What's new

Worm drive oil

SARR

Asshole
Member Number
I bought an old 5" horizontal band saw a few months back. Haven't used it much since I bought it. Decided to do some PM today around the garage. One of the things I found was that the worm drive is dry other than a thin coating of oil on the walls of the drive chamber. Old cork gasket on it that is dry and broken. Looks like it leaked many moons ago. Small amount of brass shavings in there, but both gears look pretty clean and they mesh well. I'm thinking fresh 90W gear oil and some Permatex will make it happy.
Any reason not to use it? Will I kill a busload of nuns that are driving through my garage on their way back to the Convent from feeding the homeless?

Attachments

• 20210507_150159.jpg
    20210507_150159.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 20210507_150207.jpg
    20210507_150207.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
This dude says GL4, which make sense....GL5 is known to kill brass and bronze bushings. Don't know that you'd notice in a saw, but for the few ounces you need, better to be safe.

Bgaidan beat me to it. I learned about oil that is bad for "yellow metal" when shopping for oil for my 404. You'll have to look around a bit, and maybe argue with the guy at the parts store because you're the pain in the ass guy that wants fancy oil that's not off the shelf.

Edit: What the hell, hey Austin , if you didn't know mogs took special gear (and transmission) oil, you heard it here first!

Found some at the Mom & Pop auto parts place. Thanks Guys.

This dude says GL4, which make sense....GL5 is known to kill brass and bronze bushings. Don't know that you'd notice in a saw, but for the few ounces you need, better to be safe.

Learnt something new today.:beer:

I'd just go with something like corn header grease
nlgi 000 or whatever you've got available

used to do the half and half 50wt motor oil and normal #2 grease but that's a pain in the ass

I just recently learned about corn head grease. You woulda thought I had known about it living on a farm my entire life... I need to start using it more now. I have an old troy-bilt tiller that likes to leak 90wt out of where the axles come out. I just rebuilt it a few years back so it shouldn't be leaking, but it is. Maybe I'll stuff some corn head grease in there...

Top Back Refresh