What's new

Wife bought an air fryer

i use mine far more than my oven, pretty much the only time i use the oven is if it wont fit. mine is also a regular oven but i pretty much only use turbo mode(air fryer)

Anything frozen comes out perfect. We use ours every day.

They make kick ass tater tots, I don't like the way it cooks wings.

I think the gimmick is the term air fryer. It's an electric convection oven.

this.
bought ours. use the shit out of it.
Think it would be better to buy an electric convection toaster oven for increased versatility.

but yeah, we use it 3-4 times a week for dinner, and randomly for other things.

The funny thing for me is I bought a like new electric convection toaster oven with a rotisserie at a Goodwill for 10 bucks for me at work where I have a little office to myself and have been using it often for tater tots and hashbrowns and toasted sandwiches and frozen eggrolls, etc. I didn't want to stick another thing in our kitchen at home.

My wife has been using them for a couple of years, uses it almost every day, and really likes them. They work really good - cook pretty evenly and fast.

I don't remember what brand her first one was but now she's using this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Vorte...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The only thing I don't like about it is that its a little noisy - sounds like a small turbine engine in the kitchen. :laughing:

Last edited:
I bought one two months ago and haven't used my oven since. Using the same recipes I've always used for stuff, but googling for times/temps in the air fryer.

Did some green beans with a little bacon and added some parm cheese when they were done before throwing some seasoned salmon in tonight. Quesadillas are stupid easy and quick in them without any need to clean up after. Ribs, pork loin, pretty much any veggies.

Only thing I haven't really liked in it so far is steak due to how it cooks, but even when I've overcooked steaks they've been great compared to overcooking on a grill, pan, ect. I'm also super picky about steak and basically only sear them at very high temps so they stay blue rare while having the fat melt internally.

Has anyone used the Instant Pot air fryer lid? I already have the Instant Pot and love the thing.

Wife got one a few weeks ago. It's pretty awesome for small amounts of food. We've made fried corn, breaded chicken breast, frozen pre-made chicken cordon bleu, and egg rolls. The egg rolls were the only thing that came out a bit meh. Overall we like it so far, but it takes up a lot of room.

Only thing I haven't really liked in it so far is steak due to how it cooks, but even when I've overcooked steaks they've been great compared to overcooking on a grill, pan, ect. I'm also super picky about steak and basically only sear them at very high temps so they stay blue rare while having the fat melt internally.

steaks belong on a bbq or in a cast iron pan :flipoff2:

I use mine for frozen Costco wings. Delicious. it’s like Buffalo Wild Wings only 8 bucks rather than 30

oil and salt on jumbo russets, 35 minutes to perfect baked potatoes.

I have the NuWave in the house and the Instant "oven" in the RV. its perfect for not having to heat up the camper with the propane oven.

It would be nice if you posted pics and tell us what brand, is it the Ronco one? That one looks nice. Or is it the $69 one?

I am skeptical because in the end, these are 110v, 12A, and that's only 1500 watts. Hard to believe 1500 watts is getting shit done, I use my oven as a broiler and searing device sometimes, crank that shit up past 500 and I get fantastic homemade pizzas out of it. I can't believe that a countertop-plug in device has the power to scorch my crusts and get that carmelization I like on a Detroit style pizza (the only pizza worth eating btw).

Die in hell. Please. :lmao:

Last edited:
oil and salt on jumbo russets, 35 minutes to perfect baked potatoes.

I have the NuWave in the house and the Instant "oven" in the RV. its perfect for not having to heat up the camper with the propane oven.

We did loaded baked taters out the fryer.
Yeah, pretty damn tasty!

didnt read whole thread.
wifes grandparents have an air fryer. only seen it used fer thanksgiving turkey and it turned out pretty good. but ill stick to frying my turkey in a pot of boiling oil.

