What's new

Wtf, broken exhaust manifolds

If the ignition is retarding while driving, it will heat up the exhaust.

I would try brazing the cracks. Can't remember the exact filler but it's some sort of Flux bronze filler

That sucks. I wished I went this route on my 5.7 though.

Im curious how the header fits. I'll need a set too
I'll keep you posted, I'm pulling the heads next week to access the damage and possibly just do a head job.

If the ignition is retarding while driving, it will heat up the exhaust.

I would try brazing the cracks. Can't remember the exact filler but it's some sort of Flux bronze filler
I changed the pcm and the ignition timing seemed to smooth out and the truck was running better. I wish that I would have repaired the orginal gm manifolds.

I'll keep you posted, I'm pulling the heads next week to access the damage and possibly just do a head job.
That's what I did on my 5.7 both cold welded. Kinda why i wanted the crate but time will tell when I'll drive it again.

I'll continue with plan of ceramic coat on stock header and down pipe.

Who did you order the motor through?

I've got an 89 c2500 and can't kill that motor lol, but it's north of 300k rn and the rest of the truck is SOLID. I've seen that pn# and list is around 4k for that crate motor...kinda hard to stomach 4k for my spare truck.

Who did you order the motor through?

I've got an 89 c2500 and can't kill that motor lol, but it's north of 300k rn and the rest of the truck is SOLID. I've seen that pn# and list is around 4k for that crate motor...kinda hard to stomach 4k for my spare truck.
My dad ordered it, actually I didn't know until I showed up from the jobsite and it was here.

It came from the dealership and yeah it was right around 4k, I can find out which one tomorrow.

Weird. Both broken exhaust ports on the manifolds also had head gasket leaks.
20220705_151237.jpg

20220705_151221.jpg

That sucks. I wished I went this route on my 5.7 though.

Im curious how the header fits. I'll need a set too
The driver's side was a pita... I didn't want to cut the alternator bracket as suggested by the instructors so I made some spacers out of ¼" pipe reamed out to ⅜" id. I also had to sand the bracket a bit. I made custom bolts for these two positions. I rounded the head a bit of the inside one, a reduced head size bolt would have been the ticket. Or modifying the bracket to reach the next header mounting bolt. The passenger side dropped right in.
20220707_135620.jpg
20220707_135044.jpg
20220707_135038.jpg
20220707_124300.jpg
20220707_124254.jpg
20220707_113041.jpg

It looks good.

Link to ceramic spark plug protector?

Did you just refresh motor instead of putting crate in?

It looks good.

Link to ceramic spark plug protector?

Did you just refresh motor instead of putting crate in?
Yes, I just did a head job. I'll try to find the spark plug covers. These are standard ac delco wires with the sleeves installed, if I end up installing h.d. "header" wires I'll update this.

Everything is going smoothly with the truck so far. It is running smoothly hasn't been loosing water, no exhaust leaks or burned spark plug wires.

The crate engine is just taking up space :homer:.

Glad to hear that it's going well and you're happy with it.

Still needs a big block though. :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh