What's new

Will a Rear Detroit unlock during a Front Dig?

truckin222

Highway Miles
Member Number
Title pretty much says it.

Will a Rear Detroit (or other auto locker) unlock during a front dig? with brakes applied?

My last axles I had Detroits F&R but no dig capability.

Now on 60's welded and have twin stick 205.
I'm long @ 120" WB...
I'm building a rear 70 and found a cheap ($300) Detroit and would go for it if it'll unlock and make digs work better.

Selectables are out of the budget so it'll be welded or Detroit for the time being.

It's probably easier to turn sharp when the pivot wheel is allowed to spin freely and not drag the other wheel with it.

I'm sure it would turn tighter if the wheels could turn at different speeds.
I also think it'll make shifting out of rear drive in my 205 easier as the rear is always feeling bound up from being welded.

It's probably easier to turn sharp when the pivot wheel is allowed to spin freely and not drag the other wheel with it.
There are times when you lock down one rear wheel, turn away from it, and front dig, and the inside rear freewheels backwards. Most of the time, you'd lock the inside rear and the outer will freewheel past as you spin, but there's a lot of "it depends" in there.

Welded rear will make some digs harder, but will rarely make a dig easier.

Digging uphill is usually easiest with an open rear, turn into the dig, drag the inside rear tire, and let the outside rear help push the car the way the front end is trying to take it.

Edit: Sorry, if cutting brakes aren't on the table here, just service brakes and two-footed power-through is the route to a front dig, Detroit or welded (or open) isn't going to make a ton of difference in how it digs, the brakes are going to be more-overpowering than whatever the diff is doing.

Don't think it matters. Either way it's dragging the rear end, it's not like an open diff with cutting brakes. Buddy with a Twisted truck and welded rear D70, Front Digs just fine.

If that's your rig in your sig, it's setup the same as mine. Where the rear is alot lighter than the front. I lock up both tires all the time because the front just pulls the rear with it if I dont.

Yes that"s my Junk in the pic. And my awesome 7 yo...
60/40 weight bias to the front at least.
Currently i'll just hold the brakes and 2 foot it like Scott described, and it works but if I thought a Detroit would be a significant improvement I'd go that route.
But I can certainly find somewhere else to spend the money if it won't help much/at all...

Top Back Refresh