What's new

x3 visco lock axles

tracyb

Member Number
Loc
San Juan Islands
i destroyed my front end around new years. lots of new parts in the rebuild.

for axles i got rhino2 from satv. i also installed a torq locker in the diff....well, both front axles snaped the first day out, small sand dunes. one the entire spline stub the other and the retaining clip. i've got new ones coming, but dont want it to happen again. this seams like a non typical failure, any ideas why this would happen? had to tear down the diff to get the pieces out. pita. i'm not easy on my ride, and really liked the difference the torq locker made. but if this is goign to keep happening, i'll go back to the stock viso lock or maybe try a halo locker.

i been loving the x3, bullet proof besides my driving errors, until this. maybe order stock axles? get rid of locker? could it be an issue limit straps would help? (it does get aired out often)

iUu0k1yfkrz_5wERDIy6BfSZ78=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
ive had the SAME experience with those shitty 2.0 rhynos in my dad's defender. they litterally started clicking on the way out of the garage and didn't last for a week.

i went with gorilla axle and they have held up well to his "city boy" driving on the farm.

My buddy built a X3 up over the last few years. He is HARD on his stuff. He had the visco lock, blew up a few diffs before upgrading to the smart lock. Blew up two of those, and upgraded to a halo. He had an early version with 4 locking pins, and broke the pins/made a mess of the diff. Installed the parts needed to make it the upgraded version and hasn't broken it yet. He put on a set of early single idler portals and blew those up, and has the dual idler portals now and hasn't broken them...yet. Now he is destorying rcvs... Not sure any of that helps you at all though, but his halo has been holding up to a ton of abuse.

o54_TtUhlauueTaUvV8E-KNl=w2040-h1148-no?authuser=0.jpg

The only times I've seen the axles break at the retainer like that is when they are too short, did you compare the length to the stock axle?

The only times I've seen the axles break at the retainer like that is when they are too short, did you compare the length to the stock axle?
i haven't, but that was a thought and resoning behind maybe limit straps...

i'll check when i get a chance.

My buddy built a X3 up over the last few years. He is HARD on his stuff. He had the visco lock, blew up a few diffs before upgrading to the smart lock. Blew up two of those, and upgraded to a halo. He had an early version with 4 locking pins, and broke the pins/made a mess of the diff. Installed the parts needed to make it the upgraded version and hasn't broken it yet. He put on a set of early single idler portals and blew those up, and has the dual idler portals now and hasn't broken them...yet. Now he is destorying rcvs... Not sure any of that helps you at all though, but his halo has been holding up to a ton of abuse.

o54_TtUhlauueTaUvV8E-KNl=w2040-h1148-no?authuser=0.jpg
well i was very close to blowing up the diff before i opened it up. and the same day i broke the axles my buddy blew up his smart lock diff.
we're both thinking about buying new again.... zero problems int he first 1500mi, then breakage every time out. on both our machines.

i aint that wealthy, my friend is. if new has the magic, i'm in, and willbuy new every 1500mi. but it doesn't make sense to me.

Top Back Refresh