What's new

Will I regret this cam choice?

Will12785

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Syracuse, NY
Rebuilding a 460 in one of my trucks. I want to throw some budget power at it. I'm having the heads (D3ve's) freshened up and going to throw a little better than stock cam in it. I have an old 8012 that will top it off too.

Will I regret saving 60 bucks amd 3 weeks time going with the cheaper of these 2?

Screenshot_20220605-140156_DuckDuckGo.jpg

For a "lil bit over stock" no. Youll be fine.

You expecting to be a real tire killer? More is always better.

I honestly doubt you'd be able to tell much of a difference between those 2 cams. Maybe a little better bottom end on the XE cam but IMHO not worth a 3 week wait and the extra money.

A symmetrical cam is a terrible choice in a 460. Even factory cam had +14 on exhaust.

The 218/226 is the better of the two, but still doesn't have enough split. D3 heads are already restricted on exhaust, so the split is even more critical when un-ported.

What is application? 2wd truck or a big heavy 4x4 on big tires? Trans? gearing? If heavy truck 218 intake is still a bit much. HP peak will be above 5500 and your heads wont support it.

I run a custom 213/227 with ported D3s. 525 tq at 3400. pulls hard off converter at 2300 rpm (spins 40s with c6 4.10 gears). a 218* would have a hole in power band at bottom in my application.

Last edited:
As far as the lead time, you would probably be best served calling the manufacturer. I've found that when Summit is drop shipping they really have no idea what the real lead time is and will usually way over estimate so that they don't lie. I wanted a fuel tank that Summit said was two months out. I called the manufacturer and they were making a run that day. I had the tank 3 days later.

A symmetrical cam is a terrible choice in a 460. Even factory cam had +14 on exhaust.

The 218/226 is the better of the two, but still doesn't have enough split. D3 heads are already restricted on exhaust, so the split is even more critical when un-ported.

What is application? 2wd truck or a big heavy 4x4 on big tires? Trans? gearing? If heavy truck 218 intake is still a bit much. HP peak will be above 5500 and your heads wont support it.

I run a custom 213/227 with ported D3s. 525 tq at 3400. pulls hard off converter at 2300 rpm (spins 40s with c6 4.10 gears). a 218* would have a hole in power band at bottom in my application.
Truck is a 1 ton 4x4 running 40" tires. 4 speed, crawl box, np205. D3 heads.

Top Back Refresh