What's new

Yanmar wheeled mini-excavator?

larboc

Limestone cowboy
Member Number
Loc
Da yoop
I've been looking at getting rid of the backhoe I've been borrowing and finding for a mini-ex for around the house. The only thing I really need it for in the immediate future is cleaning out some ditches, and digging a footer for my shop build next spring. I saw this thing pop up and it caught my eye:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0537079246456/

I've already got a small and big loader so I have no need for a backhoe and this thing looks small and cheap enough to fit my needs. Not sure if that price is a little high for such an obscure piece of equipment. Not having an undercarriage to worry about is kind of appealing to me because I don't really need to run it on any surfaces that would require tracks. It would be nice if it would lift high enough to load into my dump truck (~100" off the ground) but I doubt it.

Thoughts?

Ima get to it before you do! :flipoff2::lmao:

It looks cool though, i very it gets stuck, a lot, unless it's on a good hard surface. Looks like the wheels are almost directly from a condor or similar aerial boom lift. This things can't go through anything sand or where it will sink, even 2" of soft will stop it.

I seen one like that on either marketplace or craigslist a while back, it was much newer but same basic thing. I was equally intrigued.

Would the fixed arm on it limit movement pretty bad? Seems like it would need to hinge in the bend of the arm to be useful.

Would the fixed arm on it limit movement pretty bad? Seems like it would need to hinge in the bend of the arm to be useful.

Don’t know what your seeing but it bends just like a excavator does. The picture is deceiving as it’s full straightened out.

0C4E03A6-98E8-4D99-B841-C12A7BA7F37C.jpeg
D5A4B7B0-4166-4DB0-9F13-20683ED62F2D.jpeg
D29A63F8-C3C9-4DAE-ADD6-CAAA0B5A4DFB.jpeg
38A2C790-6CD3-4F1D-8352-8B4A084DE7BB.jpeg
4EDC6A17-A11F-421B-831F-0196AB9AC934.jpeg
CA122931-1194-441F-9EB7-A8CC72B74E85.jpeg
Hard surface only but maybe install a set of those track systems in place of the wheels.

or, build your own undercarriage track system.

I've played with ~20t wheeled machines a bit. They suck very unstable (until you put the outriggers down, which the one you linked doesn't have) and lots of ground pressure. Opposite of a tracked machine.

For half that, I might think about it. $9k seems like a lot for that thing.

As mentioned it will get stuck everywhere, you'll be constantly dragging yourself out with the bucket.

Don’t know what your seeing but it bends just like a excavator does. The picture is deceiving as it’s full straightened out.

If i described it as an arm. It hinges at the wrist and shoulder but not at the elbow. It is a fixed bend. Would not be a problem pulling anything towards you? I was thinking the excavators i have seen hinge there also.
I dont operate one so im asking more than anything.

Last edited:
I think for its intended purpose it would be a fine tool to have around the house. Offer them 5K and be willing to go to 6K

If i described it as an arm. It hinges at the wrist and shoulder but not at the elbow. It is a fixed bend. Would not be a problem pulling anything towards you? I was thinking the excavators i have seen hinge there also.

That is how it works 99% of excavator booms are built.

Maybe Google it next time :flipoff2:

image_12614.jpg
a lot of european mini excavators have what's called variable angle boom so maybe thats what he is thinking about?

You could make timber mats like they do for the big mining machines. Seems like it would be a PIA matting yourself out to wherever you want to excavate stuff. Plus you need a helper unless you devise some system of loops you could put in each timber mat. Total PIA tho.

D1C1921B-119E-4A97-9592-A9A7A05A7923.jpeg

It pivots a dipstick but it’s down the banana boom bend.

Go price out an undercarriage.

That's why.

The cost of undercarriage replacement per hour is pretty low. Having the versatility of tracks definitely outweighs the drawbacks of replacement cost.

The wheeled machines have a purpose, lower cost of ownership vs tracked ones can really be considered.

What you are seeing is like a "bicep bulge" in the upper arm. The elbow is just down from there, but fully extended so not as obvious. I am guessing the bend was added to increase clearance or it may have been to resolve some hydraulic actuator limitation.

I realized where i went wrong after the OP corrected me. Hence the :homer:

Alright, how terrible are skid steer mounted excavators?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4111681993068/

I had one... Bobcat 909 attachment modified to fit a 773 Bobcat skidsteer. Sold them both recently after 6 years of ownership.

They work... but they can be a PITA, especially in close quarters. I never felt I was low on power. Down fall is that it did have a tendency to pull the machine around a bit. And sucked on hills.

EDIT: I don't think I'd pay $8k for that machine, though... Probably 1/2 that at most. It's small, gas and... oooold. I sold my 3500 773 w/ 909 for $11k. I was happy with that considering I had less into it (bought the machines for $6400...)

I had one... Bobcat 909 attachment modified to fit a 773 Bobcat skidsteer. Sold them both recently after 6 years of ownership.

They work... but they can be a PITA, especially in close quarters. I never felt I was low on power. Down fall is that it did have a tendency to pull the machine around a bit. And sucked on hills.

EDIT: I don't think I'd pay $8k for that machine, though... Probably 1/2 that at most. It's small, gas and... oooold. I sold my 3500 773 w/ 909 for $11k. I was happy with that considering I had less into it (bought the machines for $6400...)

They recently listed it again for $6500. Considering it comes with the extra bucket, forklift mast, and backhoe I didn't think it was too far off on price but I've never really done much SS shopping.

I have been looking for a ~10k lb tracked mini-ex but I am not finding anything in my price range, those little buggers hold their value. Would like something I can haul myself with my GN, so far the wheeled mini-ex in the OP is the best option I've come across but I'm still a bit unsure of how well it will work for anything but ditching a county road.

Top Back Refresh