What's new

Wifi routers

Wouldn't by a router with bundled WiFi, more times then not the WiFi in them fails. I would go with a dedicated access point actually, which will then open you to the world of much better routers out there. For myself, I used Ubiquiti, but there are many out there.

I don't know shit from Shinola regarding electronics.

So how would I use that Linksys router; unplug the router I got from my provider / just plug Linksys router in / BAM! / profit? :confused:

You need a modem. Your internet signal plugs into the modem (use a Motorola surfboard), then the output of the modem goes to the router.

Profit.

If you do change up your modem and router, you will have to call your ISP and get them to acknowledge the changes on their end. Your MAC address is linked to a single device.

Most shitty little internet boxes from the ISP can be put in bridged mode, bypassing their routing and wifi and crap. Then plug it into your router.

Separate access points are better than those shitty little all in one boxes. I use a Ubiquiti Unifi Gateway + two Access Points + POE Switch...my up time is 428 days right now, yes, over a year without having to reboot or any issues.

Residential routers all suck, even the expensive ones. I've never had one last more than about a year and a half . Made the change to Ubiquiti (EdgeRouter X + access point specifically) 2 years ago and it has been flawless. The only downside is that basic networking skills, while not required, are a bonus. They are not as plug and play as most residential routers, but there are plenty of YouTube videos to get you past the learning curve.

So this thing?

Screenshot_20200920-094204_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This is what I'm finding out. I didnt know about stand alone wifi units.:homer: How long do they last?

I'm going on three years for mine at the moment, with no issues. But I know others who have had them for six plus years. I'm sure there are people out there who have had issues with them in a shorter period of time, but no brand is perfect.

You guys must have shit luck with routers. I've got an Asus RT-N66U that's God knows how old and still runs fine but was replaced for general use about 2 years ago by a Netgear R7800 again no issues with that either. I do run custom firmware on both whether that helps with longevity I don't know.

I have a Netgear WNDR4000 that I got when it released in Feb. 2011 and I have had zero problems out of it. Before that I used Linksys, but they went to shit after they got sold to Belkin. Before that, the only reliable router I had was a D-link, but that was back in the '90s. If I have to buy another anytime soon, it will be another Netgear.

You guys must have shit luck with routers. I've got an Asus RT-N66U that's God knows how old and still runs fine but was replaced for general use about 2 years ago by a Netgear R7800 again no issues with that either. I do run custom firmware on both whether that helps with longevity I don't know.

In any hardware, some people have great luck while others not. This is whether the brand is respected or not.

As for custom firmware, that does not make anything really last longer. However, most people are not going to learn how to flash custom firmware as they just want something that is easy to setup so they can forget about it.

To give some background, I've run a Verison FIOS WiFi router for 5 years without issue. But this was at a newly built small apartment where WiFi range was not crucial nor affected. Now that I have an older home where WiFI can be an issue through the walls, I went with a dedicated access point placed centrally as they give better range through a myriad of materials compared to built in router access points. With my current setup, I can be on the rear deck and still get great WiFi access.

Anyway, Boss, that is the one I have myself. However if you have a lot of WiFi gear on your network, you might want to consider the UniFi HD, part number UAP-AC-HD, as it can handle the throughput better. Good luck... 😉

I've purchased 6-7 of the Asus RT68U wifi routers, 2 at my house (one as an AP), and the rest at family members houses. All have Motorola Surfboards modems. Since I'm the family IT guy, all calls have stopped regarding internet issues. All of the modems and routers have been in place and running for at least 5 years with no issues ever. I did have to reboot my main router once about 2 years ago.

I've tried resetting this thing f******* 4 times. Finally got it working long enough to do a firmware upgrade. Will see what happens.

Firmware upgrade seems to have worked....Is this common? WTF , Wonder how come how come I wasn't notified? :homer: This things has worked flawless until this BS

Gotta keep the firmware updated. Evrey time my nighthawk starts being a bitch, I update the firmware and it works again. I tell my self I'm going to schedule a reminder in my phone every quarter to check the firmware, then I get distracted and dont do it.

