What's new

XTerra Engine exchange

Ditchrunner

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
SW Montana
So my granddaughter just learned about keeping oil in an engine if you wanted it to stay running.

How bad is swapping an engine in an xterra? Just normal swing a wrench stuff or is there a bunch of gotchas?

Thinking about buying a wrecked one for the engine and swapping if it isn’t a total pita.

Thanks

So my granddaughter just learned about keeping oil in an engine if you wanted it to stay running.

How bad is swapping an engine in an xterra? Just normal swing a wrench stuff or is there a bunch of gotchas?

Thinking about buying a wrecked one for the engine and swapping if it isn’t a total pita.

Thanks
It’s easy, I’ve pulled one in a frontier and done times chains.

Look for cracks in the radiator support. If it's cracked, good reason to cut it out and replace it and makes the engine swap a whole lot easier.

It’s easy, I’ve pulled one in a frontier and done times chains.

Look for cracks in the radiator support. If it's cracked, good reason to cut it out and replace it and makes the engine swap a whole lot easier.
Thanks guys. Not sure why my notifications didn’t alert me when y’all posted.
Going to take the front cover off this week and see how bad the damage is. There was very little sparkly material in the oil filter so it might live again with just a new chain and tensioner.

4 or 6 cyl?

I am swapping a super charged v6 in a 2002. What a pain in the ass. .

The oil pan sticks way low so you have to drop the front diff down and out of the way and it still barely slips past.

Pretty much not worth it.

Mine is a 5 speed. If yours is an auto, then it's about to go out anyway do it definitely isn't worth an engine swap.

4 or 6 cyl?

I am swapping a super charged v6 in a 2002. What a pain in the ass. .

The oil pan sticks way low so you have to drop the front diff down and out of the way and it still barely slips past.

Pretty much not worth it.

Mine is a 5 speed. If yours is an auto, then it's about to go out anyway do it definitely isn't worth an engine swap.
This is a 4.0 v6 auto. 165k miles. Body is pretty good. If I can put 15-20 hours and $500 to save it I will.
It’s either that or buy another shitbox.

Book time is 15+ hours for a junkyard motor, 20+ for a long block. Knowing Nissan, it is put together stupid and will be a pain in the ass

Top Back Refresh