What's new

You ever not like a particular car brand and then unwillingly realize you do?

Xjandyj

Member Number
I have always liked old GM...a bodies, f bodies,etc...never liked old mopars..at all..in March 2019 I picked up a 69 dart for a lemons rally and just picked up a 68 valiant. I guess I like old Mopar a bodies...I think it’s because they are cheap compared to the more popular models and how everything is very rudimentary..

Always had a Toyota 4wd of some sort. I didn't like their newer stuff and bought a Nissan instead. Now I like a bunch of Nissan vehicles.

I used to assume BMWs were a bitch to work on and expensive to own, then my daughter talked me into a 325 for her first car and I drove it and worked on it for 6 months before I gave it to her and it was actually reasonable on all counts and a blast to drive.

BMW’s. Never in my life would I ever have thought I would drive a bmw. I’m a carburetated engine kind of guy. This spring there was a post on a site who’s name shall not be repeated on cheap high performance cars and the 335D got brought up. Well a high performance diesel car is right up my wheelhouse. I was able to use the I have 10,000 gallon of diesel in the back yard to get my wife on board.

It’s a absolute blast to drive. I can’t wait to get it tuned and deleted for a extra 100+ hp and 175+ torque.

It’s sad I like it so much im actually looking for a 535d for a little bigger one to haul the family around in.

I forgot to add that when I’m not driving the fucker gets 34+ miles to the gallon.

Last edited:
I'm not brand biased except Kia/Hyundai. If I'm going to buy a shitbox, it's going to be a japanese <$5000 car. Couldn't spend $20k for a new one and much better used options.

Everything else is fair game, just for the driving experience.

I never thought I would become a Hyundai/Kia fan. My wife's first car was a 2000 accent, which we would still be driving if it wasn't for an unfortunate rock slide incident. Her current car is a 2011 Hyundai Tucson, i have also owned a 2010 Elantra and currently drive a 2014 Accent hatchback manual trans as my daily driver. Wife is starting to look for a bigger SUV to replace her Tucson, so naturally we are leaning toward the mew Hyundai Palisade.

As far as trucks go, I'd always considered myself to be a Chevy guy, but I've had far more Fords.

How about thinking a particular vehicle would be awesome till you get one and it’s the bane of your existence? I’m living that hell currently.

How about thinking a particular vehicle would be awesome till you get one and it’s the bane of your existence? I’m living that hell currently.

did you buy a 6.0l Powerstroke? :flipoff2:

I didn’t think I’d like Nissan. But my chick came with a 2015 Xterra 4x4. It’s been crazy reliable for someone who wasn’t taught to maintain stuff. I would have another one now. She bought it as a lease turn in with like 5,000 miles on it, goes 11 to 15 thousand miles between oil changes and it’s rocking 120K now. Only issues it’s had was from hitting a deer at 60 in it.

did you buy a 6.0l Powerstroke? :flipoff2:

Thankfully no. But I’m currently driving a 16 GMC 2500 4x4 6.0 6L80 gasser. I could fill a page in the engineering that makes you want to punch babies thread on this thing. All the Chevy fans brag about how nice the ride is, and I truly hate the fuckin thing. Not like “lol I say I hate it but really it’s fine” hate it. I mean I genuinely loathe this piece of shit.

Thankfully no. But I’m currently driving a 16 GMC 2500 4x4 6.0 6L80 gasser. I could fill a page in the engineering that makes you want to punch babies thread on this thing. All the Chevy fans brag about how nice the ride is, and I truly hate the fuckin thing. Not like “lol I say I hate it but really it’s fine” hate it. I mean I genuinely loathe this piece of shit.

Life is too short to drive something you hate. Sell the pile and buy something you will like.

I never thought I would become a Hyundai/Kia fan. .

Neither did I. I inherited a Kia (along with the payments) when my MIL died. That little fucker has been reliable and turning in 40mpg on my commute. Maybe I'm used to driving shit boxes, but that Kia is comfortable to drive on the highway, and has comfort features I'm not used in my other vehicles. I'm now a Kia fan.

I just can't see getting a GM due to their multiple bail outs, and Dodge/Ram for similar. I have a 1st gen CTD, and it suffers from the awesome Cryco QC issues with drivetrain being reliable and that's it's only redeeming feature. Don't think I'd buy a new Dodge.

Honda Element, was the dumbest car ever made and never liked them. Drove a buddies and found out the crap you can haul in one and handles like a go-cart. Now own one and it's my DD. I'm not in love with it but way better then I thought it was.

I understand your pain. the same drivetrain in a CCSB 2500hd is what pushed me into buying a diesel. MPG sucked, power band sucked, towed like shit over the passes.

Volvo. Was always a Euro car guy, but Volvos were meh. Then I decided I wanted a wagon, and whittled the list down to a v70 wagon. Love it. #longroof

I'm seeing a bit of a Kia theme here. We bought one thinking it'd be a few years and we'd trade it off for something else, ended up keeping it twelve years and 130k miles, and bought another to replace it.

