What's new

Winch comparison for lighter vehicles.

wrath

Member Number
I'm looking for a fairly lightweight winch that moves fairly fast with no load. I keep coming back to an 8274 but I feel like they're kind of heavy.

YJ 2.5L, AX5, NP231, D30, D35 with a minitruss, softop, no rear seat. It has 30 spline ARBs front and rear and 4340/1541H, 4.88s, TJ rear disc brakes, 33" rubber. It has the Teraflex 2low kit in the NP231 I use a lot. It's pretty light, right around 2850 without me in it and dependent on how much gas is in it... and if I have two batteries.

I mostly use this around the yard. I use it for felling trees a lot, moving stuff around, and getting tractors unstuck. I also use it to get ice cream and flat tow behind the motorhome. It rarely gets "wheeled" anymore. I have had it stuck bad in the swamp a couple times that made my 10k winch whimper on even the last wrap.

I have an Axon55 on the back, which gets used often when my eyes are bigger than the Jeep. Nice and light as well as compact, wish it held a little more rope but that's OK.

I have tried my old Milemarker E12000 from like 20 years ago. It's way too slow but impossible to stall. I have an old M6000 that works great but doesn't have quite enough snot for the mud unless I spool all the cable out. I currently have a Warn VR Evo 10 with the wireless remote on it. It is faster that the Milemarker E12000, but still slower than the M6000. It's no spring chicken either.

The light/no load line speed gives you a lot of comfort when making firewood. I need wireless or easy to add an extension cord for a wired remote.

I was looking at the Zeon 10 Platinum and the 8274S. The Zeon looks good on paper, but I'm thinking the 8274 will last me a lifetime and the Zeon might not outlast my antique Milemarker. Looks like the 8274 might be 20lbs heavier though? I hate to spend ~$3k and not be happy. It's a YJ after all.

Comparisons I've been making are from here:

Did the o.p. just post a study in futility?
Fast light and +12k rating:laughing:

Ok that should wake the peanut gallery.....

Actually, it has been a study in futility! I'm sure I'm not the first smoothbrain to do it.

My use-case is weird. I want it to be fast for pulling trees to ensure they go the right direction... but if it's near max load I don't care if it is 3fpm.

It doesn't need to be super fast, it just can't be glacial like my VR EVO 10. A normal 8274 is plenty fast for me.

An honest 10k is plenty. Even if it is slower than molasses.

I keep looking at the Zeon Platinum 10k. It's pretty quick. Not 8274 quick, but probably quick enough? Looks like it's about 20lbs lighter than a 8274, plus uses a standard mount which saves weight.

I feel like any 8274 is going to outlast me. But what about a Zeon?

I went down the rabbit hole of looking at "custom" winches and it's a deep one. I could get a Red Winch but then someone would probably cut the front off my YJ to steal the winch.

Aren't 8274's rated @8k?
In Today's market, for your needs someone has to make it...
But fast ,light, strong, ect.
I dunno
Btw, I'm running an 8274 from 83.

Are 8274 really that heavy compared to other normal winches? Or just really awkward to mount.

My experience, is the size and mounting is difficult for performance, but appealing for retro vehicles.

Modern 8274 are good for 10k:

I had a 8274 a long time ago and it made my MileMarker E12000 on a 2" receiver plate feel like a feather. However, all winches have gotten porkier it seems like, or I'm getting more elderly than I thought... the fiber rope just hides it. Looks like an 8274 with 150' of synthetic is about 100lbs. Zeon 10k Platinum is in the 80s as far as I can tell but I don't have one to measure.

Jeep is already heavy in the front so every pound matters in front of the front axle.

You can find all sorts of crazy stuff if you want to spend a fortune.

Reactions: Clb
There was a story on here where someone cut the drum down a few inches on a winch, that would save weight.

Top Back Refresh