What's new

you knew it was coming...New Covid Variant Identified In Africa

yeah, yeah, NY post article, I get it (not sure anybody else would try to use the shunned nation label for virus' at the time) :rasta:

Dated 10 May 2021

A new mutation of the highly contagious Brazilian COVID-19 variant has emerged in Florida, health officials said.

The newest variant, dubbed P2 or P.1.1, has a slightly different sequence than Brazil’s P1 strain, which has been found to be more likely to reinfect people who have already had the virus, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

University of Florida study April 2021

New research demonstrates that vaccination with CoronaVac, designed in China, is 50% effective at preventing COVID-19 within Manaus, Brazil.

The study includes a mixture of participants who had received either one or two doses of CoronaVac, which specifies a two-dose regimen for optimal efficacy. Further results are expected in the coming month that will include follow-up of participants who have since received their second dose.

Still, these preliminary findings are encouraging because the city has been ravaged by P.1 — which is widely known as the Brazilian variant of SARS-CoV-2. Manaus’s experience became a global warning regarding the wildcard factor that new variants pose to COVID-19 vaccination and mitigation campaigns.

In the new work, researchers from Brazil, the University of Florida, Yale University and Stanford University performed an observational study among nearly 70,000 health care workers in Manaus from January to March. With 2.2 million residents, Manaus is the country’s seventh-largest city. It lies at the juncture of the Amazon and Negro rivers in the center of the world’s largest rainforest.

This is the first study to evaluate the effectiveness of CoronaVac, developed by Sinovac Biotech, in a population where P.1 is widespread. Data on the vaccine’s effectiveness will continue to be collected over the next few weeks to determine if there are differences in effectiveness between receiving only one or both doses of the two-dose vaccine regimen.

The study is publicly available on the pre-print server medRxiv and has been submitted for scientific peer review.

“These results are very encouraging,” says first author Matt Hitchings, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Florida in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Department of Biology. “We found that vaccination with CoronaVac is effective at reducing symptomatic COVID-19 disease in a setting where there is a lot of transmission of the P.1 variant.”

While the 50% vaccine effectiveness is not as high as other vaccines in other settings, the finding of a protective effect is important given the circulation of the variant.

“The majority of people in the study had only received their first vaccine dose. Overall effectiveness may turn out to be higher as more people receive their second dose,” says lead investigator, Julio Croda, who is a senior researcher at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, the Brazilian Ministry of Health, and is an adjunct professor at the Yale School of Public Health. “This is a critically important finding for it tells us that ramping up vaccination will turn the tide against the devastating resurgence we are experiencing in Brazil due to the spread of the P.1 variant.”

UF biology professor Derek Cummings, who was hired under the university's preeminence program, also contributed to the study. Both Hitchings and Cummings are affiliated with UF's Emerging Pathogens Institute.

“It has been suggested that these new variants might be able to evade immunity generated by other vaccines,” Cummings says. “We need to understand how well CoronaVac will work where P.1 is the dominant virus in circulation.”

The rise of P.1​

The P.1 variant was first identified in several travelers from Brazil, who were tested during routine screening at Haneda airport outside Tokyo, Japan, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It emerged in Manaus in late 2020 and has since spread throughout Brazil and into neighboring countries. In late January 2021, it was detected in the United States.

P.1 is characterized by 17 unique mutations, including three in the receptor-binding domain of the spike protein, that make it more transmissible and potentially more dangerous.

Brazil has been particularly hard hit by the pandemic and variants of the virus. The country’s overall death toll from the disease is close to 337,000, which is second only to the United States. Recently, Brazil recorded more than 4,000 COVID-19-related deaths in a single day. Prior to its current surge, Manaus experienced a massive outbreak where researchers estimate that up to three-quarters of the city’s residents were infected, though not all were symptomatic.

I don't really trust what hospitals say anymore.

My wife is an RN, does work from home admin. stuff. 6 months ago delta hit her area, and all of the sudden hospitals were overrun with kids. Packed full of kids, dying left and right, the new delta strain- unlike the 1st round- is just as bad on kids as adults. CLOSE THE PLAYGROUNDS, SHIT JUST GOT REAL. The hospitals were being overrun with kids dying from covid-19.

So here we are, 6 months later... and it never really happened.? Out of her network, I think they lost 3 kids, all 3 of which had severe preexisting conditions. 3 kids. Out of 15-20 hospitals.

