What's new

Winters Shifter install...post install issues

Rugger99

Member Number
I decided to put in a console style shifter in the YJ. The trans is a 30RH, which after doing some research and talking to a couple of transmission folks, I was advised it is pretty much a newer version of a 904. After installing the Winters shifter (which is cable activated) my shift pattern became...well, weird. With the Jeep sitting on jack stands and the shifter in Park i attempted to start the Jeep...nothing. I played with the shifter and when it is in Reverse, the Jeep fired right up. After playing around, it looks like my pattern is now reversed from what the gates show. The shifter gates go P R N 3 2 1 and when shifting it appears that it is actually 1 2 3 N R P, which isn't a big deal as I can get new stickers for the gate plate on the shifter. Another thing I noticed is the shifter is not able to use all of the gates, I run out of cable movement. It goes from the Park position at the top and only will run through to the Neutral position and that is it. I can however, run through all of the gears in this short space. When I installed the cable, I had it roughly even in length (the part that slides thru the sleeve and actuates the shifting) between the base of the shifter and where it attaches to the transmission. Obviously I have screwed something up but the only thing I can think of is the cable needs to be fully extended one way or the other when it is installed. Any insight is greatly appreciated as I am pretty much a retard when it comes to transmissions.

Winters shows two shifters for the 904. One is a reverse pattern.

Capture.JPG

You can also play with length of the shift arm on the trans to hit all the detents. If the arm on the trans in pointing down, making it point up will reverse the pattern........keeping the cable coming in from the same direction.

Top Back Refresh