Commercial Truck required stickers/permits?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Commercial Truck required stickers/permits?

    I am figuring someone on here has experience with this. My research suggests we don't need any permit or truck labels, but looking for a verification. Corporate is risk adverse.

    We have begun travelling between states to perform testing work at construction sites. All equipment being transported is our own, and we will not be doing commercial transport for others. F350 (diesel, extended cab, flatbed) with company logo. Gooseneck trailer 24' long. Total trailer plus load is about 16,000lbs. Truck and crew based in Colorado, but will be travelling to Cali, Texas, North Dakota and possibly further.

    Do I need any DOT permit/number or truck stickering to be legal?

    #2
    Call
    c dot yet?

    yesnomaybe
    there are the rest of the answers yer gunna get here
    83, 22re,w56,ultimate duals,4:10 \31" arbs.
    hopes to grow up someday

    Comment


      #3
      Interstate Commerce - check
      Company Logos - check
      over 26k gross - check
      California - bend over

      Comment


        #4
        Under 26k. More like 23k. Does that mean lube allowed or is Cali sandpaper covered pegging no matter what?

        Comment


          #5
          Company logo is a magnet for needing dot numbers in Utah. They have clamped down hard on that here.

          Comment


            #6
            Under 26k is not the standard for determing whether or not you need DOT numbers. 26k is the standard for CDL licensing.

            Any individual unit over 10k will require DOT numbers for commercial use, therefore the truck and the trailer both need them. If you want to legally get away with no numbers, truck needs to be 9999 or less and trailer needs to be 9999 or less.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by FC4X4 View Post
              Under 26k is not the standard for determing whether or not you need DOT numbers. 26k is the standard for CDL licensing.

              Any individual unit over 10k will require DOT numbers for commercial use, therefore the truck and the trailer both need them. If you want to legally get away with no numbers, truck needs to be 9999 or less and trailer needs to be 9999 or less.
              Where would I find reference to that? or is it based on your experience trying to avoid problems?

              I am not calling shit on ya, I just need to show reasoning one way or the other.


              But it shows why I am asking you guys the question. FMCSA and other govt info sites suggest that based on what we are doing that we wouldn't need a number. Sorry, but I know what kind of incompetents work at the govt and I am just not going to trust it and end up with a guy stuck in another state with an impounded rig.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by FC4X4 View Post
                Under 26k is not the standard for determing whether or not you need DOT numbers. 26k is the standard for CDL licensing.

                Any individual unit over 10k will require DOT numbers for commercial use, therefore the truck and the trailer both need them. If you want to legally get away with no numbers, truck needs to be 9999 or less and trailer needs to be 9999 or less.
                This.

                And to note, it’s based on rated / registered / plated weight. This has had empty goosenecks left at scales because of licensing/DOT number issues waiting for the paperwork to be fixed or a buddy with a CDL to drive the pickup. My previous job had this issue with a particular DOT cop, and it was a state fleet owned pickup and trailer!

                I have to be very careful when sending crews interstate by pairing drivers, pickups, and trailers to make all the numbers work (I have a couple pickups running DOT numbers because it can’t always be avoided.)
                68 K20 Burb: 12Valve/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM
                53 Willys Wagon: 350/NV4500/BW4401/D44/9”

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by clodhopper View Post

                  Where would I find reference to that? or is it based on your experience trying to avoid problems?

                  I am not calling shit on ya, I just need to show reasoning one way or the other.


                  But it shows why I am asking you guys the question. FMCSA and other govt info sites suggest that based on what we are doing that we wouldn't need a number. Sorry, but I know what kind of incompetents work at the govt and I am just not going to trust it and end up with a guy stuck in another state with an impounded rig.
                  https://ask.fmcsa.dot.gov/app/answer...sdot-number%3F

                  You’d hit the first bullet point: vehicles over 10,000 lbs.

                  Where it could get tricky is if you’re interstate commerce. You’re traveling to be compensated for work in another state, most DOT cops would see that as interstate commerce. One could argue that the company is transporting company property to a company worksite and the vehicle movement itself isn’t commerce (a 3rd party isn’t paying you for the movement). I wouldn’t want to try and have a hired hand argue that at a scale, especially if you do charge a customer to drive to their location.

                  Easy way would be to have some DOT numbers put under the company logo. The number is free, assuming you don’t need operating authority (pretty sure you don’t)
                  Attached Files
                  68 K20 Burb: 12Valve/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM
                  53 Willys Wagon: 350/NV4500/BW4401/D44/9”

                  Comment


                    #10
                    That makes sense to me. Will having a DOT number on the truck in any way trigger the need for a CDL driver? I appreciate the help Lowrollin!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by clodhopper View Post
                      That makes sense to me. Will having a DOT number on the truck in any way trigger the need for a CDL driver? I appreciate the help Lowrollin!
                      Nope. They are two separate things.

                      To further complicate things, there is a third thing I just remembered: DOT medical cards are required for interstate commerce over 10,000lbs. CDL drivers will already have this covered, but your non-CDL drivers would need to carry their medical card after a DOT physical.

                      Edit: the medical card is not triggered by having the DOT number, but kicks in at the same limits as DOT numbers required, if that makes sense.
                      Last edited by Lowrollin70gmc; 1 week ago.
                      68 K20 Burb: 12Valve/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM
                      53 Willys Wagon: 350/NV4500/BW4401/D44/9”

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Lowrollin70gmc View Post

                        Nope. They are two separate things.

                        To further complicate things, there is a third thing I just remembered: DOT medical cards are required for interstate commerce over 10,000lbs. CDL drivers will already have this covered, but your non-CDL drivers would need to carry their medical card after a DOT physical.

                        Edit: the medical card is not triggered by having the DOT number, but kicks in at the same limits as DOT numbers required, if that makes sense.
                        Last job dealt with this. Most of the mangers/supervisors working in CA needed to get Medical Cards. Cause hook any trailer to any pickup and you’re over 10 combined rating. Already had all the DOT Number and CA Numbers from moving equipment with Lowboys.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by clodhopper View Post
                          Under 26k. More like 23k. Does that mean lube allowed or is Cali sandpaper covered pegging no matter what?
                          23k combined gross weight, or combined gross weight rating? Even without that if you are at 16k on the trailer (greater then 10k rating) you are in CDL territory.
                          WWJWD
                          What Would John Wayne Do

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Call c dot yet op?
                            83, 22re,w56,ultimate duals,4:10 \31" arbs.
                            hopes to grow up someday

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Even though the DOT number is free, there's some admin/records keeping required with having one, and you will get a safety audit after about a year-ish where they want to see it all.

                              Also, from personal experience, if you apply for a DOT number be careful what phone number you put on it, because you WILL get at least 10 calls per day for the next year from companies trying to get you to buy compliance services from them, which basically means they maintain some paperwork for you..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X