:confused:
See thier messaging worked, them letting you know the hazards led to evreyone taking precautions. You wouldn't have gotten that critical info if you were out looking at charts, graphs, reading papers and watching alternative news sources. Praise:usa::usa::usa:ourleaders:usa::usa::usa::flipoff2:

That was sarcasm for the dense...

Published March, 2021

March 24, 2021 -- The unchecked spread of the more contagious coronavirus variants in Brazil appears to have created even more dangerous versions of the virus that causes COVID-19.

A team of researchers from Fiocruz, a large public health research lab run by Brazil's Ministry of Health, documented the changes. Their findings were recently posted in a preprint on Virological.org, ahead of peer review.

The study describes 11 coronavirus sequences from five Brazilian states. Each had telltale changes to the virus receptor, making it one of the known variants. But, each also had additional changes to another important region of the virus known as the N-terminal domain (NTD).

The changes were deletions of important antibody-binding sites. Many of these were key deletions of a mutation that has arisen independently in other circulating variants and has been seen in viral mutations in convalescent patients with cancer, suggesting that it conveys an important advantage to the virus.

and if we look at the numbers, knowing that India is underreporting and there is no possible way to consider them "valid" based on their best efforts, India is leaps and bounds behind brazil in per-capita covid related issues. Even if we say that india is only tracking information from cities and then assume that it likely means raw cases in india probably correlate to total population raw cases in brazil, india still seems to be winning the game....despite or in spite of massive vaccine access and implimentation in Brazil and very poor vaccine penetration in India

I don't really trust what hospitals say anymore.

My wife is an RN, does work from home admin. stuff. 6 months ago delta hit her area, and all of the sudden hospitals were overrun with kids. Packed full of kids, dying left and right, the new delta strain- unlike the 1st round- is just as bad on kids as adults. CLOSE THE PLAYGROUNDS, SHIT JUST GOT REAL. The hospitals were being overrun with kids dying from covid-19.

So here we are, 6 months later... and it never really happened.? Out of her network, I think they lost 3 kids, all 3 of which had severe preexisting conditions. 3 kids. Out of 15-20 hospitals.

:confused:

My wife said they had a few kids with Delta, almost none with the V1.0 Rona. All the current patients are over 50, obese, or both. Most of the Hospitals in MT were 100%-150% full with this delta shit. The guard built an overflow area in a empty section of the hospital locally and brought in NG troops to help with housekeeping. You can get travel nurses but not travel housekeeping. Numbers are dropping now to just busy instead of crushed. If this shit happens again my wife is going to retire early, life is too short. I have a feeling round three will be the breaking point for a lot of nurses, so they better be packing the training courses now or making robots for the next round.

6ee2499d12f00323.jpg

Was just flipping through the news channels.

New variant might be vaccine resistant so please get vaccinated, what?
Midwest hospitals are being overrun by covid cases and biden is sending 30 dr's and some support staff, 30 people for the whole midwest??
Talking about how transmissible the the last two variants are but no mention of lethality. Are they hiding death numbers to protect biden or not mentioning them because it's really not that lethal

Midwest hospitals are being overrun by covid cases and biden is sending 30 dr's and some support staff, 30 people for the whole midwest??
Talking about how transmissible the the last two variants are but no mention of lethality. Are they hiding death numbers to protect biden or not mentioning them because it's really not that lethal
Not mentioning because it's about 1.5% lethality now.

It was a concern when it may have been 5%. Under 2 is not a concern, near 1 is basically zero :flipoff2:

Democrats will demand Der Fuhrer PedoJoe instill new mandates to save ourselves from ourselves!
Right before Christmas to ruin it and fuck up the new year, even more! You are witnessing purposeful chaos in action.

We all knew this

Can somebody please tell the leader of the sheep . If we just stop fear fucking the people, build massive covid care facilities, and scrap the whole covid vaccine idea we'd be money ahead and herd immunity secure.

I'm no scientist but in my early research, we knew the varients were inevitable. Seems all we've been doing is building a SUPER VRIUS whilst killing our economy, destroying small businesses and shitting down the throat of the physical and mental health of we the people.

Instead of pussy ass vaccines there should be an all out push to get people healthy while fortifying our preventative and post covid treatments.

I have no doubt the Democrat leftist elites will drive us all into communist style slavery or extinction to get all the power and profit they desire.

These sick fucks prove satin exists.

Fuck these idiots.

We all knew this

Can somebody please tell the leader of the sheep . If we just stop fear fucking the people, build massive covid care facilities, and scrap the whole covid vaccine idea we'd be money ahead and herd immunity secure.

