What's new

Will I hate re-gearing to 5.29?

DirtRoads

Uninformed
Member Number
Loc
Memphis 10
Looking at placing an order in the next week or two and am just trying to make sure that I'm headed in the right direction. This is in a Samurai that is primarily a Southeast park wheeler, but I also have the intention of keeping it somewhat highway capable for UA style trips and as a contingency when traveling with other non trailered rigs. Currently it doesn't crawl for shit with no low end torque, and 5th gear is only a best case scenario

Current situation:
-1.6 16v
-6.5:1 tcase
-37's.

According to the gear calculator, I am 97:2 low range, 3291 RPM at 65

4.88:1 ---> 115:1 low range, 3918 RPM at 65

5.29 --> 125:1 low range, 4247 RPM at 65

From what I'm looking at, I can't really see why another 3-400 RPM is going to make this engine blow up any faster than its eventful past. In fact, every bit of help that I can throw at this tiny engine/tcase is probably worth going with (especially if those supercharger plans ever work themselves out).

Next question:

The two vendors for a 27 spline 5.29 4cyl 8" ring and pinion seem to be Revolution Gear or Trail Gear. Both are priced pretty similarly. Is there a major red flag with either besides China?

I can step up to a 29 spline Nitro gearset, but then I have to buy another $200 worth of 29 spline flanges, and that's kind of annoying.

Last edited:
To answer the initial question...

No, you wont regret 5.29s with a hamster (22re would at least be squirrels) engine.

It doesnt crawl worth a shit and 5th is a suggestion, what's there to lose?

6.5’s and 4.10’s are same as 6.32:1 axle gears

6.5’s and 5.29’s are same as 8.35:1.

I’ve ran a 4.9 case and 5.12’s with no overdrive and 30” tires which is same as 7.73:1 axle gears and it was just right. 4,000 is where my little 16V seems to have the balls to move the car and doesn’t seem to phase it.

Can you actually do 65 anyway? :flipoff2:

The only thing I could say is try to scrape up a cheap used 3rd in either ratio and run it down the highway. :confused:

Could always switch to a 6.4 gear too, same crawl, but a tiny bit higher high.

Can you actually do 65 anyway? :flipoff2:

The only thing I could say is try to scrape up a cheap used 3rd in either ratio and run it down the highway. :confused:

Could always switch to a 6.4 gear too, same crawl, but a tiny bit higher high.
Believe it or not, it will actually do it if it is dead flat with no headwind in 5th. In 4th it's no biggie.

Answer achieved. Thanks :laughing:::laughing:

Believe it or not, it will actually do it if it is dead flat with no headwind in 5th. In 4th it's no biggie.

Answer achieved. Thanks :laughing:::laughing:

Which trans do you have? There's 2 different OD's.

It actually will probably work out, that 5th/5.29s is going to be pretty damn close to 4th/4.10s.

Which trans do you have? There's 2 different OD's.
It should be the earlier one if it didn't get swapped at some point in its life. I've never really investigated any farther.

I had to buy a new shift tower for it a long long time ago, and I think they are different early vs late. I remember having to modify the little shifter bolt to get it to fit into my shifter, but that was probably because I ordered the wrong one or something

It should be the earlier one if it didn't get swapped at some point in its life. I've never really investigated any farther.

I had to buy a new shift tower for it a long long time ago, and I think they are different early vs late. I remember having to modify the little shifter bolt to get it to fit into my shifter, but that was probably because I ordered the wrong one or something

5.29x0.795=4.20. So if you're fine driving 65 in 4th now, that's what 5th will be like 👍

I ran 5.29s, 6.5s, on 35s at 0psi

It was awesome. perfect setup. but the rig never saw speeds above...7. so cannot confirm with road use.

I ran 5.29s, 6.5s, on 35s at 0psi

It was awesome. perfect setup. but the rig never saw speeds above...7. so cannot confirm with road use.
I've driven a few off road with similar gearing, but the road is where I was having trouble confirming.

It's not going to be perfect either way but i plan to err on the side of diggin :laughing:

If its to slow, put 39s on it pussy:flipoff2:
9046894F-0482-4E1F-BE9F-3D7C6F38E0E1.gif

I drove my 1.6 16v sami with 5.38, 4.9's and 33's all over the place including a 200 mile road trip or 12. The little zuk motors love to spin, high RPM is their happy place.

I drove my 1.6 16v sami with 5.38, 4.9's and 33's all over the place including a 200 mile road trip or 12. The little zuk motors love to spin, high RPM is their happy place.

What's the high range on 4.9s? The 6.5s is 20% over stock, which works out to 1.7:1 iirc.

