What's new

Winch on a gooseneck

ANGELO

Red Numb Skull
Member Number
Loc
BRADENTON FL
Picked up a bigtex 20+5 few days ago. The first thing I want on it is a winch, I'll never go back to not having one. On my bumper pull I mounted a tool box on the tongue and the winch inside.
I have a 8k warn I'll probably use or I'll buy a badlands.
So let's see some pictures of how you mounted yours

I know this is an older thread, but this could be some good info.
I'm about to build a removable winch for 2 of my dad's trailers that will be charged from the 7-way.
And I'm building one for my haul truck and trailer that will be permanent.
I'll post up once I start, but I'm still a couple months out.

I mount my winches to the bumpers of the trucks. Works for gooses and bumper pulls.

20200201_150850.jpg
20200419_170824.jpg

I'd mount it up near the top of the neck, way better for dragging junk up onto the deck.

Newb, my buddy swears by that as well. My plan is a receiver mount winch, then have a receiver mount on my trailers and an adapter for my gooseneck hitch in my bed.

total newb that is one of the options I'm considering for my haul truck. I'm building a flatbed for it and want it at the back, under the bed. Using a snatch block off a crossmember on my gooseneck.
The other option would be to have a hard mounted winch on the trailer with cable "disconnect" ends.
I like the winch built into the truck so I can use it for other purposes than just the trailer.

total newb that is one of the options I'm considering for my haul truck. I'm building a flatbed for it and want it at the back, under the bed. Using a snatch block off a crossmember on my gooseneck.
The other option would be to have a hard mounted winch on the trailer with cable "disconnect" ends.
I like the winch built into the truck so I can use it for other purposes than just the trailer.

Its how i loaded this. 2wd dodge had ruenels and winches at both ends. Got a lot of shit done.
553.jpeg

No pics, but I welded a hitch to the front plate of the GN deck. My 8274 is on a removable plate so I can move it between vehicles. (It’s heavy, so I don’t move it much). I have a quick connect for electrical on the winch, and jumper cable ends on the other side. The advantage to this setup is that anyone that uses the trailer can use the winch. The disadvantage is that anyone can use the winch with the trailer.
I have multiple rigs that I use the trailer with (depending on what I’m hauling), so having the winch available with the trailer is better for me. Having it removable allows full use of the deck.

I mount my winches to the bumpers of the trucks. Works for gooses and bumper pulls.
Also works great for dragging stuff onto a liftgate. The fleet had a truck like that back when I was in college.

The 16GN I co-own with a buddy needed a winch. Decided that its rude to leave a nice winch out in the weather to rot like my other gooseneck has on it, and also being able to use it on other trucks for other things (my Bobcat even has a receiver and leads on the back of it incase it gets stuck) so decided to throw together this mount. The co-owner also wanted to try out his new Miller Multimatic so he welded it all up; I just made the parts and designed it overall. Decided to have it down low vs up high and have a set of pipe rollers and aluminum pipe segment in the toolbox so it can be set on the deck where wanted. Also have a pair of anchors and pulleys for the stake pockets to deviate a single line pull around stuff already on the deck down the side of the deck and back around to the center.

20211205_120341.jpg
20211205_120353.jpg

Decided to have it down low vs up high
Why limit yourself?

Weld receiver's everywhere! Top of gooseneck, end of gooseneck deck, both sides of trailer, etc. Sometimes it's super-handy to be able to winch the trailer sideways dragging the tires to get turned around when you find yourself in a jackpot.

There's a lot more stuff can fit in the receivers than just winches. Tongue jacks on a 2x2 tubing stud, drawbar to pull doubles, vices and other tooling,

Why limit yourself?

Weld receiver's everywhere! Top of gooseneck, end of gooseneck deck, both sides of trailer, etc. Sometimes it's super-handy to be able to winch the trailer sideways dragging the tires to get turned around when you find yourself in a jackpot.

There's a lot more stuff can fit in the receivers than just winches. Tongue jacks on a 2x2 tubing stud, drawbar to pull doubles, vices and other tooling,

Thats an easy fix on this trailer then... will just make a receiver tube with an adapter that drops into a stake pocket and pins so it doesn't pull out. Heck, could get real fancy and put it on a spindle or stacked flange bearings that way the winch always points towards the anchor. Might daydream on that idea some.

The 16GN I co-own with a buddy needed a winch. Decided that its rude to leave a nice winch out in the weather to rot like my other gooseneck has on it, and also being able to use it on other trucks for other things (my Bobcat even has a receiver and leads on the back of it incase it gets stuck) so decided to throw together this mount. The co-owner also wanted to try out his new Miller Multimatic so he welded it all up; I just made the parts and designed it overall. Decided to have it down low vs up high and have a set of pipe rollers and aluminum pipe segment in the toolbox so it can be set on the deck where wanted. Also have a pair of anchors and pulleys for the stake pockets to deviate a single line pull around stuff already on the deck down the side of the deck and back around to the center.

20211205_120341.jpg
20211205_120353.jpg
MIne is similar to this, although I moved mine back a tad in order to keep every inch of trailer deck clean. I leave my trailer exposed to the elements year round, so it's easier to leave the winch in the shop/garage, when not needed. The vast majority of the time, the trailer is used to haul the jeep, so, the jeep has it's own winch. It's only when I have to play rescue ranger that the winch goes back on.

Winch currently in use is a Warn 3500 pound utility winch. Works great for anything that rolls. Works ok for stuff that has to slide, only because it's a steel decked trailer, so stuff slides pretty easy. About the only downside is the lack of cable, as it's maybe 40 or 50 foot of cable.

Current trailer has a battery over hydraulic tilt system, so I've always got a fully charged deep cell battery with me, and I use the Warn quick connect cables for power supply.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Top Back Refresh