What's new

Why are these ports open/uncapped. Turbo question

makemeknowit

Kwisatz Haderach
Member Number
Loc
Memphis, TN
Gotpropane turbo, 22R. Was like this when I got buggy. My turbo knowledge is limited. The 2 short clear hose pieces and the 2 on the bov
PHOTO_20210928_070925.jpg
PHOTO_20210928_070933.jpg

Is that "bov" mounted to the exhaust manifold?

Because it really looks like a wastegate. Which definitely needs to be hooked up. I'm guessing they had 1 port for the wastegate and 1 for a boost Guage unless that wg wants 2 reference lines.

Port on compressor housing for boost gauge?
The "bov" seems to have 3 ports?
Details, bigger coverage pics, what works and what doesn't..

So that's a wastegate and not a blow off valve in the first pic. Appears the internal gate has nothing on its 2 ports either. I'm confused as hell.
20211001_064041.jpg
20211001_064059.jpg
20211001_064708.jpg
20211001_064442.jpg

I see the bov twice
You uncovered a wastegate the two ports, tin can with a rod over to the turbine housing.
So the gate seems to have references for vacuum open and closed....
I don't have much knowledge to offer :frown:
Where's Stubbs
Spitballing here
Something about boost referenced porting for the bov, 2 port Wastegate can I got nuthing, 3 ports on the bov seems excessive...
No diagrams on got pane site?

Last edited:
Google tial wastegate plumbing. It's not hard. You just run a line to one of those ports.

After that, find a better spot for your steering Reservoir, because how it is now is retarded.

Your turbo has internal waste gate, plus you have external? None of which have their reference lines hooked up?

Also probably want a dump tube on the external waste gate so its not just blowing exhaust into the engine bay....

Are you guy's using "wastegate" and "bov" interchangeably???

Cuz them 2 units are on opposite sides of the piston....
In this case.
I R confuse ed:flipoff2:

Are you guy's using "wastegate" and "bov" interchangeably???

Cuz them 2 units are on opposite sides of the piston....
In this case.
I R confuse ed:flipoff2:
Nope, there are 2 waste gates and 0 bov's in these pics

First off: does it work, in a way you're "generally" happy with, as it is? If so, great, don't change much. If not, why not, and read on. I don't specifically recognize that turbo, so I will speak generically.

The actuator on the wastegate that's actually embedded in the turbo has two ports on it, one to hold it closed (most likely the rod side) and one to blow it open (most likely the cap side). Normally, you'd have manifold pressure hooked to one (or maybe both) of those, but with a boost solenoid (or two) controlling how much pressure is being put to the wastegate actuator, in order to manage boost.

To illustrate this a bit, on my turbo setup, I have only one wastegate actuation line. The can has a spring in it, and if I put pressure to the line, it opens the wastegate at some point when it overcomes the spring. I have a boost solenoid that is engine computer controlled, and it (grossly oversimplified) says X% throttle = X% wastegate pressure blockage. So I mash the gas, the boost solenoid says "no boost for you!" to the wastegate, and the wastegate is given zero help from the engine boost to open. At that point, it's just exhaust pressure vs. spring pressure to blow it open.

In your case, with nothing hooked up at all, you have full "natural" boost all the time, no help from what a lot of turbo guys call "dome control" to add more holding-shut help to the wastegate spring(s), and your turbo should make max designed boost for the airflow situation, all the time.

Other stuff: the two elbows on the aluminum ducting, should be either connected to something (boost gauge, blowoff valve, wastegate actuator) or plugged off, depending on what you want. Open is bad. Connecting one of them straight to the wastegate actuator can (depending on which side) can potentially create either minimized boost if you help the wastegate open, or runaway boost if you force the wastegate shut. Usually those would be attached to one side of a boost solenoid, and the other side to the wastegate actuation, to manage boost, but that would require either a boost control ready engine computer and boost solenoid, or a standalone boost controller (and still a boost solenoid).
The blowoff (?) on the exhaust manifold looks like just a popoff in case exhaust pressure goes too high. I'm not sure why you'd need that, much less why you'd want that dumping into the engine bay, unless the wastegate in the turbo itself is grossly undersized or non-functional. I'd probably remove that thing entirely and plug off its left-behind hole.

