What's new

WTK: DOES A CHEVY 1981-1991 □ Body have the frame strength to house a 4BT or 6BT ?

What is the intended end use of this vehicle? If you are considering a 4bt than why not a V8 diesel offered by GM?

Tje GM V8 diesel that this truck came with was gutless.

Would rather have a non electronic diesel with turbo that was factory offered, no factory turbo offered in 86 with the 6.2L gm diesel.

The intended use is survival in the future in all possible surroundings and circumstances.

Including post chinese infiltration.

The reason for a non electronic diesel is to live thru emp events.

air starters for Cummins engines below.

https://airstartersdirect.com/air-st...iesel-engines/

Last edited:
Still need to swap the heads and oil pan to a non v drive pan as now the oil pump pickup is on the rear of the pan the way the engine sits in the hull.

And swap the heads as the heads on the engine now are massive port and dont flow correctly for the rpm the engine would see.

I choose this, use this.

So an air starter or an additional starter pad on the bellhousing for a spring starter.

https://www.austart.com/products/kineteco-spring-starters
Spring-Starter-on-Engine.jpg

Is there a Cummings V8 diesel with turbo.

That would be a nice path to go down.

Not the 6.2 but something that uses the same hang on parts as the 6bt.

Is there a Cummings V8 diesel with turbo.

That would be a nice path to go down.

Not the 6.2 but something that uses the same hang on parts as the 6bt.

No there is not. v8 diesels are ford or GM 6.2 or 6.5ls. All with more electronics than a 6BT

Maybe a BBC in any displacement is better than the alternative of strange changes and fitment.

It would take massive front springs I would guess to support the weight and much effort to shoehorn a 6BT into my M1031 turned M1028A2 frame.

Almost double the weight on the same front axle ehhh.

Last edited:
I did the 4BT swap to an early Dodge . The Cummins will not survive with 4.56 and a NV4500 . Mine was 4.10 and is now a 3.54 . It gets 25 mpg anyday of the week . You push it the fuel MPG goes to the basement x10 . Springs are a must . Dodge input will not swap into early GM 4500. Different gear ratios . It can be done , but requires gear changes . The Dodge 23 spline 205 is getting tough , the coupler is even worse . 29 spline is later version it’s there but got to look. Most Dodge NV4500s had NP241 hanging on them. Mine is 23 spline NP4500. My truck doesn’t get tons of off road play time , it gets used for farm work and snowy road travel . The Cummins will take a life time to wear out if maintained and driven like a diesel and not a gas motor . I swapped turbos to HX30W , turned up the fuel , fuel pin , smoke screw adjustment . I’m running a 225 Cu in gas radiator , you can not make it over heat . I have a 6BT in an 05 Dodge SRW 3500 also . The difference in power is apples to oranges . The head and block decks must be flat to rebuild , do not attempt to rebuild without flattening each surface . I have done an 03 GM to 4bt . Never again ! The parts to swap Cummins to GM trans are big $$$ vs stock Dodge parts .
Last thing Cummins does make a V8 , 5L Diesel . If you don’t think so look at Nissan trucks . My Buddy bought one new , it was gone in a year . The engine as any Cummins was tank tough but the rest of the truck was grocery getter stuff . If I can be of any help , let me know .

Can't build a lead box around the computer? or vp44? just wrap the whole truck in copper mesh or tinfoil:flipoff2:

Maybe a BBC in any displacement is better than the alternative of strange changes and fitment.

It would take massive front springs I would guess to support the weight and much effort to shoehorn a 6BT into my M1031 turned M1028A2 frame.

Almost double the weight on the same front axle ehhh.

6bt are done practicaly daily in these trucks. Its as easy as its ever been to do a BOLT IN SWAP at this point. Its not cheap and a lot of effort.

Cummins makes v6. Its 1800lbs but it exists.

Ill trade you my stock mark 4 and do the swap for that complete as is blower motor ;)

And would you fucking stop with the air starter bullshit. Has to be litteraly the worst option for a starter. Now you need to have a built in seperately operated air compressor if it sit for more than 24hrs.

And would you fucking stop with the air starter bullshit. Has to be litteraly the worst option for a starter. Now you need to have a built in seperately operated air compressor if it sit for more than 24hrs.

Some of us are capable of plumbing an air system that isn't leaky shit. Probably not you. Certainly not the person asking. But some of us. :flipoff2:

That said he's gonna be real pissed when he discovers the other common failure mode of air starters. :laughing:

OP look up inertia starter. available for 6bt, might work with other shit if you use a SAE bellhousing

Ahh yes aka spring starter, if that is what you're thinking.

Spring-Starter-on-Engine.jpg

OP look up inertia starter. available for 6bt, might work with other shit if you use a SAE bellhousing

Yeah I'll bet you would.

Ever since the fire ive had a respiratory issue that I havent been able to get treated rifht so dont know how many of my projects will ever get done.

Help me sell my shit ill give you a cut.

CL keeps flagging my ads cant get anything sold.

Get my jeep sold for 6K keep the excess.

6bt are done practicaly daily in these trucks. Its as easy as its ever been to do a BOLT IN SWAP at this point. Its not cheap and a lot of effort.

Cummins makes v6. Its 1800lbs but it exists.

Ill trade you my stock mark 4 and do the swap for that complete as is blower motor ;)

The air or spring or just reverse rotation 12v starter is an additional starter beyond the standard location starter as a backup to the standard position starter.

there is method behind my madness, backups and backups since I'm building this thing Im building it to my design / specific desires.

Thats the only reason I've been considering a 6bt engine (lack of electronics) to smoke in an EMP event.

If you're just wanting an engine to survive an emp. The early turbo 6.5 were mechanical. They have a little more giddy-up then the 6.2, and can be turned up a smidge without excavating parts. Would be a whole lot cheaper and easier then swapping a 6bt.

And for what it's worth, I believe a starter will still work after an emp. It's a mechanical switch that makes it work, not electronics.

I might also run a 4BT.

Depends upon events in the future that are bank rolling this project.

Would love to make a 6.6 LBZ into mech fuel injection and the other items that would normally require electronics.

Top Back Refresh