What's new

Worth buying to fix?

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Been looking at dump trailers off and on for a year or two. It would be for personal use only, hauling dirt, occasion gravel, brush. Can't really justify spending 9-10k for it to sit 90% of the time. I am sure I would use it more than I think but still not worth the $ for it to sit mostly. This mechanic special popped up on CL a week ago. Looks like the seller tried dumping on a side hill and killed the hoist and rear hinge point. I have not looked at it in person yet. What is in the pics is all I have seen.

My thought was go look and make an offer. Honestly I am thinking $1k or so. that is a rusty trailer, Looks like I can get a new scissor hoist for about $1500. I'd chain come along the box back over on the frame to get it home. Offload the dirt then remove the box from the frame and fix any broken structural. Is this worth saving?

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tro/d/kansas-city-14-gooseneck-dump-trailer/7286758691.html

I'd look at it in person

aside from it being bent and broken and fucked up paint, are the components wore out?

is the ram bent?

it could be scrap metal, or it could be a weekend of heating beating and welding from having a usable dump trailer, that is worth $5k likely more

I'd go look at it and inventory components.

Several years ago i bought a BGTL truck that had been flopped and scattered. Everybody wrote it off. I think I had only $400 in hard parts before moving to the bodywork, drives straight as an arrow

Take some money and go look it over

Scrap the box, deck it and resell it? Though a 14’ GN may not be a popular length.

Hoist is fucked, bottom of lift cyl is fucked, its rusty.

Offer scrap value and make a car trailer

01515_6xWCxuXVuipz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I'd look at it in person

aside from it being bent and broken and fucked up paint, are the components wore out?

is the ram bent?

it could be scrap metal, or it could be a weekend of heating beating and welding from having a usable dump trailer, that is worth $5k likely more

I'd go look at it and inventory components.

Several years ago i bought a BGTL truck that had been flopped and scattered. Everybody wrote it off. I think I had only $400 in hard parts before moving to the bodywork, drives straight as an arrow

Take some money and go look it over

I may go look. Wife is out of town right now and has my tow rig so will have to wait til Saturday.

Scrap the box, deck it and resell it? Though a 14’ GN may not be a popular length.

Had a 16' 14k goose that my brother ordered that way to haul firewood on. his reasoning was short to maneuver easier when delivering firewood but still be able to haul 2+ cords at a time. It pulled great but I ended up selling to get a 24' so I could haul my tractor with plow and tiller at the same time on the deck.

If the axles and brakes are good, and the gooseneck and front of the frame are good, offer scrap value if you have a use for those parts.

Otherwise, hard pass.

That whole frame has to be twisted. Soil is heavy. Like others said, scissor mechanism and piston are fucked, the back of the bed and/or frame where the hinge is must be a pretzel. Box is already rotted in a few spots.

If the box can be cut off, and the frame isn't too mangled, it could make a neat, short, car hauler, but it'd take some serious money to make that thing a dump trailer again.

I wouldn't go above 1k.

From the pics it loks like your worst case situation is rebuilding the hinge. That's not hard or expensive. Decent amount of grinding and welding to do right but not a hard job by any means. You'll have to un-fuck the folded over scissor but that's not to hard. It looks like most of it broke at the typical "minimum amount of shitty tacks" that trailer manufacturers seem to use for all their weld joints. When separated the bod and frame should be easy enough to bend back by cribbing up the low corners and putting stupid weight on the high ones.

I agree with the stupid lazy people in here that it will be a ton of work to get "nice" but if you don't mind a dent in the floor and it being slightly out of square I think it's the cheapest way you'll find yourself in possession of a working GN dump trailer.

Floor patches are easy and IMO regular maintenance on anything that hauls bulk material and dumps.

I would buy it for sure, but not for 3500.

As others have said likely not more than 1000. MAYBE a bit more if the ram is straight and its mostly just broken welds. But that's not likely.

I talked to the seller and he claims someone is going to buy it for full asking price next weekend. I told him good luck, I was a long way from $3500 on what I would give. I straight up told him that thing was gonna need a lot of work and parts to unfuck it. He sent me a few more pics. It broke the rear pivot on the back of the frame and the scissor hoist is scrap in my mind. I'd cut it all loose and replace it with a new one.

