What's new

Worn Out Factory Drivetrain Mounts

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
What happens when 27 year old/255,000-mile motor mounts and tranny/T-case mount (completely) die?

Is there violent vibration upon somewhat abrupt acceleration?

This happened to me; I coasted to the middle lane and decided to find a side street to pull off of instead of staying on a busy boulevard.

While looking/coasting I noticed I could accelerate/maintain 20-25MPH like nothing had happened.

I did this for about .75 miles looking for a street to pull off of (while still in the middle lane!:eek:).

My first thought initially of this violent vibration was a ball joint abruptly dying because it kind of felt like a rotational vibration.

FYI/BTW; I having been under the rig yet because I'm still dealing with the death of my mom; FUCK CANCER!!! :mad3: :mad3: :frown: :frown:

Depends. When the (stock) motor mounts on my Grand Cherokee ZJ blow their cookies there is a huge vibration . . . but that's because a fan blade gets sheared off upon contacting the shroud. Happened twice.

Depends. When the (stock) motor mounts on my Grand Cherokee ZJ blow their cookies there is a huge vibration . . . but that's because a fan blade gets sheared off upon contacting the shroud. Happened twice.

Ah; tell-tale indicator.

I'll check the fan/shroud.

I've had a broken transfer case cause similar symptoms. All of the oil leaked out.

Broke a motor mount on the 83 Toyota, noticed the noise which was the fan hitting the shroud. Only did it in 1st and 2nd, 3-5 didn’t have enough torque to turn the engine into the fan.

i've also had them fail and be just a thump when you accelerate. nothing violent, just a thump or a few :laughing:

easy to check with a pry bar or a friend. even the starter should be enough to lift it up

Depends on wtf it is doesnt it.

But yeah pretty much.
when some fail the motor will pull over and full on hit the hood. Gm and other clam shells arent so bad and will just give a thump/thunk on/off throttle.

Top Back Refresh