What's new

WTK: DOES A CHEVY 1981-1991 □ Body have the frame strength to house a 4BT or 6BT ?

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
Without additional gussets etc.

Looking for additional options in diesel engines that are impervious to EMP.

SOA no electronics beyond the starter maybe...

Was also thinking of using a air or spring starter but dont know of the success of these ideas.

Discussion commence below.

https://youtu.be/meqfDFY0Ob8

Last edited:
Awesome, didnt know about things I would need to adapt to standard mounts and spacing front to back with the 6bt.

unsure if the 2 additional cylinders are worth the additional weight.

Last edited:
As an alternative, would you spend less time doing a cab swap from your Chevy to the Dodge?:confused: No idea but at least you know the chassis and drivetrain will be up to the abuse... at least as far as Dodge is concerned:laughing:

I thought about the above route of a 96 or lower Dodge chassis with a 70 or 71 C10 cab/bed... wheel bases are pretty damn close if not exact depending upon years.

There is plenty of info out there. I have a 95 K3500 that I'm saving for a cummins swap. I believe there is a couple builds on 4btswaps that I remember looking at.

Another website I need to lookup a password for.

Dang...

Will it cost / hurt much ?

I had planned to drop the boat motor into the M1031 but friends are saying dont do it.

THEY say get another motor a BBC or a 6BT.

Having a look at the 4bt swaps website.

It seems I already had an account there.

If the M1031 gets the 4BT or the 6BT I have had a late model NV4500 for the past 5 or so years so got the OD covered.

No interest in the 6.2L, unaware that it ever came with a factory turbo.

The ratio will most likely be changed as the D70 is a 4:10.

Do you really need the extra power of the 6bt vs the 6.2?

I can't imagine a cummins with 4.56s and no OD :laughing:

If the M1031 gets the 4BT or the 6BT I have had a late model NV4500 for the past 5 or so years so got the OD covered.

No interest in the 6.2L, unaware that it ever came with a factory turbo.

The ratio will most likely be changed as the D70 is a 4:10.

Doesn't it already have a working 6.2 in it? Or is that gone?

Is the 4500 from a cummins?

No engine in it now, the 6.2 that was in the m1008 (black truck) took a huge shit when I had a radiator rebuilt and the atf cooler failed.

The unit being built now is a M1031 (M1031 utility box with PTO drive for generator) thats being converted to a M1028A (dually)

4500 is a brand new unit that has a 1.250 input from a mfg in Minnesota

Last edited:
Whats a new COMPLETE 4BT gonna cost from a reputable shop and what kinna mileage will it provide ?

$8000.and i doubt youll find a truely complete one. Used stock 4bt are going for 3500-4500(fucking more exspencive than 6s)

in a truck that big a 4bt will be underpowered and overworking. Bet it would get -13mpg.

6bt would get as much as 23-24. But not with 4.10s even with od.

Your 1.25" gm input is 1" shorter than a dodge. Youll prob want to run a gm setup or swap that gm for the longer dodge.

Reactions: PAE
Buy my dodge. Take the 354 d80 amd d60 dodge drw wheel hubs. Put 3.54 and the dodge hubs on your gm front. Put the d80 out the back. The 24v 6bt with the fass fuel pump. Get your input swapped for a dodge. And a round face 205 with a spacer for the input.

buy motor mounts and cross member from 40 different vendors. 6" front leaf springs (they squat down to about 4" with the wieght) and some 37 h1s

Buy my dodge. Take the 354 d80 amd d60 dodge drw wheel hubs. Put 3.54 and the dodge hubs on your gm front. Put the d80 out the back. The 24v 6bt with the fass fuel pump. Get your input swapped for a dodge. And a round face 205 with a spacer for the input.

buy motor mounts and cross member from 40 different vendors. 6" front leaf springs (they squat down to about 4" with the wieght) and some 37 h1s

Then just swap out the vp44 :flipoff2:

..……….…………

​​​​If your cucv chassis is like a regular c channel square body frame I would recommend plating at least the front half. I'm not really family with cucv trucks so it might not be necessary. On the other hand you'll probably be glad you did while you're out driving around post EMP.:laughing:​​​​​​

From what into what ?

The whole frame is painted in black epoxy.

Last edited:
So whats it gonna cost ?

Yes somewhat obvious, every mod I make costs long green.

With your dodge how much or with a 4bt / 6bt cost ?

Ballpark not asking for exact green just an idea of outlay to start ?

Txt if you like, thx.

The frame is plenty strong enough. I boxed my CCLB frame rails when I cut the Cummins powered M1008 up to build the dually but it was not needed IMO. I mainly did it because I grafted the M1008 front frame section onto the CC chassis with a Z cut.

Last edited:
The frame can obviously handle it for street driving. Pretty much anything will work on the street.

But even with just the weight of a 292 over the front end a K30 will rip the steering box off the frame if you so much as think about driving on dirt.

So you might as well reinforce the frame by the steering box while you have the engine out.

Thanks for the info and link.

I have the transmission and transfer case NV4500 / NP205 late pattern.

Will just need to source the items at the link to gusset the frame and box it and the engine.

Newb has the engine so just wating on the lawyers to get the coin to do all of this.

Rob Bonney makes a :grinpimp: motor mount and frame plating kit.

http://robbonneyfab.com/

I have around 6K in my swap in a '99, including engine/trans/tcase overhaul. But I'm a diy kind of guy.

Suit from camp fire.

Its almost ready to pay off.

The engine that newb has for sale requires a computer and even has a little one right there on the injection pump. No biggie really... Just so long as you aren't anticipating am EMP.​​​​​

Ive been informed on how to ditch the computer.

The big block I had ready to pull from the boat and stuff into the truck didnt have that issue so I do have a backup plan.

Backup plan if the 6bt idea goes sideways.

20210214_211834.jpg

my friend did a cummin 6BT swap in a 79 K10 and never plated or did anything besides swap to a front lift spring since motor weighed more and lost ride height.

I had planned to do a lift, unsure of how much lift

Top Back Refresh