What's new

Zuk powered Lizard buggy build

So now that I have the location of the drivetrain finalized. I needed to get the chassis up off the ground and on jackstands. The next logical step was to get the axles figured out. Prior to the build, I had purchased a 9 inch rear axle. The front axle was going to be a custom unit built by myself. I got a Trail-Gear fabricated housing, but the knuckles were going to come off of a dodge Dana 60. I got my hands on the front axle that I needed. I had decided to use the Dodge factory inner C’s and knuckles as well as the unit bearing and brakes set up. I was good with this decision because a friend of mine is running this exact same set up on a buggy that has proven itself time and time again. The biggest bonus, was that because it was all factory parts, they are cheaper and easy to get. so I went about the hard work of removing the inner C’s, from the Dana 60. This was one of the hardest jobs I’ve had to do on the entire buggy. I was pretty impressed with how thick the dana 60 housing tube was. It was so thick, but I was able to use sections of the axle tube and make custom slugs to mate the inner C’s to the Trail-Gear fabricated housing.
40D0BC02-119F-4260-8739-BC665BD1A769.jpeg
E16F19B1-2432-4E6D-9946-CB335294BBBD.jpeg
B77495C0-D81B-4A60-838E-629FDD251B39.jpeg
4C20B161-A864-458F-83B7-E70093DA909B.jpeg
57A07566-2BDC-4F6D-8C77-29026C58197E.jpeg
Hey Joe. I know this is an older post. But, do you find it easier to use a slug than just put the C on the housing? I’m securing parts to build one of these axles and just looking at options. Also what inner shafts did you use? I still have Adam’s info for his inners if I want a similar width but yours looks a fair bit wider.

Thanks for any info.

Hey Joe. I know this is an older post. But, do you find it easier to use a slug than just put the C on the housing? I’m securing parts to build one of these axles and just looking at options. Also what inner shafts did you use? I still have Adam’s info for his inners if I want a similar width but yours looks a fair bit wider.

Thanks for any info.
Because the C’s came off a factory housing, and they weren’t aftermarket. I couldn’t select the opening size. I have a friend that has a lathe. Even turning down some of the doner axle tube it was still thick enough, that I felt it was going to be strong enough. If I knew someone with a mill. I probably would’ve had them opened up to fit the new housing. I did it this way because it’s what worked for me. I don’t think my way is the best or better than any other option. I can say that I’ve been wheeling the car hard for a little over a year now, and I have had no issues, and there are no signs of any problems.

Top Back Refresh