What's new

Workbench height?

Lawless

A turd in the herd
Member Number
Loc
Canuckistan
In the process of throwing together a new bench and am wondering about the height. I kinda thought 42" initially but I am afraid it might be a bit too high, fwiw I stand at 6'. Anyone who is on the taller side go with a taller bench? I can see some benefit as I won't be hunched over it but I wonder if it might present a different set of aches and pains on the old body.:rolleyes:

What's your bench sit at? This inquiring mind want's to know?

Will all depend on your leg/torso/arm length.

I'm 6'1". I have a 38 1/2" table surface.

I can stand and work without having to lean over and if I sit on a stool it's still perfect.

I have a couple of work surfaces, so I mixed it up a bit. Bench with toolboxes is 42" and nice for small detail projects. The welding table is at 36" so I can work on larger pieces, but sit on a stool for smaller jobs. The setup table is adjustable between 35" and 38". Variety is the spice of life right?

Forgot to mention: I'm 6'4"

Last edited:
1 at 6" below elbow height and 1 at a foot below .
give detail work a spot and the big stuff another.
I like a tall table.
Set yourself up so no bending over...
Ymmv

I have a couple of work surfaces, so I mixed it up a bit. Bench with toolboxes is 42" and nice for small detail projects. The welding table is at 36" so I can work on larger pieces, but sit on a stool for smaller jobs. The setup table is adjustable between 35" and 38". Variety is the spice of life right?

I've done the same. Also have vises at different heights for detailed file work with reading glasses and then lower for hammering.

Our acorn tables were at 30” and it was too low. I made 6” risers for the feet and it seems a bit too tall. Thinking about cutting 2” off to make it 34”

Im 6-2 and like taller benches. 3' and im always hunched over. 42-46 or im putting 6" casters on it.

I did build a 18" 4x8 fab table added big casters and used to it very happily with axles and stuff on jack stand but enjoyed to low hieght with a roller stool for large projects and quanity welding

Welding table is 35"
Workbench is 38"

I'm only 5'9" and these are comfortable heights. Welding a little lower because I often need to uh get on top of things...workbench a little higher to get things closer to eye height.

Make it adjustable with feet attached to telescopic legs attached to the legs that weld to the table top.

I went ahead with 42". Seems ok so far I figure I can shorten it easier than making it taller. GF comes out and tells me it's too tall for her:laughing: GF please I don't thing you have ever used a bench of mine ever.:laughing:

I'm just shy of 6 foot. my tables always seem to be near 40".

48" :flipoff2:

I am 6'4" and cant stand standard height counters and worktops. I am serious about 48" if you are tall and you are planning on standing while working on things.

Short people will bitch, but your back will feel so good you won't care :grinpimp:

Last edited:
I'm 5'10 but I tend to prefer a taller bench, my main bench is 43" and my smaller roll around table is 39. The only problem at that height for me is that my big vise (on the taller bench) is a bit high to get a good heavy downward shot with a hammer. When I rebuild that bench I'll probably drop it down to 38-39 like the other one.

My table frame is 4" tall and there's enough height under it for a 2-drawer filing cabinet sitting on 3" casters to roll in and out. I dunno how tall that makes, it, 30-something inches? It's a little tall for welding on top of big things in the bench vise but otherwise it's perfect.

Scissor lift FTW
I picked up a big scissor lift table at the auction yard, well its been a game changer. I'm adding a smaller one soon to move the salvage mill table to :grinpimp:
This might be something you chould consider.

IMG_20200602_174512_3.jpg

My "someday" project is to build a workbench on drop leg landing gear jacks. Will likely never happen.

im 5'7" and have my bench at 42". Good leaning height, and good for having stuff at eye level when working on it. I would build another at that height in a heartbeat.

But if if its something larger, it becomes too tall sometimes on the bench, and I end up putting it on sawhorses or something.

Top Back Refresh