Not so much brand as style but my brother and I both got minivans and a coworker just got one and we all thought the same thing. They are just too comfortable and practicle. They're not exciting by any means but its so much easier to pack the kids and their crap in than a sedan or SUV.

I absolutely hated everything Toyota for the longest time. They always felt "tinny" and "tiny."

I then was left my 97 Tacoma from my aunt that died. Shortly after I started looking for a truck. Found out the back window on the Tundra rolls down. Went and drove one and fell in love with it. I sold my 17 Infiniti Q50S and went and found a 2nd Gen 2012 Tundra Crewmax with the 5.7L. I've had a lot of Chevy trucks in the past, but probably like this Tundra more than any of them.

Another vote for KIA.

My wife wanted one of those hamster cars (Soul) when we first got married. I was totally against it but figured, not mine so I wouldn't have to deal with it. She picked out a top of the line ! version complete with 18" wheels, some kind of handling package:smokin: and a 6spd manual transmission. That fucking car was so much fun to drive it wasn't even funny! I borrowed it all the time and drove that bitch like a gocart everywhere I went. I even convinced her to let me take it to an autocross event once when we lived back in New England. I consistently ran better lap times in that box than alot of much more well equipped cars were running. Other than tires, brakes and oil changes it was reliable as can be.

When we moved to Texas it got traded in for a JKUR that she wanted. It was a little to small to be playing with the 18 wheelers, pickups and SUVs that are everywhere down here. :laughing:

Another vote for KIA.

My wife wanted one of those hamster cars (Soul) when we first got married. I was totally against it but figured, not mine so I wouldn't have to deal with it. She picked out a top of the line ! version complete with 18" wheels, some kind of handling package:smokin: and a 6spd manual transmission. That fucking car was so much fun to drive it wasn't even funny! I borrowed it all the time and drove that bitch like a gocart everywhere I went. I even convinced her to let me take it to an autocross event once when we lived back in New England. I consistently ran better lap times in that box than alot of much more well equipped cars were running. Other than tires, brakes and oil changes it was reliable as can be.

When we moved to Texas it got traded in for a JKUR that she wanted. It was a little to small to be playing with the 18 wheelers, pickups and SUVs that are everywhere down here. :laughing:

If i ever upgrade my daily driver I would probably look at a Soul. I love my Accent with a 6 spd manual. Its probably got the same engine and trans as the soul anyhow.

so I have a close friend who basically runs a lot and a few of his family members work there too.. but he does not own it, it is part of a chain

Recio Auto Credit.. in Austin.. on Airport Blvd.. if anyone needs a hookup.. just ask..,

he had told me about a truck and I went to go look at it, and I did not like it.. but I saw the dodge avenger sitting there, and I never even heard of an avenger.. the only Dodge's I ever liked were the Vipers (drove one, but didnt own it).. anyways.. I sit in this avenger and the AC blew super cold and the stereo sounded really great.. so he knocked like 4500 off the price, and I got it..

so I have a close friend who basically runs a lot and a few of his family members work there too.. but he does not own it, it is part of a chain

Recio Auto Credit.. in Austin.. on Airport Blvd.. if anyone needs a hookup.. just ask..,

Órale vato! Jew needa good peet-o-chit I picked up at de auctiono? No credita checka needed! Just yer mo't recent pay stub man...

yeah, fucking east Austin is where i want to go to buy a used car from a BHPH.

Came from ford and Toyota people, and only owned those, went into mining and working on a fleet of gmt400 and 800s. Rugged, reliable, easy to diagnose and repair, failures are consistent, hard to beat.

Started dating a chick with a Hyundai, turned up my nose at first, come to figure out that about 2006 Toyota cut corners and rode on their name and the South Koreans stole the show.

Órale vato! Jew needa good peet-o-chit I picked up at de auctiono? No credita checka needed! Just yer mo't recent pay stub man...

yeah, fucking east Austin is where i want to go to buy a used car from a BHPH.

:lmao:

Wonder if it comes with a free beret?

All this Kia talk...

We leased a 2015 Kia Sportage. Me and the wife both hated it. Absolutely uncomfortable. We gave it back after 3 years with 6,000 miles on it.

Surprisingly, Ford.

I grew up in a GM household. We had a Ford LTD wagon growing up... for about 6 months. The POS wouldn't stay running. Imagine being in the back of that thing around 1986 in a construction zone on the 405 being pushed off the highway by your uncle in a 70's dent side.

I refused to own or drive a Ford, until my first Ford conversion van. That thing was a tank. 97 with the first-year 2V 5.4... I got it to 301,000 trouble-free miles before my ex-wife vandalized it and I dumped it.

I'm not totally sold on them, but I'll drive a late-90's E-Series with a 5.4 any day.

Top Back Refresh