lengths of C900 from out on hwy 32 to my place.

              Charged me $100.00 for the weekend.
              Seems like those equipment trailers are easy to come by. Those places mostly have them to make it easier to rent their equipment.

              I haven't seen any normal 16' 7k car trailers around here though.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Alex123456 View Post
                I'd love to rent a car trailer for the 7-10 times per year I need it, instead of it taking up space in my driveway all year round.

                There used to be a local rental place that would rent their car trailer but people trashed it and he got tired of fixing it.

                $75/day seems a little low for a car trailer IMO
                Can't figure out mutiquote.....

                I get it, they've gotten pretty expensive also. My father in law paid $5200 for a 20' 10k buggy hauler. I think a standard car hauler is at least $3500

                I found more than one place on Craigslist (I have the app and it might have been so cal) that said $75/day. Seems to cheap to be worth it to me. I'm not really interested in this market though, but maybe a buggy hauler type trailer for a little more would weed out some of the typical idiots.

                To WHATAHEEP, I realize people will treat them like shit, that's why I was thinking about avoiding the typical cheap car trailers.

                ​​​​​

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Projectjunkie View Post
                  I've thought about it, there's 2 schools of thought, buy junk and rent it out cheap enough that it stays busy, and you'll stay busy fixing it, could be a solid business model.

                  Another school of thought is buy a brand new trailer with no scratches on it, and charge a premium price. Get the credit card deposit, and ding a renter for any damage at all. This will scare off a segment of renters, and you'll rent it less. Maybe only make 3-4k a year, then buy a new one, and sell the old one.

                  I personally would like to get into the rental business, just buy every toy and tool I want and rent them all out.

                  Sure, at some point somebody will crash my 2020 quad and I'll have to deal with it, mostly by filling their insurance claim, but every time I want to take out my 2002 and 2005 quads, I have to fire them up and fill the tires anyways.

                  I've rented quads on vacation, the owners are always smiling. One guy also rented boats. Everything was due back in at 5pm sharp. Sun set at 9pm. They took something out every night.
                  I'd say the trailers I listed, except my brand new dump trailer, would fall under the "buy junk and expect it to get beat up" except I don't really want to be too cheap, I was more thinking of it just being an excuse to own cool trailers

                  The 32' wedge is the one that got me thinking, I figured it would be perfect for a group of guys going to the dunes or whatever. Load 3 sxs's on it instead of taking 3 trucks and trailers. I even thought about making a spot for a quad or bikes underneath.

                  For the dump I'd kinda rather do the "I'll park it, you load it, I'll dump it. But I always worry that some dick head will put a bunch of paint whatever on the bottom, and honestly most people don't even know that's not allowed in the dump.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    So the wedge could work out, I'd build some storage into the bottom, and then church it up with fresh paint and all, you want the guy to feel good about it, put it in his pictures and shit

                    A while back in Idaho I rode along and camped with a 4wd club, a couple of the guys rented a gooseneck to pull 2 jeeps for like $700 for the week, I thought that was steep, like 5 years ago too.

                    In my opinion, it is a great use of capitol. Most people will cry about people damaging their shit, but right now I've got the sun rotting the tires on 5 different trailers. If I'm renting them, those tires are getting replaced almost yearly, from the profit.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I rented a brand new 40ft gooseneck from someone for something like $140/day to take to moab. I think he gave me a discount for a week rental too. Felt like it was a fair price compared to renting multiple carhaulers and having to fuel multiple tow rigs

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Action Fap would have his father in law rent it.
                        Last edited by Aisin; 05-20-2020, 10:44 PM.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Projectjunkie View Post
                          So the wedge could work out, I'd build some storage into the bottom, and then church it up with fresh paint and all, you want the guy to feel good about it, put it in his pictures and shit

                          A while back in Idaho I rode along and camped with a 4wd club, a couple of the guys rented a gooseneck to pull 2 jeeps for like $700 for the week, I thought that was steep, like 5 years ago too.

                          In my opinion, it is a great use of capitol. Most people will cry about people damaging their shit, but right now I've got the sun rotting the tires on 5 different trailers. If I'm renting them, those tires are getting replaced almost yearly, from the profit.
                          This is kinda what I figured, I can't justify owning it otherwise. $700 for the week isn't bad, I was hoping for more. First thought was $500/weekend, but now that we're talking about it, that's really high.

                          I rented a brand new 40ft gooseneck from someone for something like $140/day to take to moab. I think he gave me a discount for a week rental too. Felt like it was a fair price compared to renting multiple carhaulers and having to fuel multiple tow rigs
                          That's nothing for a trailer like that imo. Worth it by far.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Just wondering, what if your renter wrecked /trashed/fucked the trailer up. Would you have to be sure they had 7500 available on their card? Hope your contract was enough? Send some fucker to shit in their sunroof?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I do have a few thoughts on rental trailers:

                              Everywhere near me to rent a trailer is a trailer dealer or equipment rental yard. Dealers buy trailers wholesale, repair cheap in house, and sell in-house after the rental life. Equipment yards only want to make renting their equipment easier by offering trailers.

                              Car haulers with a winch (or at least a bed mounted receiver). I've been tempted to sell my open car trailer and rent when I need it, but none of the rental trailers have winches or a place to attach a winch (via 2” receiver). I use my winch quite a bit for non-running projects and I'm not going back to a manual come along.

                              The deckover is a good idea, I rent a piece of shit trailer from a rental place I hate, but it’s the only deckover to rent in town. So they get the business 2-4x/year to move a 10k lb snowblower during load restrictions. Pay $100/day to only use it for an hour. Would also be nice for moving machine tools, palletized material, etc.

                              Enclosed trailer for local moves: offer an additional service to drop off trailer at old place, then move packed trailer to new place for the customer. Pick up trailer after they unpack. I have a buddy that does this, he likes that he gets paid for a week or two of rental, but the trailer is only moved by him and mostly sits in a driveway during the rental.

                              Cross your Ts and dot your Is with insurance. This may make it unrealistic to turn a profit.

                              Edit: I would pay $75/day for a car trailer ($100/day with winch), $150/day for deckover (if it was a decent trailer), $125/day for an enclosed car trailer
                              Last edited by Lowrollin70gmc; 05-20-2020, 09:23 PM.
                              68 K20 Burb: 12Valve/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM
                              53 Willys Wagon: 350/NV4500/BW4401/D44/9”

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X