What's new

WTK: Not that I really GAF but need to know law about

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
Fuel tanks and if its legal to plumb a tank on a 3500 Chevrolet truck that sits in the back on the flatbed into the main tank to refill ?

Truck has main tank and auxiliary back where the spare tire would be on a standard bed truck.

Any law that says you cannot connect a line from the bed mounted tank to the main tank under the bed between the frame rails ?

Thx

Last edited:
What year is the truck?

As far as I know, and as far as smog is concerned, I believe legally it needs to be either setup like factory dual tanks or some form of disconnected transfer tank setup. The year of the truck really comes into play here as the newer it is the more restrictions you have. If the GVWR of the truck is high enough, you might not have any issues either. Honestly, as long as the smog tech can't see it, doesn't know about, or just doesn't care and is willing to pass it, I doubt you'd be bothered much at all.

I don't know of any laws specifically against the setup your talking about, but also haven't researched them either. Most of the auxillary fuel tanks I've seen are setup that way.

Kevin

No smog regs have Jurisdiction over any of my automobiles.

One is a 2007 and the other is a 1986.

So long as its a existing fuel tank with road tax paid fuel it shouldnt matter. Afaik the whole deal with bed tanks is theyre not tested and certified as primary tanks. They dont pass any structual or crash testing as well as the return and ventilation systems.

Being as its a vehicle tank it should be fine. I had a blazer tank in the bed of my 75 swb crawler for 5y with a gas cap mounted on the bed rail, never heard a peep about it.

You have seen the tank its 18"□ x60L.

So about 80 gallons.

Does it matter the type of fuel ?

So long as its a existing fuel tank with road tax paid fuel it shouldnt matter. Afaik the whole deal with bed tanks is theyre not tested and certified as primary tanks. They dont pass any structual or crash testing as well as the return and ventilation systems.

Being as its a vehicle tank it should be fine. I had a blazer tank in the bed of my 75 swb crawler for 5y with a gas cap mounted on the bed rail, never heard a peep about it.

Not certified as if it was it would have cost 2500.00 most likely.

I had it fabbed back in 1986.

Top Back Refresh