First off: does it work, in a way you're "generally" happy with, as it is? If so, great, don't change much. If not, why not, and read on. I don't specifically recognize that turbo, so I will speak generically.

The actuator on the wastegate that's actually embedded in the turbo has two ports on it, one to hold it closed (most likely the rod side) and one to blow it open (most likely the cap side). Normally, you'd have manifold pressure hooked to one (or maybe both) of those, but with a boost solenoid (or two) controlling how much pressure is being put to the wastegate actuator, in order to manage boost.

To illustrate this a bit, on my turbo setup, I have only one wastegate actuation line. The can has a spring in it, and if I put pressure to the line, it opens the wastegate at some point when it overcomes the spring. I have a boost solenoid that is engine computer controlled, and it (grossly oversimplified) says X% throttle = X% wastegate pressure blockage. So I mash the gas, the boost solenoid says "no boost for you!" to the wastegate, and the wastegate is given zero help from the engine boost to open. At that point, it's just exhaust pressure vs. spring pressure to blow it open.

In your case, with nothing hooked up at all, you have full "natural" boost all the time, no help from what a lot of turbo guys call "dome control" to add more holding-shut help to the wastegate spring(s), and your turbo should make max designed boost for the airflow situation, all the time.

Other stuff: the two elbows on the aluminum ducting, should be either connected to something (boost gauge, blowoff valve, wastegate actuator) or plugged off, depending on what you want. Open is bad. Connecting one of them straight to the wastegate actuator can (depending on which side) can potentially create either minimized boost if you help the wastegate open, or runaway boost if you force the wastegate shut. Usually those would be attached to one side of a boost solenoid, and the other side to the wastegate actuation, to manage boost, but that would require either a boost control ready engine computer and boost solenoid, or a standalone boost controller (and still a boost solenoid).
The blowoff (?) on the exhaust manifold looks like just a popoff in case exhaust pressure goes too high. I'm not sure why you'd need that, much less why you'd want that dumping into the engine bay, unless the wastegate in the turbo itself is grossly undersized or non-functional. I'd probably remove that thing entirely and plug off its left-behind hole.

I was 100% with you until you called the external wastegate a blow off valve :homer::flipoff2:

It's pretty common for guys using junkyard turbos to tack or shim shut the internal WG and run an external. Much better control.

Boosted exhaust:lmao:
Wastegate on outgoing (exhaust manifold) valve side, sounds jake ish:grinpimp:

Boosted exhaust:lmao:
Wastegate on outgoing (exhaust manifold) valve side, sounds jake ish:grinpimp:
External waste gate is pre turbo, to bleed off exhaust pressure if needed.

Op, hook up internal waste gate, plug extra ports and see what happens.

Ok
seems like a lotta work when the internal was already there.
yes I read the "they don't work so well" part, but no boost control?
I bet the pyro is mia....
poor yota
+1 on hook one up and test

Talked to a local friend who knows turbos, he said this exactly and P.O. likely did this to keep boost low.
Op, hook up internal waste gate, plug extra ports and see what happens.
Going to give this a try. Said turbo friend has a manual boost controller we will hook up.
First off: does it work, in a way you're "generally" happy with, as it is?
Motor has a cam to compliment the turbo and "as is" makes far more power than my previous 22R ftoy that was n/a
I don't specifically recognize that turbo, so I will speak generically.
Here's the info from gotpropane/Cary

Ok
seems like a lotta work when the internal was already there.
yes I read the "they don't work so well" part, but no boost control?
I bet the pyro is mia....
poor yota
+1 on hook one up and test

If you're running a smallish turbo to get quick spooling, a good waste gate is pretty important. Otherwise you can get boost creep at high rpms, which can end up blowing your shit up.

Pyro?

Do you even know what's going on here? :flipoff2:

Notta clue, just got that gelectricity in my cave...:laughing:

Having 2 items on the engine to "control boost" and defeating them seems :eek: to me...
Still ...
ok so egt's don't matter on gassers.... Fine:beer:
Interesting thread tho

Top Back Refresh