What's new

Wire Loom

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
What kind of loom do I want to keep on hand?

General purpose wiring on an old truck.

What are the pros/cons to each kind?

I'm finding split and non-split in both woven and solid.

I feel like I should be using the non-split solid for big groups of wires (like 3/4 or 1 inch to cross the engine bay) and then transition to smaller woven split style.

Woven split style is easier to put on and make changes to, but doesn't look as good and depending on the routing, may require a bunch of cable ties to stay in place

On a related note, anyone have a good electrical tape the doesn't fall apart or turn gummy right away? What is the factory shit? Seems to hold up much better

Gaffers tape is awesome.

And I don't use any loom unless it's need for heat/abrasion/oil.

woven split is easy to work with but looks like crap after it wears and get dirty
woven non-split looks better and seem to hold up better but it a pia to use and fix/troubleshoot
plastic split is annoying and looks like ass

I run bare wire bundles and small zipties every 6-8" or so to retain them. If I feel like getting fancy I will attempt to lace the wires together.

This stuff is awesome so long as you plan everything out correctly. It will expand within reason to pass larger end fittings through and then can be stretched out so it fits tight. I’ve used it on my boat and Land Rover and love it. They make one that’s split but I haven’t used it.

As far as the split loom goes, I prefer this stuff over the solid plastic crap that fills up with water and mud and crushes.

Another thing I’ve found that works extremely well as a wire chase is the poly sprinkler tubing. Fits through a 3/4” hole perfectly, flexes, no fittings, and wires can be added very easily.

So when you guys use the Tesa's tape do you fully wrap the lines first and then put it in a nice split loom?
Personally, I use it all by itself in most applications. I hate plastic convoluted tube and only use it when there's no reasonable alternative as I've seen it rub through wires. Since I've started using that tesa tape, I will use it where necessary. Usually in places where there may be impacts.

On a related note, anyone have a good electrical tape the doesn't fall apart or turn gummy right away? What is the factory shit? Seems to hold up much better

Note the factory OEM black wrapper "tape" isn't really electrical tape. It is vinyl wrap without the adhesive-- they just have a machine that wraps it tight around wires when they make bundles. You can buy it. The adhesive in electrical tape goes gummy and is awful, it should not be used for anything in a car that is indented as a permanent installation.

As for loom: I don't keep any of the awful corrugated plastic stuff on hand-- it just splits and comes apart as it heat cycles. It leaves broken plastic crap everywhere except around your wires and is a PITA to get off and redo once that happens.

I use woven wrap split loom, mainly tech flex woven wraps. The tech flex stuff is springy and wraps back around the split naturally, coiling in on itself to fit the size wires that are in it.

It looks like ass to have the one wire you added later hanging outside the rest of the loom and zip tied to it... and it always happens when you add a light or some such later on. This way you just un-wrap around the split in the bundle-- stuff the wire in-- then let the loom re-tighten around the new wire and add a zip tie before and after the wire's insertion point into the loom. It is also easy to pop a wire back out of the loom if it needs to get to its destination point before the loom ends. Just add a zip tie before and after the wire splits off from the loom. As you add stuff, it still looks great-- like you always intended it to be that way. The main con to tech flex is price and limited availability. Some of their stuff is not engine compartment rated, so you have to look at the heat specs too.

Here's my delcity purchase, this stuff seems to be better quality than what you get at the autoparts store time will tell. I figured it lasted 30 years from now factory so...
Screenshot_20220331-202137_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

As for loom: I don't keep any of the awful corrugated plastic stuff on hand-- it just splits and comes apart as it heat cycles. It leaves broken plastic crap everywhere except around your wires and is a PITA to get off and redo once that happens.

I use woven wrap split loom, mainly tech flex woven wraps. The tech flex stuff is springy and wraps back around the split naturally, coiling in on itself to fit the size wires that are in it.

It looks like ass to have the one wire you added later hanging outside the rest of the loom and zip tied to it... and it always happens when you add a light or some such later on. This way you just un-wrap around the split in the bundle-- stuff the wire in-- then let the loom re-tighten around the new wire and add a zip tie before and after the wire's insertion point into the loom. It is also easy to pop a wire back out of the loom if it needs to get to its destination point before the loom ends. Just add a zip tie before and after the wire splits off from the loom. As you add stuff, it still looks great-- like you always intended it to be that way. The main con to tech flex is price and limited availability. Some of their stuff is not engine compartment rated, so you have to look at the heat specs too.
Whats your source?
I found some on Amazon but its pricey $30 - 25' and I want to make sure that is a good price for some quality stuff.

Whats your source?
I found some on Amazon but its pricey $30 - 25' and I want to make sure that is a good price for some quality stuff.

wirecare.com has the best selection and way high prices. Summit Racing and Jegs stock it more and more. Grainger has some of it if you have an account. I haven't had to buy in a couple years... sticker shock looking at today's prices on anything.

wirecare.com has the best selection and way high prices. Summit Racing and Jegs stock it more and more. Grainger has some of it if you have an account. I haven't had to buy in a couple years... sticker shock looking at today's prices on anything.
That's a good source and it's pretty easy to see the differences between styles.

X 2 on the Tessa Tape, it is lightyears ahead of crappy ass electrical tape.

I have had good luck with the split loom Power Braid from Painless. Comes in 3 or 4 different diameters. Not cheap but seems like it's worth it.

What do y’all keep in stock for wire?

I’m extending a wiring harness, and as it sits right now, it’s all going to be in red TXL.

Here's my delcity purchase, this stuff seems to be better quality than what you get at the autoparts store time will tell. I figured it lasted 30 years from now factory so...
Screenshot_20220331-202137_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
What website is this from? I'm looking to get something to protect the wires as well

What do y’all keep in stock for wire?

I’m extending a wiring harness, and as it sits right now, it’s all going to be in red TXL.
Black , gray, yellow, blue, brown

I bought a roll of red one time and everything I wired looked hack with red wire all over so I noticed oems don't use red like that so I haven't bought anymore.

I bought every color DelCity had for 16g TXL (or maybe GXL, I don't remember), then black, blue, red, and yellow in 12g, black and red in 10g, 8g, and 2g, and a few colors of 20g for low amp sensor wiring.

It hurt to pay for, but having quality wire on hand makes my projects so much easier. I also knew I'd be adding circuits while rewiring at least 2 full projects, so it'll be put to use.

Current rewire is getting the generic split loom, but that's also what it had from the factory in 84. I have some Amazon woven to try out on the next one.

Beware of CCA wire and avoid at all costs. Rewiring a dirt bike harness that I used that crap on a few years ago. Ended up killing an expensive lithium battery due to not charging
Learned something new today on that one. Thanks.:beer:

Top Back Refresh