What's new

Why is my YJ all over the road

Mattafact

Yellow Skull
Member Number
Loc
The Real Valley
I bought a built YJ last year. It's linked with Fox coilovers and air bumps. I took it out on the test drive and it was all over the place at anything over 25mph. The heims in the steering were loose so I replaced all those. Still nearly uncontrollable.

It has a full PSC hydro assist system. Front axle is a spidertrax. Steering and track bar angles look good. All links are johnny joints. Has an antirock swaybar in the front.

Where should I start looking? Is that the nature of the beast with a linked rig?

Just check the caster and toe. Do like 1/8" toe in and ~8* caster, maybe more.

Best way I've learned to do toe is on jack stands. Mark each tire in one spot and roll it 180* each time you check it. This gets rid of most of the variables.

Angles looking good and are good are 2 completely different things.

Pics help
Whats your caster as stated above.

I also say caster and toe. Those 2 will make a rig miserable to drive if they aren't correct.

Sounds like a loose nut behind the wheel

There are more variables than there are steering parts.

Youve given almost zero information to try to work with.

Pretty much. All the high dollar parts mean nothing. Post some pics of the jalopy.

Couple pics of the front end.

20200627_120121.jpg

20200627_120056.jpg

Angle meter across the Allen heads on the steering knuckle show about 7 degrees. Can one infer caster from that?

20200627_125159.jpg

Depends on the location of the lower ball joint from there.

image.gif

Remove front driveline so you can play with caster without worrying about pinion angle. add caster then drive, note changes. add caster, drive until it handles properly. if it doesn't correct the problem then you will have at least eliminated caster as a factor. If it fixes it then you will know that you have to cut and turn the inner Cee's to get the caster with proper pinion angle.

Angle meter across the Allen heads on the steering knuckle show about 7 degrees. Can one infer caster from that?

Acounting for the angle of the floor....... if you floor isnt 0* then your caster may be higher or lower *
Typicaly 7* is the high limit and in fact is spec on a tj. Generaly 5-7* is target

Acounting for the angle of the floor....... if you floor isnt 0* then your caster may be higher or lower *
Typicaly 7* is the high limit and in fact is spec on a tj. Generaly 5-7* is target

Ok. I'll see what the floor is. It's double triangulated in the rear which genright says is not good for the street so maybe that's part of it.l too.

Top Back Refresh