Doesn't sound like a huge jump from 14% or whatever, but it's compounded by the axle gears.

But, with 33s, you were probably still spinning more rpms than he will be :laughing:

What's the high range on 4.9s? The 6.5s is 20% over stock, which works out to 1.7:1 iirc.

Doesn't sound like a huge jump from 14% or whatever, but it's compounded by the axle gears.

But, with 33s, you were probably still spinning more rpms than he will be :laughing:
It's been about 20 years since i had that setup but I think I remember doing the math and it being around 7.20. But with the smaller tire probably not far off. It would cruise 70 or so pretty happily but it was buzzing for sure. All sorts of shit would come loose on long trips. It would do wheelies from a dead stop, lol.

Edit: Went and looked and 4.89 GRSII was what I was running, they were 1.66 in high. Looks like about 5100rpm at 70. You could tell it was turning some RPM but it never seemed unhappy doing it. I drove that rig from the seattle area to moses lake several times, which goggle says is 177 miles. 33x10.50 bfg's for the first couple trips and then switched to 34x10.50 LTB's

Last edited:

This is what roadless gear has to say. Don’t talk to me in percent, that’s some engineering drawing board bullshit.

Stock
2.268 low 1.409 high

4.16 low 1.58 high

4.9 low 1.63 high

6.5 low 1.69 high

Edit: I know there’s more options but those pricks don’t list the actual high range ratio. Just a meaningless percentage of change.

My suggestion would be to figure out the rpm, you will be at, whatever speed you like to cruise on the highway. Then take it out now and drive it at that rpm in fourth. Does it feel like it’s screeming? Could you imagine driving like that for 3hours? If so, go for it.

This is what roadless gear has to say. Don’t talk to me in percent, that’s some engineering drawing board bullshit.

Stock
2.268 low 1.409 high

4.16 low 1.58 high

4.9 low 1.63 high

6.5 low 1.69 high

Edit: I know there’s more options but those pricks don’t list the actual high range ratio. Just a meaningless percentage of change.

Its like they think that us peasants won't understand ratios, even though every other aftermarket gear for a transfer case or axle is done in ratios. Stupid SxS aftermarket stuff is percent also, fucking dumb.

Obviously, if you can remember the stock high, it's easy to do the math. 1.409x20%(1.2)=1.69. But ain't no body got tym for dat

At 65 I'm pushing 4500 rpm with 5.29s and 6.4 gears on 35s.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable spinning the 1.3 that fast for extended periods of time, but from what I've read on the ol Facespace people run them like that without issues.

Go big, you won't regret it, unless the hamster shits the bed at 4 grand...
now the drivetrain stress????
oh and
F
U
C
K
T F
R A
A I
I L
L
G
E
A
R

5.29 gears went in over the weekend. As the math indicates, 4th became 5th and I now have a lower 1st. A loud 4300rpm at 65, but I'll take it. In low range this thing does exactly what it needs to do.
I laughing now that when I replied earlier in this thread I didn't even realize that I was referring to your/my actual motor in my description of the setup with 5.38s. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

The saga continues...

The ol' girl loves RPM like a fat kid loves cake.

I laughing now that when I replied earlier in this thread I didn't even realize that I was referring to your/my actual motor in my description of the setup with 5.38s. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

The saga continues...

The ol' girl loves RPM like a fat kid loves cake.
She’s not going anywhere anytime soon. At least not until I remove the trans and tcase also for a 3rz with duals or something.

I have a head at the machine shop now getting reworked. I’m going to tear it down and throw rings and a few scotch brite pads at it in the near future, otherwise it’s rocking and rolling

5.29 gears went in over the weekend. As the math indicates, 4th became 5th and I now have a lower 1st. A loud 4300rpm at 65, but I'll take it. In low range this thing does exactly what it needs.

Have you tried pumping the tires up to increase the diameter? :flipoff2:

Sounds like you're all set up for 38-39s when those wear out.

Doubt you’ll hate it. I’m on 4.10s with 6.5 and 36” and it’s barely crawlable. It works and I certainly make due, but 5.29 would be mint. I’m a trailer queen tho. But I will say, it seems to love high r’s. I don’t have a tach, but I’ve probably floated the valves on several occasions.

Doubt you’ll hate it. I’m on 4.10s with 6.5 and 36” and it’s barely crawlable. It works and I certainly make due, but 5.29 would be mint. I’m a trailer queen tho. But I will say, it seems to love high r’s. I don’t have a tach, but I’ve probably floated the valves on several occasions.

1.3?

Top Back Refresh