What's new

wwibbd? rebuild/replace 6L80E in 07 yukon denali xl?

shredator

Member Number
Have a 2007 yukon denali xl, which serves as the family camping rig. Trans is taking a moment to 'engage' in D, and goes into limp mode after being driven at hwy speeds. Throws lots of codes related to the trans.

So I'm assuming it needs a new trans. I'm torn between selling it as, or fixing and keeping. Local mechanic says that the only replacement trans he could find was from the dealer, and was $3500, which seems expensive.

What say the IBB? anyone know a good source for replacement 6l80's? can a diy-er rebuild them? sell as is?

Thanks

Dealer reman is the way to go if you're happy with the rig and the engine and want to keep it around a few more years. That tranny actually is worth mentioning in a ad when you eventually sell it vs saving $580 on a local 12mo/12k rebuild

I'd start searching "gm parts wholesale" and you'll figure out what the wholesale price of that trans is, take that price to your local dealer to skip the shipping costs

Just because your mechanic said it's 3500 doesn't mean you can't do better...

Search

GM (19418650)​

That's 2008 Denali 6.2 6l80e 4wd for $3020-3300 all over a 30 second search

Most of the one I see are where the tcc has separated, plugged up the pump and starved everything else for fluid. The pump is part of the bellhousing.

Not exactly a DIY job like a 4l80

The only two special tools you really need are the giant snap ring pliers and a pump alignment tool. The others can all be fabbed if you have some 5/16 or so round rods and thread stock. I've personally rebuilt (2) 6L80Es with a friend's home built tools and he has rebuilt hundreds of 6L80s and 4L60/65s while working for one of the "big" 4WD conversion parts dealers here in Utah.

If you like the rig and want to keep it I was around $800 + a new converter for a full rebuild. I did Raybestos red clutches, kolene steels, Sonnax shift kit, boost valve, blue molded pistons and a few other upgrades on each.

Dealer reman is the way to go if you're happy with the rig and the engine and want to keep it around a few more years. That tranny actually is worth mentioning in a ad when you eventually sell it vs saving $580 on a local 12mo/12k rebuild

I'd start searching "gm parts wholesale" and you'll figure out what the wholesale price of that trans is, take that price to your local dealer to skip the shipping costs

Just because your mechanic said it's 3500 doesn't mean you can't do better...

Search

GM (19418650)​

That's 2008 Denali 6.2 6l80e 4wd for $3020-3300 all over a 30 second search
If someone shows up at any decent shop with their own transmission the labor will go way up or they will be told to gtfo.

add a big stacked plate cooler and bypass the one in the radiator or replace the radiator make sure the shop does this or it won’t last a year.

If someone shows up at any decent shop with their own transmission the labor will go way up or they will be told to gtfo.
Only idiots do that. Smart people ask your tech if he wants some side work. You really gonna tell your tech he can't use the shop after hours to change the tranny in his uncle's car? :flipoff2:

Only idiots do that. Smart people ask your tech if he wants some side work. You really gonna tell your tech he can't use the shop after hours to change the tranny in his uncle's car? :flipoff2:
I am a one man shop right now but when I had a tech I paid him well enough that he Didn’t need do shit like that. And I would fire someone for lying about whose car it was. Maybe in Massachusetts where you do everything else fucked up and stupid.

Worked on a 6l80e in a G8, hanging shifts and delayed engagement, new solenoid pack and a reflash returned the shifting to normal.

I found a 2012 6l80e out of a Tahoe for $275 with 125k on it... had it rebuilt by my mechanic buddy for another 250...525 into a newly rebuilt 6l80e for my next build.
I think if you tried you could do the same or close to it.
Good luck

Reactions: DMG
First question is what the fluid looks like? That's going to say something to whether it is electronics like Thatg9659 says or internals. Do some homework to get a better idea of what is going on than "I got a problem and some codes."

Top Back Refresh