I'm no scientist but in my early research, we knew the varients were inevitable. Seems all we've been doing is building a SUPER VRIUS whilst killing our economy, destroying small businesses and shitting down the throat of the physical and mental health of we the people.

Instead of pussy ass vaccines there should be an all out push to get people healthy while fortifying our preventative and post covid treatments.

I have no doubt the Democrat leftist elites will drive us all into communist style slavery or extinction to get all the power and profit they desire.

Fuck these idiots.
most of what you suggest does not give more power to the state/political elite. That's why it won't happen

from here
Flu Season Numbers for 2020/21 did not find anything easy to cut/paste from CDC

2020-2021 646 deaths were attributed to the flu.
2019-2020 24,000 to 62,000 deaths
In 2019/20, there were 195 pediatric deaths. There was one pediatric death during the 2020/21 season.

see we kicked the flu's ass

Final Flu Season Metrics 2020/21​

Each flu season, the CDC tracks a few important metrics that help tell the story of how severe the current flu season is compared to previous seasons. Here are a few numbers to sum up the 2020/2021 flu season, running from October 1, 2020 to April 1, 2021.

Mortality - The PIC mortality rate is the rate of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19. This year, the majority of PIC deaths were due to COVID-19. 646 deaths were attributed to the flu.

Pediatric Deaths - Pediatric deaths are the number of deaths of people under the age of 18. In 2019/20, there were 195 pediatric deaths. There was one pediatric death during the 2020/21 season.

Flu Season Resource Guide

Final 2019/20 Flu Numbers​

The final data on flu season 2019/2020 was released by the CDC in April as COVID-19 continued to spread throughout the United States.

Between October 1, 2019 and April 4, 2020, the flu resulted in:

• 39 to 56 million illnesses
  • 410,000 to 740,000 hospitalizations
  • 24,000 to 62,000 deaths
  • 195 pediatric deaths

Flu or Coronavirus? Learn the Difference

Health officials are urging people to get their flu vaccine as soon as possible this year to prevent the spread of flu amidst the coronavirus pandemic. Contact your primary care provider to schedule your flu shot or call your local pharmacy for more information.

Most of the Hospitals in MT were 100%-150% full with this delta shit. The guard built an overflow area in a empty section of the hospital locally

One of these things is not like the other...

Yes I know how hospitals work, but it's that kind of statistical manipulation that makes me disregard the whole fucking thing.

We all knew this

Fuck these idiots.

Once again, Desantis is crushing it here in FL.

Not sure if ppl have seen this

One of these things is not like the other...

Yes I know how hospitals work, but it's that kind of statistical manipulation that makes me disregard the whole fucking thing.

In our case they built a empty 2nd story on our new children’s hospital for future expansion. It was was just a big open empty space. The NG brought in their mobile hospital stuff, partitions, hospital beds, etc.

In Billings they split rooms and stacked hallways. Is isn’t a good situation for the patients or staff.

This is part we need to fix as this Rona stuff becomes endemic. We need mobile staff and hospital space as these waves move around the country. Or we can up the treatment game so not so many people land in the hospitals. Other than that we need to get back to normal.

In our case they built a empty 2nd story on our new children’s hospital for future expansion. It was was just a big open empty space. The NG brought in their mobile hospital stuff, partitions, hospital beds, etc.

In Billings they split rooms and stacked hallways. Is isn’t a good situation for the patients or staff.

This is part we need to fix as this Rona stuff becomes endemic. We need mobile staff and hospital space as these waves move around the country. Or we can up the treatment game so not so many people land in the hospitals. Other than that we need to get back to normal.
early on in this scamdemic the past administration had make shift hospitals built in a lot of major cities and non of them ever saw a single patient. im not sure who is feeding you your info but hospitals are empty from what I can tell. Yon got duped big time.

early on in this scamdemic the past administration had make shift hospitals built in a lot of major cities and non of them ever saw a single patient. im not sure who is feeding you your info but hospitals are empty from what I can tell. Yon got duped big time.
They were empty at that time as states requested aid thinking overwhelm was imminent, hence two weeks to flattens the curve and prevent hospital overwhelm. It's on the state to make the request, and while not ideal, it sounds like the system worked.

Call in ng to ready up temporary space and rock on, until the next wave.

I'd love for it to be legal to talk about various options, but we are well beyond that.

Top Back Refresh