What's new

Wireless Internet access

Pt_Ranger_v8

A dministrator
Member Number
Loc
flyover land
Long Range gurus step in here. This is specifically concerning my shot to my house from the transmitter.

The distance from the transmitter to my house is right at 5K' in a straight line. The biggest problem that I'm having is trees (that can't be cut down).

Currently have a 10' pole on top of my 1 story ranch house, looking at a 12' pole. I don't know if it'll be strong enough signal to be worth it, though.

What else can I do to improve reception performance? Just build a tower? The owner of my internet company expressed interest in hanging a repeater from a tower, if I build it - what would that cost me?

Cambian Networks PMP setup, from what I can see - they offer up to 100MB down, and no limits :smokin:

Any downsides, besides my damn trees?

Gotta go over the trees if you want any kind of decent signal. Our wisp sucked ass for years for connectivity and speed. They put up 199` towers as their main setup and everyone connects to. One of our neighbors managed to get them to put up a 60’ tower on his land and now we can connect to that instead. The wisp paid for putting up the tower, and in exchange he gets free internet. See if you can work a similar deal. If you have enough neighbors that are potential customers, they may do it.

Gotta go over the trees if you want any kind of decent signal. Our wisp sucked ass for years for connectivity and speed. They put up 199` towers as their main setup and everyone connects to. One of our neighbors managed to get them to put up a 60’ tower on his land and now we can connect to that instead. The wisp paid for putting up the tower, and in exchange he gets free internet. See if you can work a similar deal. If you have enough neighbors that are potential customers, they may do it.

Ok.
The little bit we talked, the guy made it sound like I would pay for the tower, but if I can get him to pay for it, even better :smokin:

Of course, it depends on the tower as well. I have no problem with an easement and access to a corner of my property. I'll give him a call.

You can put up a rohn 25 tower fairly cheap. It's about $110 per 10' section plus whatever it costs for a yard of concrete for the base.

You can go up to 60' with a house bracket without guy wires.

Even in Tornado alley?

I'm not sure the wife is onboard with a house bracket idea. :rolleyes: It'll be on the end of the house, and you won't really see it.

Ideally, they throw it in the corner of the yard, and I just get a shot to it from the house. IDC, I just want reliable, consistent FAST internet. :laughing:

Even in Tornado alley?

I'm not sure the wife is onboard with a house bracket idea. :rolleyes: It'll be on the end of the house, and you won't really see it.

Ideally, they throw it in the corner of the yard, and I just get a shot to it from the house. IDC, I just want reliable, consistent FAST internet. :laughing:

Just be aware that It’s going to need some sort of cable to your house. If it’s just for you it will be cat5e/6. If it’s for the neighborhood it will need 110v too.

My family has been in the radio business for over 40 years, and we have never seen a properly installed and maintained 60' rohn 25 tower fall other than in a direct tornado hit.

One of the most common installation mistakes that cause failure is improper drainage. The first section goes in a 3x3x3 hole with a yard of concrete poured around it. I set a couple concrete blocks on their sides in the bottom of the hole to set the tower section on with the ends of the tower legs sticking down into the blocks. Fill up the blocks with pea gravel for drainage and then pour the concrete. If the tower legs can't drain the rain and condensation will fill them up and they'll rust out from the inside.

Just be aware that It’s going to need some sort of cable to your house. If it’s just for you it will be cat5e/6. If it’s for the neighborhood it will need 110v too.

You can do solar power for most wisp gear. He'd just need a subscriber module pointed at the tower then.

You can do solar power for most wisp gear. He'd just need a subscriber module pointed at the tower then.

You could, but that’s a lot more hardware he has to buy. I was mainly talking about house mounted vs out in the yard. A lot easier if it’s house mounted.

You could, but that’s a lot more hardware he has to buy. I was mainly talking about house mounted vs out in the yard. A lot easier if it’s house mounted.

I'm ok with powering the thing, if it's not egregious. I'm hoping they go solar though :D.

I already have the module on my roof - if I can get that down to a small antenna on the side of my house, even better. :smokin:

I'll trench a cat 5 cable if I need to. I already have the media closet set up nicely. Ubiquiti hardware is next, when I stop spending money on the excursion

there's no solution other than line of sight.

work a deal where they install a tower and you get service and provide them power.
just attach it to the side of the house. you don't want to mow around guy wires.

and when they're full of ice and snow it will fucking suck.
kind of limited as well by what the isp is using.

So, the takeaway is...

Get them to put up a tower, that I power, for free internet?

How much power we talking?

Techs came out today and threw up a ~15' pole to replace the 10' pole, and my speed jumped to ~45Mb/s down - about a 40% jump. Right now, it's about ideal conditions outside, so we'll see what it does when the wind picks up. :laughing:

If it works out to be a reliable signal, we'll look into towers :smokin:

Top Back Refresh