Most shitty little internet boxes from the ISP can be put in bridged mode, bypassing their routing and wifi and crap. Then plug it into your router.

Separate access points are better than those shitty little all in one boxes. I use a Ubiquiti Unifi Gateway + two Access Points + POE Switch...my up time is 428 days right now, yes, over a year without having to reboot or any issues.

this.
I have an edge router and ruckus APs.

the only time they get rebooted is when the power goes out.
occasionally I login and do firmware updates.

this.
I have an edge router and ruckus APs.

the only time they get rebooted is when the power goes out.
occasionally I login and do firmware updates.

UPS on my network rack, short outages which are rare here to begin with don't even phase me. Heck, I've done work on the electrical systems in my house and for the half hour the panel is off, just run on battery. With such low draw, even a small UPS gets me tons of time.

Gotta keep the firmware updated. Evrey time my nighthawk starts being a bitch, I update the firmware and it works again. I tell my self I'm going to schedule a reminder in my phone every quarter to check the firmware, then I get distracted and dont do it.

Yeah, I need to do that too i guess. This thing has worked flawlessly until yesterday. Never even dawned on me to check the firmware. I just happened to log into the router after about the 4th reset and saw the little red update. It stayed up long enough to run it and hasn't crashed yet.

This may have been what was wrong with my last router lol . It was the cheaper linksys. It would stop working but come back after I ran windows trouble shooter.

I'm in this hunt right now for a better wifi setup then I have now.

They all suck.

My ISP provides a "free" surfboard and tp-link router. They were tired of troubleshooting people's old shit that was dead. They figured it was cheaper to provide the equipment than the tech support.

When that crap dies I'll go back to Netgear. I have an N600 that's been working for 10 years now.

I have the old wrt54g also. It gets used as the emergency backup whenever a family member needs one. Thing will never die.

Also, are you on cable or fiber? Our ISP started running just a cat 6 into the house with their fiber setup so no need for a modem.

They all suck.

My ISP provides a "free" surfboard and tp-link router. They were tired of troubleshooting people's old shit that was dead. They figured it was cheaper to provide the equipment than the tech support.

When that crap dies I'll go back to Netgear. I have an N600 that's been working for 10 years now.

I have the old wrt54g also. It gets used as the emergency backup whenever a family member needs one. Thing will never die.

Also, are you on cable or fiber? Our ISP started running just a cat 6 into the house with their fiber setup so no need for a modem.

You forgot to quote who you're talking to lol,.... I myself have cable. Turns out my tp-link just needed an update.

Other than my dumb ass not checking for updates this thing has worked flawless. Once I updated its been working fine.

My complaint would be the notification process. Who the fuck logs onto their router wifi to check. Not me lol

You forgot to quote who you're talking to lol,.... I myself have cable. Turns out my tp-link just needed an update.

Other than my dumb ass not checking for updates this thing has worked flawless. Once I updated its been working fine.

My complaint would be the notification process. Who the fuck logs onto their router wifi to check. Not me lol

So now I need to quote the OP to answer a question asked by the OP? :flipoff2:

I did get a dead netgear the other day. My sister had it sitting on top of a VoIP modem that has passive cooling and was probably 130*. Cooked it good. Damn thing wouldn't even come apart the plastics were so cooked they crumbled. It still lasted 3 years with that heat, so I'd call that a win.

Surfboard modem for the last 6-7 years and a Netgear N7000 that's probably 5 years old. Mine seem to last around 5 years.

Ubiquiti, hands down. I run it everywhere except in the shop wifi, which gets a dd-wrt'd Linksys wrt54G POS because I had it laying around. I even put Ubiquiti gear in my motorhome.

We used to have Ubiquiti in my corporate office, but we recently changed to the Deco M9 system from Costco of all places. The Deco is the most reliable system we've found for a mesh network, plus its fast AF.

I have a MOFI. Reliable as can be and since it's not the average dumbed down playskool interface on the consumer grade units, you can control everything in it.

Top Back Refresh