I pretty much decided it was only worth about $5-600 to me. honestly I don't really have enough use for one to justify the price. I'll just rent one for a weekend when I need it.

Yeah, he's telling you a story.

i didnt make an offer. he actually told me he has it spoken for when I called to see if it was still for sale.. But yea I think you are right and he's full of shit

i didnt make an offer. he actually told me he has it spoken for when I called to see if it was still for sale.. But yea I think you are right and he's full of shit

That, or one of those "whats ur bottom dollar" jackasses is stringing him along, and the poor guy doesn't realize it and is turning away real potential buyers :laughing:

I give it a 9 out of 10 shot that the seller is an old guy who doesn't know how online sales work, and he's taking the word of some methy scrapper who will either show up and offer $500, or not show up at all.

Or maybe someone out there is a retard and willing to pay $3500 for a completely FUBAR'ed $4000 trailer.

for a completely FUBAR'ed $4000 trailer.

Dunno how it is around your neck o the woods. Around here you arent touching a used dump trailer, in any shtty barely working condition, for less than 6 or 7k. Virtually the price of new. I was looking for several years trying to find one in my price range and ended up settling for a much smaller one than I wanted. That "trashed" trailer would be snapped up at asking price, the bed pulled back into general alignment with a snatch rope and a mid 90s civic sporting a bitchin thump bass speaker, a few crap welds that look more like popcorn and it would be on the road Monday heading to a landscape job behind a clapped out standard cab 1/2 ton pickup that has 4 colors of paint and just as many guys across the bench seat.

Dunno how it is around your neck o the woods. Around here you arent touching a used dump trailer, in any shtty barely working condition, for less than 6 or 7k. Virtually the price of new. I was looking for several years trying to find one in my price range and ended up settling for a much smaller one than I wanted. That "trashed" trailer would be snapped up at asking price, the bed pulled back into general alignment with a snatch rope and a mid 90s civic sporting a bitchin thump bass speaker, a few crap welds that look more like popcorn and it would be on the road Monday heading to a landscape job behind a clapped out standard cab 1/2 ton pickup that has 4 colors of paint and just as many guys across the bench seat.

I know I'm a rust snob, but that trailer is a beat POS even without the damage. In the PNW I can go buy a brand new tandem dump trailer today, at normal off the street prices, for:

7k $5000
10k $7000
14k $8000

I know I'm a rust snob, but that trailer is a beat POS even without the damage. In the PNW I can go buy a brand new tandem dump trailer today, at normal off the street prices, for:

7k $5000
10k $7000
14k $8000

You are agreeing with my point, and why I never found one at a price I would accept. If I am spending almost full price, I am going to buy new. Unfortunately, for as often as I need one, the new price on a dump trailer covers a pretty big number of rental days, and when renting I dont have to deal with tagging and maintaining the sumbich.

I am regularly amazed at what people are willing to spend on used/poorly maintained stuff.

You are agreeing with my point, and why I never found one at a price I would accept. If I am spending almost full price, I am going to buy new. Unfortunately, for as often as I need one, the new price on a dump trailer covers a pretty big number of rental days, and when renting I dont have to deal with tagging and maintaining the sumbich.

I am regularly amazed at what people are willing to spend on used/poorly maintained stuff.

Gotcha, yeah we agree. If someone else thinks that trailer is worth $3500 then I guess it's their money to waste.

he claimed he spent $12,500 on the replacement. Said his business was so backed up he had to replace it immediately. Around here there are no used dump trailers listed. I guess when people buy them they either work them into the ground or just won't sell. Honestly I don't think his buyer will show up. he even told me the guy is supposed to buy it next weekend but has to borrow the money from someone. I think he knows the chances of the buyer actually following through are slim.

Like Yotota said, dump trailer prices are high. a 14k bumper pull 83*14' is $8500+ around here for new. add options like 7ga floor, spreader gate and other things and it's $10k real fast.

I can rent one for $110-125 a day around here from several rental lots. Would take a lot of weekends of renting to cover purchase price, taxes, insurance and general upkeep.

Or you could walk into that deal intending to invest a total of 4k and 20 hours

if it's gonna take $1k to fix, your offer tops out at 2500, if it's gonna take 2k to fix, you offer 1500.

sweat equity, it's real:usa:

I am not interested unless it's scrap price.. that is a rusty POS and I have much better things to waste money and time on.

Top Back Refresh