What's new

ZF5 output shaft compatibility.

billybob_81067

Redneck
Member Number
Loc
Southeastern Colorado
My boy just bought a 1996 F-350 4x4 with the 7.3 powerstroke and ZF 5 speed transmission. Bought it fairly cheap because the output shaft of the transmission and input of the transfercase are wallered out and stripped. Would an output shaft and gear cluster from a 460 ZF 5 speed fit? Or even just the output shaft and swap the gears over to the new one?

Still need to actually pull the transmission and verify that the case is good and bolt holes on the rear flange aren't all wallered out as well... Some guy on facespace is selling the output shaft from a 460 transmission and might be able to get this one going fairly cheap since it's the kid's money we're shopping with. :flipoff2:

Also how much of a PITA is the ol ZF 5 speed to work on. Have heard peple bitching and moaning about them before, but with some dial indicators to measure endplay and some shimming anything is possible right? Any good tutorials or guides to tearing one down and re-building it so it doesn't grenade?

I think the western truck and tractor has somewhat of a technical video about the ZF.

Well I looked it over more today and the transmission case is fucked too. Chunk of the flange on the back broke off with the transfercase. So he will probably be better off finding a different transmission to swap in.

EDIT: Definitely gonna watch the WWW video now though. Thanks!

Last edited:
The ZF5 has a 31spl output like every Ford of the era.

Being dumbass Europeans who don't believe in overkill it cracks tailhousings like a Chevy.

There's nothing special going on inside, it's a manual transmission.

those tailhousings were often cracked i worked at a ford truck salvage yard in their timeframe. lot of people just welded them up no problem.

you can change it of course, but you cant simply change it... all the tolerences are stacked from the back of the trans to the front so all that should be gone through if i understand correctly.

like said above the rear shaft (and also the bolt pattern) goes all the way back to 78/9 type np 205.

I have a 460 ZF5 core that looks good on the outside. She got spicy on the inside. I thought about rebuilding, and flipping, but I don't have time for that. I have not opened it up.

Case halves look good on the outside.

Lemme know

Last edited:
Sorry guys, been busy irrigating and putting up hay and didn't check on this thread in a while. My kid found a transmission nearby for a reasonable price so that's the route we're taking for right now. Maybe someday down the road I'll see if I can patch this other transmission back together for a spare, or just use parts off of it for other transmissions.

Top Back Refresh