RUGER

My parents bought one a couple months ago and liked it so much they bought another just like it to up the volume when they have company. Every time I go there to work on things for them mom cooks dinner using them. First time in my life she hasn't murdered a piece of meat. :lmao:

Haven't been real impressed with the one I got....I'd rather fry food in oil. That said, it does work good for heating up frozen burritos, and I need to try a twinkie in it.

when you guys are cooking chicken, like a chicken breast you are starting from a frozen chicken breast? Have been thinking about getting one. I bought the cosori instant pot clone pressure cooker and i really like that but cooking just a quick chicken breast from frozen in one step seems like a timesaver

Haven't been real impressed with the one I got....I'd rather fry food in oil. That said, it does work good for heating up frozen burritos, and I need to try a twinkie in it.

That's because it is impossible for 1500W of air heat to properly convert a frying surface. That requires 350F of liquid which has a high specific heat and at least 2500W of energy input to put heat into that oil when you drop 1lb of frozen things into it. Fries are even worse with their huge surface area.

So until someone figures out how to get the specific heat of air to increase AND to get more than 1500W out of a 110v/12a receptacle, no counter-top appliance will ever beat frying things in oil on a home gas stovetop. Things may be tasty, but it won't be 'fried'. They should actually be sued for false advertisement, but I think there's something where they've made it an acceptable parlance now.... dunno ianal.

Commercial fryers run in the 100,000 BTU range. They take 5 gallons of oil for 2 baskets, and have you ever looked at the flame on those things? Even then, they take a couple of minutes to heat back up after 2 baskets of fries.

Last edited:
Been doing a ton of wings lately now that they're in the grocery stores again. Beats the fuck out of paying $1+ a wing at most restaurants anymore.

steaks belong on a bbq or in a cast iron pan :flipoff2:

Agreed, but I wanted to try it just to see how they turn out.

I have been doing a bunch of marinated flank steaks in them though and they turn out awesome. Just throw em in a bag overnight with red wine vinegar, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic, and a healthy amount of horseradish mustard. I do the same thing with those little lamb t-bones when they're on sale.

Last edited:
We use ours all the time. Frozen goodies are my favorite. Burritos and corn dogs are amazing. The best thing that ever happened to Totino's Pizza rolls too. My absolute favorite is the Sausage and Pancake corn dog things Jimmy Dean makes. *Homer drool*:homer:

Last edited:
We use ours all the time. Frozen goodies are my favorite. Burritos and corn dogs are amazing. The best thing that ever happened to Totino's Pizza rolls too. My absolute favorite is the Sausage and Pancake corn dog things Jimmy Dean makes. *Homer drool*:homer:

Hot Pockets actually rule in them. 3 minutes at 400% and they come out at like the perfect temperature to eat.

I prefer our convection oven.

That's what they are :homer:...a convection oven. It just does it quicker than using a large oven. It's small and the fans are big.

Just used ours for the first time. Made tacos with EVO oil... Fricking delicious. I'll post up when we try other stuff. The drip pan warped a little...weird. It went back into shape when it cooled.

That's what they are :homer:...a convection oven. It just does it quicker than using a large oven. It's small and the fans are big.

Just used ours for the first time. Made tacos with EVO oil... Fricking delicious. I'll post up when we try other stuff. The drip pan warped a little...weird. It went back into shape when it cooled.

No shit, but the convection oven/microwave is more versatile and takes conventional baking pans and can cook an actual pizza. Plus it's a microwave and doesn't take up countertop space. It'll also rotate smaller pans for much more even cooking.

We bought a whiz bang paula dean air fryer, used it a few times and gave it to my son. It kicks ass making wings and tater tots, just not as great as we thought for everything else considering space and clean up.

No shit, but the convection oven/microwave is more versatile and takes conventional baking pans and can cook an actual pizza. Plus it's a microwave and doesn't take up countertop space. It'll also rotate smaller pans for much more even cooking.

We bought a whiz bang paula dean air fryer, used it a few times and gave it to my son. It kicks ass making wings and tater tots, just not as great as we thought for everything else considering space and clean up.

The glass door toaster oven types (like the one I posted above) are easy to clean so far. Just had to wipe it down. It's small enough to put it away somewhere but less convenient that way. It fits nicely where we use to keep the coffee pot so that's where it will live. I hate microwaving most foods because it makes things soggy. The oven takes too damn long. I'm going to be digging this thing if it lasts. :smokin:

Top Back Refresh