What's new

Willys 2a 4L60E budget renovation basic tools

anyone got a good way to measure caster when reinstalling Cs on D44?
I have used digital level on flat of lower ball joint stud surface but wondering how others do it.
Camber - anyone have a method to measure when setting C's on tubes?
Will have housing tacked to bench with pinon at desired angle, heat Cs on grill to 250 ish and setting on with weld gloves and a little tap tap.

Progress
Mounted rear leaf front fixed hangers. Made hangers with rounded ends and a bit oblong to have adjust ability to get rear shackle at desired angle. used 3/16 plate tacked to pipe, heated and bent. Did some more frankenstein boxing of frame and frenched in by drilling 3 inch hole saw holes 1 inch apart. Mounted at 42.5 eye to eye, did not like rear shackle angle so redrilled 1.25 back for 41.25 eye to eye. shackle angle with one leaf is 25* no load, 65 degrees when leaf flat. Will see how it is once loaded. Using same BDS YJ 2 or 2.5 inch lift springs that been using for 10 years. will be spring under again.
Do you think i need to plate the frame where frenched? Was thinking adding 1/8 to each side but.....

cleaned up the leafs and did a little diagnol end cut chamfering to help allow more twist. Read an article from Deaver Spring years ago to do this.

Began front axle conversion from psgr to driver diff. Was thinking making a metal puller jig to pull Cs but thought heck a chain worked fine. DId this converison before on a D30 for my Commando using pinion center line as reference and cut long tube to short length. Been working godd for 8 years so far. on highway and wheeling. On this one i am considering shortening short side for better d shaft and crankshaft pulley clearance. Gotta mock up axle, engine, trans tcase to ensure front d shaft will clear. will need to make spring perch along side and maybe nothced into diff housing a bit. Any suggestions?

oh yeah. Married the frame back together. Added 10 inches and widened rear section 7 inches. got it pretty close. best i can tell is 1/2 twist in 12 feet. left front of frame to right rear. which i do not think is too bad for an ole 46 frame that there is hardly a place on it that it measures consistently from side to side or front to rear. Oh and it is 1/4 inch longer on one side verse other - Perfect! pics of the fun. pic of heep before started.
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1471.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG

Top Back Refresh